TKR LKTR 19 May recovery

At barely more than one week post op, I think those exercises are a bit unnecessary. If it was me, I would consider just walking around the house as needed and doing some very gentle flex movements to keep my knee mobile, as all the exercise I needed.
 
Day 11:
I am doing well. I can do all my daily activities and exercises without my husband's help now. But he insists on waking him up if I want to go to bathroom in middle of night.
I don't use walker much. I use cane now. Have reduced my Oxy to 1/2 in morning and 1 at bedtime, continuing with tylenol [2 thrice a day] and Celecoxib twice a day.
 
Day 12:
Went to my daughter's place and spent 4 hours. Everything was good. But last hour, after my backward walking and sitting on dining table for 45 minutes, my leg became very stiff. We returned immediately after dinner. But my shinbone, calf muscle and knee itself was hurting. Rested and decided to take next day easy.

Day 13: As decided, took the day easywith less exercise and more rest. Feeling good now. My doctor had told me that PT will start in a week to 10 days time. I started it on day 10 and next one is on June 3.
Normally how many PT sessions are required if recovery is normal? Did anyone have shinbone pain?
 
I definitely had shin bone pain! Did you have robotic surgery? I did and my OS had to hammer pins (he called it an “array”) into that area. It still pains me on and off. Actually, if you talk to some folks here, they had no formal PT. Others had many sessions, I had about 8 sessions. Everyone is different, so there is no required number.
 
PT sessions can be helpful but they are not essential. It all depends on the therapist you get and what you do at PT.

As Sisterpat said, some of our members never go to formal PT, and they have great outcomes. If I ever do this surgery again, I will do my own “rehab” at home. I had more than one bad experience with my PT, so I’m a bit leery of it, for me. We have other members who really like going to PT, they have therapists they trust and they enjoy the social aspect.

I went to PT 3 times a week for the first 4 weeks, but I’ve since learned that 3 times a week is not necessary. After my bad experiences, I only went to PT 3 times the second month, and I was discharged just before the 8 week mark because I could do everything their checklist.
 
@Sandy11 Hi Knee Twin! I have no shin pain, but some thigh/quad muscle pain. It seems to loosen up once I start walking. I did not have robotic surgery.
As for PT, I think most people here who decide to have it end up continuing only if it helps more than hurts. Like Sisterpat said, that varies per person. I started in-home PT right away because I didn't know any better and my surgeon stressed it was important in the first two weeks. It has turned out okay for me, but I had to be very firm with my therapist from the beginning. Luckily, she gets it. I will not continue PT after my in-home visits end in 3 more sessions.
Good luck to you. Keep us updated.
 
Did you have robotic surgery?
No mine was conventional surgery.
Yes, have seen different view points and experiences with PT on this forum. Mine, fortunately, doesn't seem to be aggresive. Let me see how it goes. :)
Today don't have shinbone pain. No swelling since last 4-5 days. Only the nagging mild calf pain remains. But atleast there should be something to remind me that I have had a major surgery afterall.:wink:
 
PT visit today: She was quite impressed with my progress. I did bicycling for 5 minutes and then she showed me some other exercices removing earlier ones from the list. My ROM which was 85 last Friday was 115 today. Hope I continue to progress same way. I am taking BoneSmart advise very seriously and try not to join Overdoers club :heehee:
I was planning to do my other leg TKR sometime in August. Would like your viewpoint on the same. My right leg has level 3 arthritis. It hurts many times, but comes under control after I apply gel and rest. My theory is due to me left bad leg, right was taxed more causing pain. Once my left gets stronger, right will not have extra load.
Today when visiting PT, I accidentally met my surgeon and asked him. He said level of arthritis is not important, but how much pain you have is important.
If I want surgery in August, I have to let him know immediately to book my slot. What should I do? Should I wait to see how I do or book for surgery now and cancel it if I don't feel the need by August? I don't feel good about just reserving my spot if I am taking someone's who needs it.
 
That’s a tough decision. Both my knees were painful to begin with so I had them both done 8 weeks apart. I feel the arthritis would have only progressed and I’m not getting any younger so I wanted to strike while the iron was hot and when I was still in pretty good shape. I was bone on bone both knees. If you are hurting it will only get worse. If the pain is still minimal you might want to wait. Don’t feel pushed into anything. See what the others suggest here.
 
If you are hurting it will only get worse. If the pain is still minimal you might want to wait. Don’t feel pushed into anything.

Should I wait to see how I do or book for surgery now and cancel it if I don't feel the need by August? I don't feel good about just reserving my spot if I am taking someone's who needs it.

That’s a tough one. I agree with Sisterpat, and I also understand how you wouldn’t want to take a spot that someone else might need more.

Most will probably say just get it done, but I think for me, I’d rather give my current knee more healing time so it would be stronger and more healed when you do the second one.

@Sisterpat How is your first knee faring, having to become the stronger one, so early in recovery?
 
That’s a tough decision. Both my knees were painful to begin with so I had them both done 8 weeks apart. I feel the arthritis would have only progressed and I’m not getting any younger so I wanted to strike while the iron was hot and when I was still in pretty good shape. I was bone on bone both knees. If you are hurting it will only get worse. If the pain is still minimal you might want to wait. Don’t feel pushed into anything. See what the others suggest here.
Haven't heard from anyone except you and Jockette.
My right knee is not that bad, though it does hurt walking on slops or doing stairs.

@Sisterpat How is your first knee faring, having to become the stronger one, so early in recovery?
Sisterpat, how did your first TKR feel in first 2 weeks after you got 2nd one done. Was it very difficult and painful having both legs in recovery?
 
My incision is still covered under the mesh my surgeon put at the time of surgery. I have been told that it will come off on its own and if by week 3 it does not, I can peel it off in shower. I intend to do it tomorrow or day after as only sides have come off a bit.
Does the incision area hurt or feel tender after the covering mesh is taken off?
 
The incision will probably feel tender for quite a while, it’s a deep one. Be very careful peeling off the mesh, I would do it slowly. Let us know how it goes.
 
Today is my 3 week anniversary.
Today I took off the mesh covering my incision. It is dry and looks okay. Doesn't feel any different otherwise except, the stretching feeling is gone.
I have no swelling, Little pain when I get up or move after sitting for more than 1/2 hour in one position. Since last week, I have stopped icing and elevation and my ROM is 115. I don't use cane except when doing stairs. I am now able to go up the stairs (holding on to the rail and cane in other hand) foot over foot. Today I tried descending also foot over foot. It was not very bad. I have 16 steps in my stairs. I walk 10-15 minutes twice and small rounds every hour or so. My walking gait is still not good. I sway a bit on sides.
Medication is still 1/2 Oxycodon 2x, 1 Cellebrex 2x, 2 Tylenols 3x.

I was planning to do my other leg TKR sometime in August. Would like your viewpoint on the same. My right leg has level 3 arthritis. It hurts many times, but comes under control after I apply gel and rest. My theory is due to me left bad leg, right was taxed more causing pain. Once my left gets stronger, right will not have extra load.
As of now, have decided to wait on my right knee replacement. I will see how good I feel on my left knee and how its improvement affects my right knee pain. If necessary, I will go for it in next yearMay. Hope I am doing this right. :fingersx:
 
@Jockette Sorry I missed your question from last week and Sandy’s also (been dealing with a sick cat here).
i suppose my first knee would have been a bit happier if I had not put extra strain on it to carry me through the 2nd knee, BUT the 2nd knee was so bone on bone and painful it wouldn’t have been much help with the first knee anyhow! They both bother me on and off depending on activity, but the good news is that IT’S OVER! And I am so glad they are done.
Sandy, sounds too early to stop elevating and icing. Most of us do it for months. Don’t stop the things that helped you in the 1st place.
 
been dealing with a sick cat here
Sorry to know about your cat. Hope she feels better soon.

From the beginning, I had not done much of icing and elevation as both were making me very uncomfortable. Initially I did have some swelling around my ankles too. But nothing helped me much. So I stopped.

BUT the 2nd knee was so bone on bone and painful
I understand your problem. My right knee is not that bad. So have decided to wait for a year.
 
Hello friends,
Sorry for being away for a long time.

I was recovering quite well. But on June 10th, I had a stroke and was in hospital for 2 days. This had a set back on my recovery, I believe.

I have achieved full range of motion [135] as checked by my PT on 7/7. I do exercises in morning for about 45 minutes - all lying in bed. During the day, I am not as active as you. I spend lot of time on my laptop.

When I walk for more than 10 minutes on a flat surface, my knee joint starts hurting, with tightness in front and back, and sometimes needle like pain on side. There is no pain in my calf or thigh. When I walk for longer time, the pain level is at 5-6 out of 10. The type of pain is like a hard object is pounding on my knee.

The pain situation while resting and standing hasn’t changed. Meaning, I have no pain if I am sitting or lying down for upto 30 minutes. After that, my leg becomes quite stiff and hurts. My sleep at night is constantly disturbed due to this. It also hurts if I stand for more than 5 minutes.

For pain management, I take 2x3 times Tylenol [3000 mg total].

Not sure what to do to get normal walking and get rid of the clamping feeling on my operated leg.
 
So sorry to hear about this setback Sandy. Hope you can find a path to less pain and more mobility.
 
I’m sorry to hear about your stroke, I hope that aspect is much better now.

As far as the pain you feel when moving around, it’s fairly common for 9 weeks post op, I was like that, too. This will improve, in time, as you heal.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom