TKR Lizziebeth's recovery thread

@Jodingers
Hi Jodingers. You seem to be progressing well, well done! It's difficult to remember, but I feel this knee is not responding as well as the first one. I've been happy to get around without aids since week 3, although if I'm walking on rough ground as in our stoney, lumpy garden, I feel more secure on crutches. When visiting Mum, the stairs in the hospital caused no problem, but I find our stairs at home difficult. It's a curved staircase, the stairs are uneven heights and there is no bannister. I found them difficult with arthritis before the ops and often got stuck halfway up.
Happy Spring Bank Holiday - are you doing anything exciting?
 
Hi @Lizziebeth well I was doing well until I overdid it a couple of days ago + am spending a few days back in the ice /elevate as much as possible stage. My new knee certainly shouted at me.
So, this Bank Holiday is going to be very quiet!! My garden is sloped upwards and rather bumpy too!
I hope you're progressing nicely and gently, wherever you are I hope you have a bit of nice weather. :wave:
 
@Jodingers
Hi Jodingers, I tend to overdo it sometimes too. I go out to do half an hour weeding and before I know it a couple of hours has passed! The trouble is you don't realise until the evening or next day when the knee gets back at you!
Perhaps the surgeons should attach a microchip alarm to the implant to warn us when we've done enough. :)
We live on the Northern Fells of the Lake District - very hilly and bumpy.
 
@Lizziebeth I live in Nottingham, not half as picturesque as your neck of the woods I'm sure! How on earth do you bend down to do weeding? Or do u have raised beds?
My knee has felt as big as my head since overdoing it on Saturday, it sounds a grand idea to have a microchip inserted!
We moved last June and have a huge woodland cottage garden which is beautiful but was very overgrown. I've enjoyed watching my partner working on it!
 
I think we start to feel better and then overdo, forgetting how long this recovery takes. Then, that night and the next few days then knee reminds us that it is still in control.
 
It is now 16 months since Left TKR and 7 months Right TKR. The right knee is doing fine and causes only a little discomfort, however, the left knee is sometimes quite painful. I do fell walking most Saturdays and lots of gardening - bending from the waist for weeding but no trouble digging. Gym once a week (with personal trainer) and chiropractor once a month.
My concerns are: Rising to my feet is painful, I still have problems getting off a sofa and with our terrible staircase; Hubby says that I walk very slow; I still have restless legs though not every night (due to medication); itch and tingling in both legs, both ands and arms nearly all the time. However, my main problem - I can't turn in bed without getting out and getting back in the other way round.
I feel well in myself. My GP has suggest nerve tests - has anyone experienced this.

Hope you are all feeling well and drowning in this awful weather!
Hugs and kisses xxx
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom