Guest viewing is limited

THR Limping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Noreen, thanks for keeping us updated. Is your husband taking blood thinning drugs? They made me very lightheaded. So sorry to hear about his experience last night. Unfortunately some elderly patients react badly all the drugs an to finding themselves in a new environment. I am sure staff will watch him carefully knowing his issues.
 
Hi jacey ya he is getting the blood thinning shots. ... As for last night all has gone quiet haven't seen the poor man all day. .my husband is doing good looks a lot better and sounds better after changing to the tablet form of morphine :-).
 
My husband has gone for 4 walks around 2 of them without help :yahoo: I think he is on the mend big time. :-)... He has no pain where the stitches are at all and he leg is getting a bit lighter not as heavy as yesterday :-) so he is going to the gym in Physio tommorrow. :-) The only thing is he has a pain in the right cheek of his bum. :giggle: ... Would any of ye good people here experienced it after the op. :-)
 
All of us experience pain in the bum. Major surgery combined with all the manipulation that is done to get the new implant into place causes all kinds of soft tissue issues. Has he asked for ice yet? They usually don't automatically supply it but do ask. I will ease the inflammation. Sounds like he is doing great!
 
Thanks jacey he is he is doing Brillant the pysio had him doing squats and all earlier a bit painful but has to be done :-) I must ask for ice thanks :-) he just wants to get home to his own bed. .. :sleep: he can't sleep in the hospital since they eased off the meds to tablet form he is not as dozey
 
Quite a few of us experience pain in the bottom, members often describe it as sitting on a tennis ball... I know that is what it felt like to me :)

Here are some articles you might be interested in..

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
Make sure your husband knows that physio should never hurt. If they are pushing him, tell him to call a halt. Hips have a way of sorting themselves out (as Jo always says). Walking is actually the best exercise. When is he getting discharged - do you know yet?
 
Thanks poppet :-) very intresting reading .. Hi jacey .. Ya he has told the Physio that he doesn't want to do them squats they really hurt. And he is coming home on Monday. :dancy: ... Can't wait to get him home and he can't wait to get home .. I taught that as well that the walking is good enough but the pysio has him doing all sorts :-(. ... He got no sleep at all last night just couldn't sleep ... So he is getting a sleeping tablet tonight .. Can u tell me jacey .. One if the nurses today said to him that she wants him to go for a shower tomorrow ... He doesn't want to but she said he has to ??? I don't know myself I know one of the other nurses that had more experience said last week when he went to be assessed for the operation .. She told him no not to go for a shower for at least 7 to 10 days after it... What would u recommended ??? Thanks in advance :-)
 
Hi Noreen, I had a shower 1 day after the procedure. Does your husband have a waterproof dressing on his incision? If he does, it's fine if he showers. 7-10 days is a bit excessive. Lots of hippies shower within days of the op.
 
Oh ok thanks for letting me know I don't know about the dressing he must do I'd say ... I will find out before he goes. :-) thanks again ur like my husbands and I savours ... I'd be saying to him but jacey on bonesmart says. :-) thank you very much. :-)
 
I'm certainly not the expert here - just been there, done that and got the T-shirt! Sometimes staff like to see that a patient is totally mobile - including bathing, etc. Just be sure he asks about the dressing. If he has any light headed issues be sure he asks for help. This is all a part of getting back to real living after THR.
 
Will do .... I see from him this evening he seems to be going quite on me like it wanted to talk ???like there is a bit of depression settin in ... I have asked him is he ok and he has said he is :-) ... I know he probably feels helpless as my husband is or was always on the go .... I understand ya has pain As well ... But what should I do ???
 
Noreen, it would be very normal if he was feeling a bit depressed. There's been a lot of chemicals put into his body during surgery and with medicating after surgery, plus he's busy dealing with pain and not getting enough sleep and trying to figure out what he can and can't do....which changes every day. Mood swings are common...this one will pass, and it may or may not come back to visit a couple more times. So all you do is listen, and sympathize, and assure him what he feels is all part of the normal healing process.

Squats!!!! Just thinking about them makes my bum hurt!

Sharon
 
Noreen, what happened about the showering?
 
Hi ya poppet ... When my husband went for his assessment there was a nurse there with a lot of experience and told him that he Would not be having a shower at all in the hospital after his operation ... So yesterday one of the younger nurses had said now tomorrow ur going for a shower and we said but in the assessment we were told not to .. She said oh
No u have to shower ... We were confused so logged into bonesmart and jacey reassured me that it's ok to do it :-) ..u see we were taking the experienced nurses word ... I guess experience and more years under your belt don't mean your Better at your job :-). ... So he is going for a shower today as he is coming home tommorrow And we only have a bath in ur house .. So I think I'll be sponge washing him for a while :giggle:
 
Hi guys it's day it's day 4 after my husbands THR and he is doing well no pain just stiff .. He is able to get out of bed and get into bed .. I was amazed watching him getting into bed the way he used his right leg to left his operated leg to get into bed I was well impressed he is a very fast learner :-) ... He is walking around still have nt done steps though ..? Hopefully today cause if he is coming home tomorow there is a few steps down only 2 to our kitchen ... I must say he is doing Brillant .. As all had told me here on bonesmart every thing will be fine and it has .... He is going for a shower now and then they are going to bring him down to the pysio gym .. If he keeps going the way he is it won't be long and he will be back on his :bicycle1: :heehee: I know that's on the for a while yet ;-) :wink:
 
Your husband is doing really good - fantastic :)

But remember 'slow and steady wins the race' following a hip replacement.. :)
 
Morning Noreen! Here's an article that might help you and your husband at this point: Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

There is a huge "high" just after surgery. It's finally done and there is no more pre-op worry. Then reality hits! At first everything seems difficult! It's hard to move around and doing something as simple as showering or going up and down stairs seems impossible. I cried buckets in the hospital. Luckily I had an angel of a nurse who helped me get back on track and focus on moving forward. All I can suggest is be there and support your husband. Help when it is needed and remind him this is all very temporary. In a few weeks what seems impossible will be very easy.
 
Thanks ... His tigh is really swollen this morning .. I suppose that's normal and plenty of ice packs. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom