TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

You’re coming along fine. My husband spoiled me, too! :roseshwr:

:roseshwr:Enjoy being spoiled! I think that it really makes them feel needed and helpful in our recovery! It was hard at first being hovered over as I am quite independent,but the more I gave in to Hubbys doting on me the more I saw him pleased he has been able to help. He reminded me that I had doted on him through his cancer and his heart attack. So that’s just what we do for our loved ones. So blessed to have someone to care!

Well, woke up this morning huffing and puffing at every move, fed up with not being able to do more, sleep more and it's only 3 weeks tomorrow. Why is it that when you know it's going to be a long, slow haul, your mind decides to rebel? I'm aware I sound very whiny and whinge this morning, think I need a change of scenery. I'm actually looking forward to the trip to PT on Tuesday. The weather doesn't help, grey, wet and windy, looks like I feel! I know I've had a fairly easy time so far, shouldn't have anything to grumble about, need to get a grip. Took the dressing off this morning, scar looking good, but on the lumpy side. Sorry about the whining, just needed to get it out.

@Smokey253 @Jockette Yes, we're very lucky aren't we? I feel even worse about my moan now :groan:

My husband's so healthy, thank goodness! I'm the old crock,that gets everything and he's always there for me. He's had to do a lot more this time round and he's been brilliant.

I have felt the same as you more then once since surgery. It does help to get it out for sure. This is not a recovery that I ever expected nor was I prepared for. There have been some dark days for me even though I am so blessed. Go ahead and let it out. Even though it doesn't really help to hear it, and I'm not sure I believed it either, it really does get better. You will start to get great satisfaction from the smallest of things. That's how I knew I was going to be okay and you will too. Hugs!

Thanks ladies. Nobody knows like those 'walking' the same path. Even when you know there are going to be ups and downs, it doesn't make the downs any easier. Hope you're both having a good day. :thankyou:

You whine away...none of us are super heroes. I find myself also looking forward to my 1st OS and PT appts. coming up. I feel that I am looking at life passing me by...this forum is a life line to me. Amongst similar people from all over experiencing similar recoveries . I am so thrilled to be talking to individuals from across the US as well as New Zealand, United Kingdom, Scotland and My nearest neighbor to the north Canada. I don’t feel so shut away! :sos: Gotta love modern technology and the internet! :flwrysmile:

Good morning everyone! The sky is blue, the sun is shining AND I woke up at 5.15 this morning :yes!: first night I've not seen 12 and 2 on my clock!:wowspring:I feel like a different person to yesterday. Even my scar looks and feels better today and moving from bed to walking felt easier, forget to take stick to the bathroom. My knee is officially 3 weeks old, well nearly. I was still under the knife at this time. Wishing you all around the world a good day today. :)

Last night wasn't too bad. I did see 1.00 and 3.00 on the clock, but went back to sleep quite quickly and woke at 5.15 feeling very stiff - the downside of sleeping longer I guess! Knee seemed a little more painful today and, stupidly, I missed a dose of painkillers before heading off to my first physio appt.
What a lovely physio! He didn't push anything, just encouraged gently. He said I was doing very well, flexion 100, extension 0 and walking well. He's recommended a hip and knee class starting on 6 March for 4-6 weeks, said to carry on icing and elevating and gave me some hamstring stretches to do, as he said they were very strong.

I missed a dose of painkillers before heading off to my first physio appt.
This is a good thing. You should never take pain meds before taking PT. You need to feel the pain so you'll know when to stop what you're doing. Pain causes swelling and inflammation and sets back your recovery. It sounds like your therapist is a good one. Hang on to him, but remember, no pain.

@sistersinhim Does that mean I should miss a dose then if my physio clashes with the time I would usually take something? My physio was 8 hours after my last painkillers and I would usually take them roughly 6 hours apart.

Does that mean I should miss a dose then if my physio clashes with the time I would usually take something? My physio was 8 hours after my last painkillers and I would usually take them roughly 6 hours apart.
I will ask @Josephine what she suggests you should do. It's a very good question.

Glad to hear you had a great physio. My first appt is tomorrow I hope to get one similar to yours. Sounds like you are moving forward :yes!:i

Good luck with your appointment Smokey. It wasn't such a great night last night, knee was quite uncomfortable, but I did decide to forego my pain meds at bedtime just to see how it would be. There were a couple of things the physio had me do (pushing and pulling against his hand) that didn't hurt at the time, but maybe contributed alongside no pain meds. Today I'll make sure I take them regularly. I think it may be a little early to ditch them at present.

Does that mean I should miss a dose then if my physio clashes with the time I would usually take something? My physio was 8 hours after my last painkillers and I would usually take them roughly 6 hours apart.
No, stay on your painkiller regime. Taking pain relief 2 hours before PT is OK.
If you're due to take a dose shortly before PT, that's OK, as long as you don't intentionally take it so you can do painful exercises.
Taking pain relief so you can get through painful PT is not OK.

This is a good thing. You should never take pain meds before taking PT. You need to feel the pain so you'll know when to stop what you're doing.
Paula and Celle are right but I'll reword it a bit.

Pain serves a purpose which is to warn you when/if the PT is too harsh. If you dull pain with medication then you won't know when your PT has reached that point and could result in swelling and pain later in the day or even the next day. So NEVER take pain meds in order to cope with PT. Big BIG no-no!

Thanks ladies. I am just taking paracetemol to help keep pain at a tolerable level day and night, not just for exercise, but I'll take note of what you say.

I can't believe how tired I got today. I made my porridge, washed up the breakfast things, showered and washed my hair. My brother took me out for lunch and a friend popped round for a couple of hours this afternoon. By the time she left I was too tired to eat, the knee was really uncomfortable and eventually I fell into a deep sleep for a couple of hours. I could have slept longer, felt really groggy when I woke. Just hope I get some sleep tonight.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom