TKR Made It To The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are NOT a slug and sadly, it probably won't be the last ignorant comment you receive. This recovery is LONG and there is nothing we can do to speed it up. I'm glad that you have a friend whose been through this themselves to call for support, but know that we're all here for you too. Since we've been thru this 'awesome' (heh) procedure and recovery, we know exactly what it takes and what everyone goes through. Heck, next time you get a stupid comment, just say, 'but I'm doing soooo much better than (insert my name here) 'cause she's at 12 weeks and still walks with a limp and has to use a cane sometimes' :wink:

You're doing great, so don't let anyone make you feel otherwise!
 
I have my 6 wk check up tomorrow...pain has gradually gotten worse since last week. Can't seem to bend near as far as I was, my whole leg hurts. PT has changed some exercises, which pulled a great deal but weren't painful, now they are. Knee seems to stay way more swollen than before, despite near constant icing. Still experiencing nausea/headache about the same time every, anti-nausea meds have helped some. Feel like I am in a holding pattern...I am doing everything they are telling me to do and am getting nowhere, maybe even worse. Will discuss with OS tomorrow and PT on Friday. Steeling myself for a battle with OS over pain meds. I don't feel like I should be stepped down, what I am taking is barely getting the job done as it is. I wished I didn't feel like they were all thinking I am snorting them off the counter, but that's the feeling I get sometimes. I know I will have to be weaned off them when its time, just don't think it is time! Heading to bed, appt is early morning...and mornings are awful. Hope all is well for you all!
 
I'm sorry you're having a bad week. I wonder why your pain is worse. :-( I bet you're doing too much at PT. Be honest with your OS about your pain and that you're not ready to step down yet. Honestly, who cares if they think you're snorting them off the counter - you know you're not. You certainly be 'stepping down' when your pain is worse than it was a week ago. Good luck tomorrow and maybe take a little knee-cation from PT for few days?
 
Sometimes you do have a delayed effect from the PT. Have you gone gentle for a few days like DogLover suggested? How are you this weekend?
 
Dr appt with OS on Thursday went very well....he put me off work 5 more weeks (yikes-they didn't like that too much) and refilled pain meds as they were. Told him the problems I was having with PT...he suggested talking to them, so on Friday I did and it went much better. Got my panties in a twist for nothing. (*again*). Thanks @DogLoverx3 and @kneeper things are going better...I did lay off any exercises Thursday...iced all day and finally got swelling down and could bend my knee. PT found alternative exercises and said I was walking with the cane much better, that I should use it at home instead of the walker. I can except for when I first get up in the mornings...still stumble around a lot so use the walker then. Well...gotta go do some exercises :) Everyone have a great day.
 
I used to do that for a while too--walker when I first got up and then switch to the cane.
 
@Josephine - I have a question about pain meds....

I am taking Norco (was Lortab - hydrocodone 7.5 with 325 mg of acetominaphen) every 6 hrs as needed. I was taking (before surgery) meloxicam 15mg 1x per day and supplementing it with 650 mg of acetaminophen and ½ of a lortab. Prior to meloxicam, I took Voltaren for several years.

Very honestly, my stomach has had it...cannot seem to tolerate any NSAID even with a pill to help with stomach acid. Just not going to take them. Our GP's and OS's here in the states flip out if you ask about taking additional acetaminophen and always say to take NSAIDS which is the opposite of your advice (which appears to be what is normally followed in the UK?)

I could really use something to help with the norco. My OS suggested Tramadol which I will not take as it seems to "erase" my memory. Previously when taking this, I would look at work I had done the day before and not believe what I was seeing. Didn't feel loopy, just seems to jumble my brain. I read there are other side effects with NSAIDS as well - i.e. kidney problems.

Do you see a problem with me taking a 650 mg acetaminophen once or twice per day - normally take about 3 norco's per day - so that is 325mg x 3 plus possibly 1300 mg - way less than 3000 or 4000 mg. (Me, being the conspiracy theorist I am, I think that big Pharma wants to push the NSAIDS = more money) Any advice is appreciated, I did read the articles you have linked regarding the 2. I realize you cannot give me "medical instruction" just would like your opinion and thoughts.
 
I realize you cannot give me "medical instruction" just would like your opinion and thoughts.
I can't give medical advice? I seem to do it all the time! :snork:


Very honestly, my stomach has had it...cannot seem to tolerate any NSAID even with a pill to help with stomach acid. Me, being the conspiracy theorist I am, I think that big Pharma wants to push the NSAIDS = more money)
No conspiracy, my dear - plain fact! There certainly are conflicting notions about acetaminophen and NSAIDs but compared without bias, acetaminophen is perfectly safe if confined to the daily max of 4,000mg per 24hrs including any that might be in another medication such as Norco. Many cold remedies also contain it which is why the FDA recently reduced its recommended max to 3,000mg per 24hrs to allow for those dumb-nuts who don't educate themselves about it!

As for possible side effects there are factors which need to be taken into account here: acetaminophen is safe if taken sensibly and within guidelines. BUT if the patient has liver problems then it's a hazard and should be avoided.

The NSAIDs - and there are scores of them! - on the other hand can be a danger to everyone and even a few doses can cause damage to the stomach and the kidneys. Our own Poppet has CKD (chronic kidney disease) caused by a relatively short course of NSAIDs. It can also cause stomach bleeds which can be catastrophic and life threatening. I've read many medical articles over recent years by doctors warning of the increasing rise of these cases. Though the most common side effect is heart burn, reflux and increased acid production. People also alarm me by casually referring to "stomach protectors" like Omeprazole which can control this as if it made it okay to continue taking the NSAIDs but I believe that to be irresponsible. Omeprazole might reduce the acid production but in the long term, this won't really protect the stomach from the ravages of the NSAIDs. So my advice is don't take them! Especially not if you already have had stomach problems either from them or some other reason.

NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers

Incidentally, this not a UK issue, it's worldwide.
 
Thanks @Josephine :whistle: Certainly didn't mean to imply you were not capable of giving medical advice, but only that you couldn't provide specific instruction only for me! Sorry if I caused any offense! I am really taking the advice to heart, because I took Voltaren for about 7-8 years, prior to that, for some gynecological issues, doc had me taking 2400 mg of ibuprofen daily. And then the Mobic. Apparently, I should thank the stars above I even have a stomach lining at all. Will dump the Aleve, ibuprofen and not refill the Mobic and stick with acetominaphen. Thanks again!:thankyou:
 
Exhausted today....kept thinking, maybe I need to make an appointment with my GP and get my blood checked, maybe I am anemic. But then realized I have been on my feet a LOT the last few days...maybe that's it? The fatigue and lack of stamina is really getting to me. I keep thinking if I push myself, I can build up the stamina. So far, hehe, that's not really working out. UGH. Bright spot - I went to the SPCA yesterday (a fellow animal lover took me) and adopted a year old cat. My last cat died last Thanksgiving...it was the first time since I was 3 that I had not had a cat. Lasted as long as I could...just missed having one so bad. Anyway, Harley the cat picked me so now I have a lap warmer and a new buddy. Max, my dog, just looked at me like, "Really??, again?" Yep.
 
Only time and rest will cure the energy drain which is typical in the first few months. Give yourself permission to get lots of rest even though you are also increasing your activity. Pace yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom