Rockgirl4
Former BoneSmart staff member
It truly depends on the person. Most people need a full year to recover from a TKR, and the stiffness/swelling can easily last up to 18 months from what my surgeon told me. Some people swell more and stay stiff longer, for all sorts of reasons. 
Personally, I am prone to severe stiffness and continued swelling, as I learned from 10 other knee surgeries. My surgeon's advice was to keep riding a stationary bike 5 minutes a day, each morning, to keep the knee loose. This has sometimes helped and sometimes not, depending on my circumstances at the time over the last year. I will be 1 year post-op in a couple of weeks. I also found a walking routine was great for getting my full extension back and no longer limping. The "heel-toe" step was crucial though, and it's better to go slower and walk correctly than to try walking quickly and incorrectly.
It easily took me 8-9 months to get my full extension back, and on high-swelling days (we moved recently), I had trouble getting completely straight again until I iced more and got the swelling back down.
I just want to say I KNOW it's frustrating though.
I'm sitting her trying to decide whether to settle for a teleconference with my knee surgeon for my 1 year follow-up or insist on an in-person appointment. I'm still aggravated with my bend. I have 90-95 degrees and CAN exercise, just not the way I want to.
Just keep in mind everyone is different and there's time for improvement. All of us are our own little science experiments.
As for me, I KNOW I have mild Arthrofibrosis plus an Autoimmune disease (Psoriatic Arthritis). It took LOTS of history and trial/error to determine this, and I had a major scarring disaster after my ACI surgery in 2015/16. Luckily this taught me to be kind to my knee. I rehabbed slower than most, following my Dr's orders to get the best outcome for ME----I know if I hadn't listened, I'd probably be stuck at 75-80 degrees of flexion instead of 90-100.
So please don't give up on your knee yet. There's plenty of time for improvement.
Personally, I am prone to severe stiffness and continued swelling, as I learned from 10 other knee surgeries. My surgeon's advice was to keep riding a stationary bike 5 minutes a day, each morning, to keep the knee loose. This has sometimes helped and sometimes not, depending on my circumstances at the time over the last year. I will be 1 year post-op in a couple of weeks. I also found a walking routine was great for getting my full extension back and no longer limping. The "heel-toe" step was crucial though, and it's better to go slower and walk correctly than to try walking quickly and incorrectly.
I just want to say I KNOW it's frustrating though.
I'm sitting her trying to decide whether to settle for a teleconference with my knee surgeon for my 1 year follow-up or insist on an in-person appointment. I'm still aggravated with my bend. I have 90-95 degrees and CAN exercise, just not the way I want to.
Just keep in mind everyone is different and there's time for improvement. All of us are our own little science experiments.
So please don't give up on your knee yet. There's plenty of time for improvement.

United States
An ankle that doesn't bend right will DEFINITELY mess with the way you walk.