Massage before/after THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjorad

Country
United States United States
Random question- Will getting a deep tissue massage right before surgery cause an issue of any kind? I was originally planning on going in for a 90 minute thai/swedish massage the night before but now I'm second guessing myself. My thought process/concern is specifically will the increased circulation possibly affect blood loss during the operation?

Also (since I'm clearly an advocate of massage therapy), how long after surgery should I wait to return to a massage session? I figure I will have to get the "OK" from my physician regardless, but I was just curious if theres a ballpark time frame to abide by.

Thank you ahead of time for your time and concern! I love that I can always count on you all for tips and support! :angel:

Not at all knowledgeable about a massage just before surgery, although I personally would not hesitate to have a regular relaxation massage. The deep tissue issue....would never have occurred to me. Just don't know.

As for after....I waited two months after my first THR. And even then she pretty much stayed away from the incision area entirely. But otherwise no problem. I will also tell you that at four weeks, my PT wanted me to do an exercise while lying face down. I wasn't sure I could get in that position. But once I did, it was no problem. Still...a little daunting that early out.

And now I'm thinking I need to schedule some pamper time for myself. :)

Sharon

Thank you sharonslp for your input- you're always so helpful and quick to respond. If I could hug you, I would! :friends: After we knit a lil of course. :wink:

Anyhow, yes I adore a nice, thorough, deep tissue, heavy handed massage. I attribute that to the fairly long list of injuries I've had and the equally extensive amount of therapeutic massage/myofascial release Ive had throughout. Its incredible the difference massage makes!

An Effleurage massage for the whole of body with its long soothing strokes performed with the flat of the hand would be a very nice soothing massage and would be ok a few days before your surgery, which is Monday from memory.

Pre surgery, Providing your therapist sticks to effleurage over your entire body, it would drain toxins, stimulate your lymphatic system and the autonomic nervous system.

Pre surgery and especially post surgery (until your incision is well and truly healed and your restrictions are lifted) I would stay away from:

Petrissage, which is kneading and rolling and tends to concentrate on singular muscles.

Friction, which is called 'Connective tissue massage' where the therapist uses the thumb, fingertips of knuckles, often picking up the skin and is often used on tight spasm muscles of the back.

Tapotement, often called percussion movements, using the cupping method should not be used on bony areas or any area of new surgery where there is traumatized tissue.

There is a lot of studies demonstrating that effleurage massage can greatly reduce post surgery pain because of its analgesic effect, is great for reducing edema, it is also great for prevention or reduction of the formation of scar tissue.

However, Always, always check with your OS or GP post surgery to ensure there are no contraindications (especially infection).

As Sharon stated, you will find it difficult to lay on your tummy for quite some time post surgery and most likely won't be thinking of wanting a massage.. too busy sleeping, resting, elevating, icing and taking your prescribed pain meds :)

I find at 9 months post, I perform effleurage massage on my legs, bottom and where I can reach on my back with a combination oil of Eucalyptus, Tea Tree and a good Olive oil. I have found this works magic on the odd muscle twinge and is also very good for OA.

Good luck for Monday cjorad;

Thank you Poppet- you are also always full of useful info. I appreciate you very much! :friends: OUR big day (for different reasons) is right around the corner! So close now!!

What is the reason behind staying away from petrissage, friction and tapotement pre-surgery?

Too much stimulation, you need a good gentle whole of body lymphatic drainage massage (effleurage) which has been studied and shown that surgeons find it easier to make an incision through clean, well drained tissue. This creates a higher chance for a nicer approximation of the scar.

Post surgery, you won't be ready or indeed willing to want a deep tissue, heavy handed massage for quite some time.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom