THR Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Accompanied by 2-Calcified Hips (the Right Fused)

I had my last doctor appointment today (6/12), prior to my 6/17 surgery date.

About 1-1/2 years ago, contemplating lumbar surgery, I obtained a cardiologist to check that all was working well.

After a heart echo and a CT Angiogram (in place of a stress test), which I and my doctor recommends BTW. All was well, with some mild to moderate artery narrowing -- but nothing to be concerned! Not bad for a 74-year old seasoned citizen. Surgery was approved previously (which I didn't have in lieu of THR's first) and I assumed I would get the same results today, and I did!:)

Frankly, with 5-days to go, my apprehension about the procedure has slightly decreased. No small part of that reduction has been due to what I’ve found on BoneSmart:thumb: and to the massive amounts of research I've been doing for several years, which has ramped-up considerable over the last few months.

Post-THR remains a concern. But that's due to NOT fully knowing what to expect. And because of so many variables between each of us, there is no way for anything but a general prognosis. But the folks here and from other sources, have provided good generalized advice. Of specific interest were: YouTube videos by Jonathan Yerasimides, M.D. and those with: “Talking with Docs”.

For all future endeavors, I tend to expect the worst (so it can be mitigated) and be happy when the worst doesn't occur. But, I understand that I must temper the worst. Because I don’t believe it’s prudent, or helpful, to be at either end of the Worst-to-No-Worries continuum.

What has been most comforting is trust in my OS, Dr. Joshia Carter, Indpls., IN. He has 282, 5-Star reviews on Google and I’ve spoken to 3-folks who have used him as their OS. All of that helps, along with what I mentioned in one of my above posts, the pre-op in-home visit by a nurse, who is also a physical therapist. My OS’s staff helped arrange that visit and I highly recommend a pre-op visit, in order to get the lay of the land as it were.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Accompanied by 2-Calcified Hips (the Right Fused)
    Talking with the Docs.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 38
  • [Bonesmart.org] Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Accompanied by 2-Calcified Hips (the Right Fused)
    Johnathan Yerasimides, MD.png
    1 MB · Views: 45
Happy Two Month Anniversary, MusicMan!
How are you doing? We haven't heard from you in awhile.
Not too long to wait now until your Left THR. Wishing you comfort as you await your surgery date.
I love Talking With Docs!
@Music_Man
 
Thanks for reaching out, Layla.

All is going well with my recovery as I wait for my Left THR on Sept.9.

The Right THR has went quite well. The wound has healed nicely. Thankfully, swelling was minimal from day one and the upper thigh and buttock pain from the surgery and the lack of feeling, have dissipated approx. 90%.

I remain using a 3-wheel rollator as I've done for approx. 6-years. I will be curious to see how much of my pain and immobility my lumbar spinal stenosis has been causing, after the hips are replaced. Whether I can go back to a cane, or no walking aids, time will tell. I’m pessimistic, but hopeful (if that makes sense). This is especially true, if nothing is done to remedy my spinal situation – e.g., injections, surgery etc.

Now that I have an inkling what to expect, I’m less concerned going under the knife (hammers and saws:)). But of course, I remain wary, but hopeful all will go according to Hoyle, as did my first surgery. The OS did run into an issue, in that he had to obtain a tool he didn’t expect, because my femur’s configuration was different than assumed. As the OS advised my wife, while he prepared for and instrumented-up for the issues on X-ray that he thought my fused hip would present, those were less than anticipated and readily remedied. I assume after my Right THR, my OS will be armed with what will be needed for my Left and the learning curve of my Right, will translate to my Left and reduce the added surgical time that resulted with my Right. :fingersx:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom