Guest viewing is limited

TKR lindakay’s recovery thread

You're only 11 days out in a year long recovery-your knee is still in the angry-at-being-abused stage. My suggestion is to let up on the PT and spend as much time as you can icing and elevating. It will not only help with the swelling, it will help with the pain. Don't even worry about your ROM at this stage-you won't have any decent measurement anyway until the swelling, both visible outside and invisible inside, go down, and that will be a while.

If you need more pain meds, you need more pain meds. With my TKR I had significant pain for a long time and needed narcotic pain relief for the duration. With my revision, I had an epidural for almost a week, and then a pain ball for about another week. After that I had very little pain and only needed to ice and elevate for swelling and a little pain at times. Every knee is different, and recovers differently, even two knees on the same body. Heck, my knee recovered totally differently after both surgeries, and it was the same knee!
 
At 11 days post op your whole leg is still very upset from the onslaught that is this surgery. You want to keep up with gentle movements for mobility, and short walks, but don’t do anything that causes more pain. Flexion improvements don’t always show themselves this early, especially when you have a lot of pain and swelling. Try to hang in there and don’t worry about your ROM, it’s going to be ok. :console2:
 
Doing too many exercises actually causes less bend because it causes swelling. A swollen knee doesn't bend well. It can't, the fluid is in the way. The way to lower the swelling and increasing your bend is rest, elevation, ice and gentle movements. Your knee is an infant and needs TLC, not aggressive PT.
 
Now if I could remember that!!!
I understand time is my friend but I sure do get cranky. However it's truly a day to say process.
 
I understand time is my friend but I sure do get cranky.
I think we are entitled to get cranky! We don’t have to like that this recovery takes a long time, but we should accept it, and occasionally temper tantrums are par for the course. (at least in my case. :heehee:)
 
I had my share of tantrums and tears for at least a month or more.
 
I’ve absolutely cried at least twice since this second surgery - pain PLUS frustration...
 
I had my tkr on 6/2. That July 4th a girlfriend came over and asked me what we were going to do that day. I just freaked out and started crying like a baby. Didn't she realize I was in pain and could do hardly anything. There's no way I can go biking or hiking or even riding for long in a car! My mind didn't realize she was just kidding me. I took it seriously. She apologized and ended up feeling really bad for something she never intended to do.

I believe the combo of lack of sleep, pain meds, vulnerability, and pain all contribute to our mood swings. Only someone who's been there understands.
 
I believe the combo of lack of sleep, pain meds, vulnerability, and pain all contribute to our mood swings. Only someone who's been there understands.
Exactly. Each one of those factors has affected my mood tremendously and I am a moody person to begin with.

Also, when I could no longer be very independent, or do much on my own initiative, or do much of anything adventuresome, I felt so discouraged. Now I try hard to find joy and a feeling of adventure when I do little things like walk without my walker or climb stairs for the first time since surgery. :heehee: Sounds pretty stupid but it works to help me feel more cheerful.
 
Back
Top Bottom