TKR Made it to the other side

tehdarwinator

Country
United States United States
Well, I had my LTKR on December 18th. I got to go home the next day but I had a rough night in the hospital and again when I came home. I was expecting the knee pain but after I got home, my whole leg from thigh to ankle was having constant muscle spasms. Oddly enough, the spasms themselves were not nearly as painful as the fact that my leg would jump up and then come down with a jarring thud. Happily, I called my OS’s office and he immediately prescribed me a muscle relaxant. Maybe I will get some rest tonight.:tada:

Welcome to Bonesmart! Those leg jumps can be terribly painful. They aren't that unusual and you did the right thing by calling your doctor.

The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congratulations on your new baby knee and welcome to the other side! Calling or messaging your doctor was the exact right thing to do, and I hope the new med allows you to get at least some sleep. Sleeplessness is a very common complaint after this surgery, so don't be surprised if you still have some wakeful nights. Just try to nap during the day when you can to help with any lack of sleep at night. Keep us updated as you recover, ask any questions you may have, and please also post about your successes.

Thank you for the encouraging words! I am unfortunately one of those Type A folks, so the loss of control is discouraging. I was counting on having pain, but I didn’t take into account the dreaded log leg issue. I have a very gentle set of exercises to do and that leg simply won’t move by itself. I can barely manage the ankle pumps with that swollen leg. I am blessed with a husband who can work at home for the next week, and he is doing everything for me. I just hate having to NEED him to do everything. :thud:

I have a very gentle set of exercises to do and that leg simply won’t move by itself. I can barely manage the ankle pumps with that swollen leg.
It's only 4 days since you had major surgery. Your knee is wounded. Forget about the exercises for now,except for the ankle pumps. Just walking to and from the bathroom is enough exercise at this stage.

The log leg will go. Right now, it's protecting your knee from being over-used.

Forget about feeling bad because you need help. I'm sure that. if the situation were reversed you would gladly help your husband. Well, now it's his turn to step up to the plate and do his share of nurturing.
This article may help you to feel better about needing help:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

@tehdarwinator That log leg gets better, anyway, but something that helped me was to think that the first inches are the hardest. It seemed like once I could manage the first inch of lifting the leg, the rest of the lift got easier.

It is also the case that the log leg improves, so that’s something to look forward to.

Hope things get easier soon.

Triumph! I managed to get up from bed this morning all by myself. Two things made this possible: I got a good night’s sleep thanks to the muscle relaxant, and I was able to bend my surgery leg enough to put my foot flat on the floor. That was a biggie. :yahoo:

I have my first PT appointment tomorrow, we’ll see how that goes. If they use that point as my baseline ROM I should make a brilliant improvement once I have control of the leg. I had a pre-appointment with the therapist and she sounded like she would not press me beyond my abilities. I feel confident at saying no if things start to get out of hand.

Triumph! I managed to get up from bed this morning all by myself
Awesome! :happydance: We totally understand how happy these things make us. (Things we never even noticed before!)
I feel confident at saying no if things start to get out of hand
This is also awesome. It’s your knee and your recovery.

Since your leg is still swollen be sure not to let the therapist do any pushing on you that causes any more than very mild discomfort. Doing more will just increase swelling and pain. Your leg needs to settle. Also, be sure you are taking whatever pain meds you're on by a schedule whether you're feeling pain or not. That will help with your muscle spasms as well in these early days. Don't be concerned if you're sleeping during the day. Rest, ice and elevation are important components of the healing process.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom