Guest viewing is limited

PKR Mettleinside's LPKR other side thread

Thank you @Jaycey @InkedMarie @Jockette @sistersinhim - I am about to just cancel my PT, or at least tell my PT no forceful bending the more I think of it (the discomfort). If I do it will create friction, I am sure. I am just like :sigh: that I have PT today. How come none of these professionals see it the Bonesmart way?

@Vioryny - Yea take your pain meds on schedule whether you think you need them or not. I had Oxy's which were OK for the first month then transitioned to Tylenol, which is working fine for me at 7+ weeks. Yes, I had a PKR and the pain was still horrible. Let me off this crazy ride.
Well, meds are ' as needed" , thus I think that I don't need to poison my body with opioids!
 
How come none of these professionals see it the Bonesmart way?
Well...for one, it's their livelihood. Also, most of them haven't experienced joint replacement surgery and recovery.
Hold your ground and let them know who's boss. :wink:
While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. It's still early in the entire scheme of things. Give it time.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
 
How are you doing one week after you last posted? How is PT going?
I hope you're doing well and feeling good on this special day. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Enjoy the weekend!
@Mettleinside
 
@Layla - Thanks for asking! I am doing OK - 8 week Dr, visit he said I was doing just as I should be. I measured 110 flex and he said that was OK but since he is going to scope my other knee on May 17th he wanted me to be able to "push" in PT to get my LPKR as strong as possible because it will be my good leg soon! To that end he gave me a shot of steroids (probably cortisone) in my LPKR to "take the edge off' when I do PT. I was super skeptical at first but allowed him to give me the shot.
No ill effects from it - actually it is helping me do my exercises at home with less pain, way less discomfort, really. But I can feel it is an artificial, masking type of relief not meant to be a permanent pain killer. I believe I am far enough in healing that when I do PT it feels like regular working out MORE than it feels like it is agitating my surgical site. I always let pain be my guide though. The shot seems to help so far!
This eased my mind a lot - we talked about my PKR being cementless and how the "satisfaction curve" vs cemented PKRs was different. Cemented implants have a higher satisfaction earlier (because it heals faster) but cementless have a higher overall, over time, satisfaction due to it feeling more like a natural knee and being stronger. The metal parts of the PKR have a porous backing that allows the bone to grow into it. This takes longer though, and makes me feel way better about my progress.
Hope all you Bonesmarties are healing well!
 
Hello and Happy Saturday,
I am sorry that your surgeon and PT do not have the patience to allow you the time to heal naturally without aggressive therapy and now an injection. Your surgeon confirmed that you're doing fine, but then gives you an injection to basically push through the pain of PT. You're likely further aggravating healing tissue, rather than allowing for healing. This makes me sad for you. :sad:

I am going to update your signature reflecting the May 17, right knee arthroscopy, if thats incorrect, let us know and we will edit accordingly. Please take it slow and easy and allow your body to do exactly what it was doing, heal in it's own time. Give yourself the TLC you deserve.
Thanks for the update, I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Mettleinside
 
@Layla - the aggressive PT manipulations were the worst part of my recovery but we have not done those for a couple weeks now as my PT knows I am not a fan. PT is going fine now, go figure.
As far as the injection - it has helped! As far as I know because I started Celebrex the day after the shot and since then I have got some of my mojo back! The knee is feeling a bit looser and not as irritable as before.
After 2+ months of recovery I have to say I my perfect version of PT recovery is 50% Bonesmart way and 50% traditional PT exercises. I grew up working out in the "no pain no gain" era so I get that part of it - but that does not work when someone comes freshly off the operating table and expected to do harsh stretches/exercises. I just needed a bit of time to get some healing under my belt before those manipulations took place. Now, since my pain levels are way better now I can start to put in some "no pain no gain" style (under control) days at the PT. Its almost like I'm at the gym and I like it!
Hope you Bonesmarties are doing well!
PS: I will do a search for Celebrex here but is this a drug people are using after knee replacement surgery? Thank you!
 
Hello and Happy Thursday!
Thankfully your knee is feeling better. That's great news! Take it slow and easy so you don't stall the progress you're making. I wish you luck as you continue your journey back to all that you love. :)
@Mettleinside
 
I had meniscectomy yesterday on my right knee and do I feel good! I do not want to jinx that but after my anesthesia wore off I was expecting loads of pain and weakness BUT HAD NONE OF THAT! There is no comparison to a PKR, it is (for Me) a literal walk in the park. I went into the surgery with doom and gloom on my mind thinking it was going to be painful but am very glad to be wrong. I am actually still in a state of disbelief due to my painful past experiences with joint replacementS.
I hope you are all healing well!
 
I had meniscectomy yesterday on my right knee and do I feel good!
Such good news! Going into surgery is such an anxious time. I am happy it's behind you and you're doing so well.
Happy Three Month Anniversary on your PKR! I hope the weather is beautiful in your neck of the woods and you're enjoying a beautiful holiday weekend. Take good care! :wave:
@Mettleinside
 
@Layla - Thank you for checking in! But, I knew I should have waited at least 1 more day after my meniscus (R) surgery before posting but the local did wear off and I felt it. Nowhere near as bad as a LPKR but it wasn't fun either. Also, I went into the ODIC on my right knee due to thinking I could walk 1 mile 4 days post op. I even had my cane and took baby steps but the repaired meniscus knee didn't really like it and I paid for it for about a day afterwards. No big deal, I am back on track but am not looking forward to going back to work in about 10 days. The LPKR will hold up no prob but I am worried about my meniscus repair, it may still need healing time. Oh well we will see. The LPKR is getting STRONG. I can feel the bone growing around the implant, I am kind of excited it is healing so well.
Also, we got Covid so life isn't very fun at the moment but those of us still sick are off work, its a holiday weekend, and we don't have to go anywhere so it really is not that big of a deal other than the flu like symptoms of Covid. There will be A LOT of Netflix, online games, some gentle PT in my near future so life could be MUCH WORSE!
Wishing you and all the Bonesmarties a happy and healing holiday!
 
Going back to work in 10 days might be being over-optimistic. I had 6 of them and my OS always kept me out of work for 6-8 weeks. Let your knee be your guide and don't push it too much.
 
Ugh! Covid...I'm so sorry. I hope you recover quickly.

I wish you had more time off work for healing, but sometimes that is out of our control. I hope your colleagues are understanding if you're uncomfortable and need to take a few extra breaks. With any luck, you'll be able to chill for the rest of the evening upon returning home after work until you get a little more healing under your belt.
Good luck and feel better soon!
@Mettleinside
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom