THR Let's make it a matched set!

@gertie Contending with that myself. Closing outdoor water spigots in the basement. Putting away anything harmed by a deep freeze tonight.
I use thin glove warmers, inside garden gloves, and a Smartwool Balaclava for my head and face, with a hood. It’s good to get warmed up after such weather, with tea. Stay warm.
 
@gertie aww. That stinks that it set you back so. I hope you are up and at ‘em soon!
I’m planning to mall walk this winter.
My aunt did this for years and she was in great shape.
I’d like to swim laps but Im not sure about the hair issue. I have a swim cap but my hair is so thick snd I don’t seem to get a good seal.
But if I can get there every weekend, and walk and use my recumbent bike, I should be able to manage!
We can do this!
 
@CricketHip Swimming has been a good exercise for me in the past but with the replacements, my favorite stroke, the breast stroke, is tricky. Plus the nearby gym that has a pool just had a fire and is closed for the foreseeable future. I've used low impact aerobic videos I get on YouTube with some success. And mall walking--JC Penney to Target (trying not to buy anything) and back. Do you find the hard, shiny floor hard on your knees/hips though?
 
I’m planning to mall walk this winter.
I did mall walking over the summer when it was too hot to be outside. I was keeping in shape for my second hip replacement in less than 3 months and it worked like a dream. I only window shopped and avoided buying anything! I’d call that a success.
@gertie
 
I’ve only walked twice so far and once it was while carrying a package and yes, it bothered me a bit.
I’m hoping to attempt it again with nothing in my arms and my better shoes, but you bring up a good point.
I’ll hopefully try it again soon, thanks to the cold weather approaching and report back. :chuckmarch:
 
Last edited:
@CricketHip At our local mall the floors are highly polished and walking in a way that I won't slip of course alters my gait. I think that's more of an issue than hardness. But on really frigid days, I give it a try! Sunny here today and no wind so an outdoor walk is beckoning.
 
Good morning, @gertie. Have you tried walking on those slippery floors with shoes with more "gripping" soles, maybe rubber or something? I know sometimes those highly polished floors can be tricky so do be careful. Glad to read it's sunny in your neck of the woods and that a nice walk is in your immediate future--enjoy!
 
Have you tried walking on those slippery floors with shoes with more "gripping" soles,
The shoes I'm currently trying on at home do have a "grippy" sole but I'm still trying to assess comfort level. It's not so much I'm afraid of falling as it's hard to do a heel to toe roll and push off on those floors.

Basically I'm being a grump about the sudden turn toward winter. You would think that having lived my whole life in the northern half of the country I'd be used to this but...I do not embrace the cold (and ice and snow)!
 
Basically I'm being a grump about the sudden turn toward winter. You would think that having lived my whole life in the northern half of the country I'd be used to this but...I do not embrace the cold (and ice and snow)!

Ha! I feel the same exactly. I've lived my entire life in the northern half also. Can't stand it either. WHY do hubs and I stay?!! Oh yeah, for the kids and grandkids who couldn't live without us, hahaha! Actually it's visa versa.
Stay warm and have a nice weekend, gertie!
 
Well, you folks that live in the northern coast of the US do have pretty awful sounding winters. I live in the northern part of the west coast but our winters are NEVER as brutal as yours or the ones--shudder--in the Midwest. But you do have the loveliest falls and spring, and I hope the promise of those beautiful seasons is what keeps you going as you head into the less desirable winter months. And think of all the lovely warm sweaters you probably own and can drag out as the temperature drop! Happy Sunday!
 
@Barbaraj You put such a nice spin on winter! I can understand feeling grumpy @gertie because with older joints in general, it is not as easy to put away summer and bring out the winter things as it once was. As much as I love winter sweaters, I have grown less fond of fuzz busting them, and winter socks, no matter how useful they are.
 
Something I found that might be worth taking into consideration when mall walking or wherever with that type of floor. Prior to my surgery when we we were flying, I found I had to be very careful with what shoes, especially Skechers, that I wore. I'm a klutz to begin with but was walking through the airport and my shoe kept grabbing the floor and causing me to trip, thankfully didn't fall. We started noticing this happen multiple times when travelling. So not I have to be very careful with what shoes I wear, too much traction, I guess, causes me problems :walking:
 
@Elf1 I have that issue, too! I've had it long before the hip issues. I always figured it was my back issues causing my right foot to drag a bit. Or that I, too, am a klutz! :heehee:
I know I am and I accept it. :dubious:

That is a very good point.. I've never thought about wearing a different type of show with less traction.
@gertie I hope Sunday has you feeling a bit better?
I am out of sorts today and my body is aching in various places. It's this house we live in,, I climb way too many stairs in a days time.
We will go see a movie later and I am positive that popcorn will help!
 
@CricketHip Housework today. Closet cleaning. Piles to take to Goodwill. Multiple loads of laundry. All is well. I hope you enjoy your movie.
 
I’m planning to mall walk this winter.
I did mall walking over the summer when it was too hot to be outside. I was keeping in shape for my second hip replacement in less than 3 months and it worked like a dream. I only window shopped and avoided buying anything! I’d call that a success.
@gertie
Oh yes I found that I don’t have a very strong “off” button for shopping with a morphine pain killer. I can’t look online anymore. So very good for you for staying with mall walking and not buying!
 
too much traction, I guess, causes me problems
Oh, yes--I've had that problem in my kitchen! I've learned to pick up my feet rather than sliding them when I step backwards or sidewards.
Hey I think hipsters like us maybe have a learned habit of not picking up our feet. I have called myself a klutz too but it got so much worse lately or before surgery. Mindful stepping will be a goal and maybe that can help us all get out of the habit of “drop foot”. Wishing you all the best.
 
I so agree with these comments about lifting up your feet; it's hard to remember sometimes. The "shuffle and glide" is not an effective method of walking, and just as important as the "heel/toe" gait is lifting up your darn feet as you walk. I know it's important but I get grumpy sometimes thinking about all the instructions I'm supposed to carry around in my head. Walking used to just be going from point A to point B, now I have all this stuff I'm supposed to remember about HOW to walk--argh!
 
@Barbaraj, @gertie Does the walking get better over time, in respect to not having to think about it? I do pick up my feet now, probably because I rest frequently to try to avoid the pain of limping, and use a cane when I start feeling the fatigue In my leg/hip.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom