Revision TKR Limited ROM left knee and journey of the right knee

Please please fire away with any questions you’d want to ask. So long as I have the answers, they’re yours. Many thanks!

SusieShoes, thank you so much for your encouragement- I’ll hang in there ....

This is exactly what I’ve been doing; typing in the box. I realize that using the laptop is different from using the App - I can’t find a “reply” button on the laptop to reply to a particular response - only the icons for like, agree, etc.

Please don’t even entertain negative thoughts! Your knee will do just fine.

Using the app now; realizing that there is a difference in the two - can’t reply individually on the laptop.

Thanks for the response. It’s the right knee that initially had a partial; I am healing well from the revision on this so far. It’s the left knee which I had done some years back that is giving me all the problems. I really hope I do get this sorted out soon. How are you doing with your knee?

Please please fire away with any questions you’d want to ask.
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

@jandoh I feel like I’ve read my own thread! Your story is very similar to mine! I have even less ROM than you. I have about 75. It’s really difficult doing very routine things like walking, getting in and out of a car, sitting in a movie theater, etc. . After 8 months, I decided to go back into therapy at a chiropractic clinic. There I get therapy, cupping, and dry needling. Like you, im desperate! The therapists all Shane their heads confused and defeated!

My knee feels stiff as a brick wall! I’m thinking of asking my OS about surgically removing scar tissue ( I’ve done it once but my knee was loose then) at my appt later this month!Hopefully this time will work!

Nice hearing from from you! I’m praying you find answers! Please keep us updated! I’ve learned so much here!

@Josephine - this is just a tester to see if I got it right - tagging. Please let me know if you get the alert - no longer my replies are 'flying' all over the place! Lol

answer each one individually -

Another tester to see if I got the quote thing right! Are the questions you are asking pertaining to my right knee (most recent surgery), left knee (the frozen knee) or both? thanks

Your posts are looking good, I think you mastered it!

Josephine is probably away right now, but @jandoh, you are doing it just right! Good job!

Both, sweet lady! And you're a quick study - well done!

1. No pain in the left knee until it is subjected to therapy; then I have pain (6); for the right knee I'd say about a 1, again increasing in pain after physical therapy to around a 3.

2. I was prescribed Oxycodone which I stopped taking after 6 weeks. I now only take Tyenol when needed - definitely before each therapy.

3. No swelling in the left knee. About a moderate in the right knee.

4. Flexion is 85 in the left knee, 117 in the right. Extension is 0 is both knees.

5. Yes, I try to ice my knee at least twice a day, for 20 mins on each knee.

6. Hmmm! Honestly I wasn't elevated the right way until I started reading this forum. So yesterday, I elevated it the right way for about 30 minutes.

7. I am very active in the way of housework - cook and clean. I have tried shopping but went with my daughter as I didn't want to do all the lifting with my right knee still considerably being sore.

8. Yes, I am exercising at home.
At least once a day:
Squatt
Leg raises
Heel slides
Ball rocking
Trying to bend on the staircase
Lying on the edge of the bed and letting my left leg hang, thus stretching the muscle
Biking (though I am unable to do the full turn due to stiffness in my left leg)
Walking around the house

At least one session each day; two at the most
Squats x15 x3
Leg raises x15 times x2
Heel slides x10 times x2
Ball rocking - for five minutes
Trying to bend on the staircase - three or four times
Lying on the edge of the bed and letting my left leg hang, thus stretching the muscle - x3 for one minute
Biking (though I am unable to do the full turn due to stiffness in my left leg) - five minutes each session
Walking around the house - numerous times

Yes, I do get massaging and bending at PT together with some of the above mentioned exercises. PT is three times a week.

Thanks jandoh. But there are some things I need to clarify before I get to work!

I was prescribed Oxycodone which I stopped taking after 6 weeks. I now only take Tyenol when needed
I did ask for dosages, please! Also when you take them, what times

Yes, I am exercising at home.
At least once a day:
Squats
Leg raises
Heel slides
Ball rocking
Trying to bend on the staircase
Lying on the edge of the bed and letting my left leg hang, thus stretching the muscle
Biking (though I am unable to do the full turn due to stiffness in my left leg)
Walking around the house

At least one session each day; two at the most
Squats x15 x3
Leg raises x15 times x2
Heel slides x10 times x2
Ball rocking - for five minutes
Trying to bend on the staircase - three or four times
Lying on the edge of the bed and letting my left leg hang, thus stretching the muscle - x3 for one minute
Biking (though I am unable to do the full turn due to stiffness in my left leg) - five minutes each session
Walking around the house - numerous times
Here you seem to have just repeated your exercises. Are you doing the second lot at PT or is it really just a repeat of what you do at home?

I did ask for dosages, please! Also when you take them, what times

So sorry to have missed the dosages. I was prescribed Oxycodone 5 mg tablets which I took two tablets off every four to six hours. This was gradually weaned off until I completely stopped six weeks after surgery. Typically, I would take these at 8 am, 12 pm, 4 pm, 8 pm 12 am, 4 am ....

Once I stopped the Oxycodone, I started taking Aleve (two tablets every six hours) along side with Tylenol (two tablets) when needed, but stopped the Aleve as it was giving me stomach discomfort. Thanks once again.

Here you seem to have just repeated your exercises. Are you doing the second lot at PT or is it really just a repeat of what you do at home?

I do repeat the exercises that I go through at PT, but add on other exercises that I have done from past surgeries.

So the PT exercises are as follows:

Bike for five minutes
Sitting on the exercise ball and rocking for five minutes
Step up (on a raised board) and then side by side 20 times
Laying on a bench and letting my left leg hang - for one minute each time, three times
Deep massage and bending by Therapist.

@jordan6

After 8 months, I decided to go back into therapy at a chiropractic clinic. There I get therapy, cupping, and dry needling. Like you, im desperate! The therapists all Shane their heads confused and defeated!

Are you getting any relief from the dry needling? This has been suggested but I am not sure if I wan to go ahead with it. Unless of course, I hear some positive results on this - my knee has just gone through so much. Thanks so much for reaching out to me; it helps a great deal. Let's keep each other in prayers.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member