THR Limping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys here we are on day 5 after my husbands op and he is coming home :dancy: ... His pain is ok and doing a bit of walking. His leg is swollen a bit but nothing major :) .... Do happy to have home coming home ... And thanks to @ Jacey for all ur help

My pleasure Noreen. We'll all be here for you and hubby when he is home! Please update when you can.

Hi guys my husband is doing ok plenty if ice packs just the job ... I have a question how long does he have to leave the support stockings in for ??? And he also wants to know how long will he be on the Aisprin for ...?? His back is sore aswell from lying on it but he is doing a lot better today .. Everyday is getting better :)

Glad you are seeing results from icing. Support socks, they drove me mad! My OS said wear them for 6 weeks but when I went to get my staples out at my GP the nurse said ditch them after 3 weeks. They are SO hard to get on and off.

I took blood thinners for 5 weeks.

To combat the back issues put a pillow under his knees. It takes a bit of the pressure off his lower back.

Not sure about guardian angel - but having been through this (sometimes) scary journey I am happy to help!

My husbands leg that he got his new hip in is very swollen I'm hoping that's normal ..) I'm
Putting two pillows under his leg when he lies down but his foot feels like it is going to explode at times I'm putting the ice pack on it at times... The stocking even feel tight on his leg and foot ... Is it normal ??? Should I be worried? And is there any thing else I can do to hep him:) thanks in advance :)

Are the compression socks too tight? Swelling is normal but if the socks are cutting off the blood supply that's not good. I would call your GPs office and talk to the nurse practitioner.

Hi guys here we are 1 week after surgery .and my husbands doing ok :) . His leg is swollen a bit so rang the docter and he asked me to do a few tests on my husband like push on the back of his calf of his leg a good few times and he asked him a good few questions ... But all was well he wasn't worried he said he had to elivate his leg as much as he can but yet he wants to move around during the day .. So it's a catch 22 situation ... He also is getting shocks down his leg that was operated on .... I know he has a lot of pain and discomfort now but here's hoping in a another week or 2 that the swelling goes down and the staples will be out and it might be a little bit easier ... He just feels so useless :)

Noreen, check with your doctor about how long your hubby has to use the compression socks and take aspirin. This is one of those areas that doctors don't seem to be in agreement about. I used the socks for two weeks and the blood thinners for 10 days. But there may be health reasons why your husband needs to go longer....or it may just be his surgeon's preferences. When in doubt, the surgeon rules!!

Those shocks on the operated leg....lots of us had them. Generally came in the first month or two....gone by the third month. I found magnesium supplements very useful to help control them.

Usually there's noticeable improvement in pain and mobility after three weeks. And then another surge by the six week mark. So truly, this all will get better.

Sharon

Hi Noreen, you might want to also check these articles out... There is also an article on Magnesium in the Nutritional Library..

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

With hip one I had "the shocks" actually mine were more like electrocutions...I would wake up from a sound sleep and find by body trying to curl into a fetal position. One day they went away...This time I had a few mild jolts while still in the hospital, asked the OS about it and he said put ice one the area of the jolt, seemed to work. I haven't had a shock since I have been home with this hip.

Sleeping in your own bed is a healing step in itself! Hope hubby is feeling better every day!

Thanks ... I was speaking to the docter yesterday about the stockings .. We felt they were causing the swelling in my husbands operated leg .. So my docter said to take them off if he wanted to ??? I took them off last night when he went to bed and elivated his leg and when he woke up today the swelling was only a little bit ... So we put them back and now he feels the swelling is happening again ... The docter said he should belie ok as he is taken aspirin to leave them Off. ... I m just wondering did this happen to anyone here on bonesmart and is it ok to leave the stockings off. :) thanks in advance :)

Hello Noreen :)

I've had two hips replaced. First one I tried really hard to keep the stockings on but after a week I just felt they were cutting off the circulation. So left them off.

2nd hip, as soon as I got home from the hospital, off they came and stayed off!!

Aileen

Thanks Aileen ... I think my Husband will be throwing his ones away too ..) there driving him mad :gaah: :hissy: :gaah: ... Thanks or letting me know

I had trouble with the socks feeling like they were cutting off circulation below my knee with the first hip replacement, so I took them off. I didn't have any problem. With the second hip, they didn't bother me, so I left 'em on. If the doc says OK to leave them off, I'd leave them off, for sure.

Well it's been 11 days since the operation and all is good. The swelling is going down my husband is moving like walking slit more around the house and the staples come out tomorow so happy days ahead ... My husband is not taking any hard medicine he is just taking the asprin and sickness tablets and some solpadine when he needs it which is really rare. :) so yes all is good. The only thing when he is walking around with his crutches he feels his operated leg is longer. ? Is this a normal feeling after the op. ? :)

Hi Noreen, that leg length difference feeling is totally normal. The good news is this usually disappears within 3-4 months after surgery. His pelvis is tilted slightly from trying to stay off that sore hip pre-op. Things will balance out soon. Please don't worry at all!

Hi guys it's been 16 days since my husbands operation and all is good he is able to move more freely and lift his own leg up on the bed. :) he got the staples out on Monday all 24 of them :scare: ah he was grand with it. There is still a small bit of puss coming from the wound nothing major :) so happy days ahead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member