TKR missyjane’s new knee

Recovery is tough. Having someone laugh with you is a real blessing.
I like to say "I'll just wait here, shall I?" when my beloved goes off to fetch me something.
 
Wow, exactly one week ago tonight I was trying to doze in the hospital and still terrified of what was in front of me. I’m now halfway through the first two “really really rotten weeks.” Pain is pretty well controlled, I am getting some good sleep every night (and during the day) and I feel like I really can do this. Barry is my home PT and he has been pretty low key, as I requested. My big problem is wanting to please him and show off what I can do. That led to a tough afternoon yesterday with considerable swelling. Lots of rest today with gentle walking and plenty of ice took care of it. I have a plan for tomorrow - I won’t make a move until he asks and then no extra flourishes.
I had some new areas of stiffness and pain today that seemed to cry out for heat. With some apprehension I had my husband apply a hot washcloth, being careful to avoid the incision. Back of the calf, side of the thigh and some gentle rubbing seemed to melt the stiffness away. Thanks to the bonesmartie who shared that tip along the way.
I will be out of Percocet Thursday morning so guess it’s time to contact the OS office to discuss meds. Not quite ready to give up the narcotic sleep yet...
 
Well that post was a lot of sanctimonious BS! I felt pretty good when I got into bed and typed that out and then proceeded to the worst night so far. Couldn’t find a comfortable position to lie down, couldn’t relax - even my beloved Game Ready failed me. The cold started out feeling good but every time I moved the frame cut into a different place on my leg. So here’s the rest of the story: my son and grandson came through town on their way to vacation and stayed to visit for about 4 hours. It was great to see them but too long. I greeted them at the door and got up several times to walk to the bathroom without walking aids.
My daughter came by as we were finishing dinner and she stayed to visit so my husband could go for a long walk. Great to see her but more walking without aids and as the evening progressed it was harder and harder to find a comfortable place to sit. And then a miserable night. I’ve read so many posts from others that say I was feeling so much better and then I did too much and paid the price - oh vey!
Cancelled PT for today and focusing on rest, ice and elevation.
 
Why were you walking without aids?
 
PT challenged me to try briefly when he was here on Monday and I could do it so....showing off? That’s my husband’s analysis and I’m afraid he’s right. The walker is back in hand today.
 
It’s onky been a week. That PT doesn’t understand this recovery. Be very wary of him in the future.

I’m sorry you’re hurting so much. As much as we want to see visitors, they really do take a toll on us. :console2:
 
more walking without aids
Oh no, it's much too early in your recovery to do without walking aids. Also, too early to be doing all that you did yesterday. Nighttime pain is an indication of doing too much doing the day. When you have company, set a time limit and don't wait on them, make them wait on you!
 
Thank you sistersinhim and Jockette! Duly noted. I am a total non-athlete so it was a big thrill when PT told me I was hitting all the marks with ease. Guess I need to ignore his checklist and stick with the slow down philosophy.
 
I too agree with SistersinHim amd Jockette. I’m a Year next month, slow & steady was, still is, my motto.
 
You got overconfident and overdid. We've all been there at one time or another. Back to rest, :ice: and elevation for you! :heehee:
 
Welcome to the ODIC! Here at the Over Did It Club you get to have a sleepless night along with a side of swelling! :gaah:

Its unfortunate that some of the people we really want to see turn out to not be restful. My step mom is like that. Lovely person, but for some reason when I'm recovering she just sucks out all my energy.
 
Oh luvcats, that’s so insightful! Only restful people can come inside....
 
@hoopsgran Now that you know, let your husband advocate for you. Don't feel obligated to stay and chat. Let them know how glad you are they have come to see you, but that you are tired and then take yourself off to bed or something. My husband is getting very good at knowing who is restful and who is not and being the bad guy when it's necessary.
 
Thirteen days post surgery I had my first outing, dinner at my daughter’s house. I took a nap in preparation and was almost giddy to get in the car (so much easier than the trip home from the hospital!) She fixed a delicious meal, my grandsons made me laugh lots (even when they made fun of me for needing help with my shoes) and I’m now home wrapped up in the Game Ready. A good day all around!
 
Interesting observation: the Game Ready now feels super cold and not as comfortable as the first week or so. I think it’s because my swelling and inflammation are so much improved.
 
I haven’t posted here for awhile because things are progressing pretty uneventfully. But this morning brought a new quandary: is anyone else losing lots of hair? The shower drain was covered after I washed my hair this morning and each product application gave me another handful! Is this a reaction to surgery and drugs that I should have been expecting?
Hair loss after childbirth is a hormonal thing but a TKR doesn’t seem very hormonal. :what:
 
I was expecting that could happen to me too but so far not. After major surgery I read it was quite common. It'll come back but worrisome while it's happening. I just hope I'm over the hump in that respect.
 
Thank you @Jockette and @Benay! I’ll just have to relax and see what happens. I’m trying to give up color as well so my head is kind of a jumble right now :umm:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom