THR Limping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limping
Always a great milestone to pass. Incision area feels sooooo much better.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Well done on the staples milestone! Onward and upward. Sounds like hubby is doing great!

Hi Girls ya he is doing Brillant :) got in and out if shower himself and Doing more walking :) ya his leg feels a lot better with the staples out it's not itchy anymore :)

Great to hear! Everyday will bring new mobility. Well done you for sticking by hubby through all this!

Hi guys sorry it's been so long been mad busy preparing for christmas .. My husband is nearly 5 weeks after his operation all is going good the only thing he has a stinging numbness pain down the side if his tigh of his operated leg ... Just wondering is it normal or should he go to the docter .. He has no chest pain or pain in calf or anything like that do I don't think it's a clot :) he is on asprin and still wearing the stockings ??:)

Good to hear from you and I am so glad things are going well with your husband's recovery. At only 5 weeks out it's pretty normal to have aches and pains in the operated leg. Nerves are "waking up" after the trauma of surgery. Muscles are complaining as they are now asked to do more work. Is hubby taking anything for the pain? Is he still icing and elevating? Remind him he still needs to stick to the basics at this stage.

Thanks Jaycey. He is only taking solpadine and yes he has gone back to ice again. :)

Just at the side if his thigh below the operation site. It's hard and swollen. Is that normal?

Sorry for all the questions as my husband does not want to go to the doctor as he says he is only starting to sleep a bit now and to go back to hospital he would go mad! :)

Is it red and hot? I'm going to tag Josephine and see what she says.

It feels hot and swollen it's not red at all ... And it has pins and needles in it. And it's below the wound by 8 to 10 inches :) thanks in advance for ur replies :)

To start with, can you tell the the exact location of his pain using this chart?

Each square needs the reference number for the row (horizontal) and the column (vertical) to identify it.
Also say if it's front or back.

Limping

Also some questions:

1. what are his pain levels right now?
(remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget that 'pain' also includes soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness)

2. are he still taking any pain medications, if so, what, how much (in mg please) and how often?

3. is he still icing his hip and if so how often and for how long?

4. is he still elevating his leg and if so how high, how often and for how long?

5. what is the detail of his daily activities? What does he do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises is he doing? How much and how often? Details would are required!

I'll be back shortly! :wink:

Hi Josephine :) his pain is at LB1 H back .. His pain is 7 .... He is taking solpadine just today again .. As he was doing so well ... Iceing started again today as he was doing so well he didn't need it ..) yes he is elevating his leg up above hip level ...he cooks everyday and goes for a walk around the block :) he is doing all the Physio that he was given after leaving the hospital twice a day :) like squats and his leg raises ... Thanks. Iv read just there on the internet that massage is good for it ??? And the pain is not there the whole time he informs me :) thanks :) Josephine

he is doing all the Physio that he was given after leaving the hospital twice a day like squats and his leg raises
Did you miss the last part of that question? "6. what kind of PT/exercises is he doing? How much and how often? Details are required!" But you've given me no details. I can make no suggestions until I have that information.

Oh sorry I must have missed that one :) the excersies are squats leg up in front raising his leg up backwards standing on the good leg and lifting up his operated leg and go out in a semi circle :) and he does 20 of these excersies every time he does it 3 times a day ... He tells me these are the excersies he was given from the PT in the hospital before he was discharged :)

Well my husband had to go to the docter today as the pins and needles and the hot felling was driving him mad. .. The docter said he has a pinched nerve under his incision going down to his knee :) so he gave him anti inflamtries ?? ( spelling) just wondering us this normal and is there anything else he can be doing to help relieve it :) thanks

Hi guys my husband is 5 weeks after his total hip operation all was going good until now he had to go to doc on Tuesday as the pain and pins and needles under the incision was really unbearable :-( so went to doc and he said its a trapped nerve and gave him anti inflammatory meds.

I massaged the area that was hard and sore last nigh it worked for. Awhile :) just wondering is this normal after surgery and I'm hoping it wil go away and so is my husband :)

I wouldn't say it's normal exactly but it does happen. Did he have a front or side incision? If so, it could have been due to the instruments used during the surgery. It should fade in time but that can take anything from two or three weeks to some months. No way to tell which, I'm afraid.

Thanks Josephine :) it's a side incision ... Hope fully it will go :) thanks:)

Nerve issues can take awhile to ease. Does icing help at all? Are the meds helping?

Hi guys merry christmas I haven't been on here for a while mad busy with christmas :) my husband had his total hip operation 7 weeks ago he is doing good he is down to one crutch and walking without it in the house sometimes but when he walks without it he has a limp is this normal ??? He went for his checkup last Friday and everything looks good on X-rays only where the scar is it's very hard I can't remember what the docter called this but he has to go back in 3 months and the docter said it should be gone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom