Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear your sleeping well. I was lucky to stay ahead of the pain and tylenol with some Tramadol and/or Celebrex did the trick. I iced and elevated most of my day and night in the first few weeks and still do most hours during the day at 4 weeks out. The icing is just good for the swelling. Your knee is likely to be stiff either way. My first knee had hardly any bending in the first few months and had me worried. I eventually got more than 90 back once physical therapy was over and I continued to use my leg in normal life without paying attention to the flex.

This knee has bent better and easier much sooner. The first few weeks were between 50 and 65. More recently around 90. Everyone is different. I think they worry a bit to much about this, although I understand that scar tissue can mess with bending in some more rare cases and require surgical intervention. But not often.

Try to enjoy your down time. I am trying to get my personal "projects " done (paperwork mostly ... ugh) before the nicer spring weather rolls in here in northern NJ. Look forward to some gentle putting around in my garden before I get back to work. Gentle successful healing thoughts coming your way!!
 
Maybe try cool packs instead of frozen ones, and see if that helps.

And I agree, you’re going to be stiff and painful to some extent for a while. All temporary, though!
 
For me, the icing was a Godsend. I iced the whole time I was sitting for lying down for the first couple of months. When you ice, make sure you have a thin cloth between your knee and the ice pack. That will help to prevent your knee from getting freeze burned.

Ice and elevation are great swelling reducers and pain relievers. Your knee will be stiff for a few months whether you ice or not. Actually, icing should help to reduce some of that stiffness by reducing swelling.
 
Hi DogMama, I'm going to follow your posts as you go boldly ahead of me in your recovery. I'll be standing behind you, cheering you on and wishing you the best in your recovery. I, too, am a dog person. I hope you are able to connect with your pup, Angus, in all the best ways, whether it be to shed tears in his fur or to give hugs, share treats, share your concerns and victories and find some peace just being in his company.
I'm looking forward to be joining you on this side of the forum soon. Let us both be strong, stay tough and go forward with conviction! :friends:
 
Thank you all very much for your kind, encouraging thoughts and words.
@Norsk the baby in the pic has been chomping at the bit to get in my lap. Today we tried it for a few minutes but he wanted to lay on that leg so I got him up. I’ve been giving all three extra snuggles.
Yes, @sistersinhim, I’m always sure to have a cloth between the ice and my skin. I have discovered that I want ice allllll the time!!
I had my initial PT visit today. She was going to check my flexion and in my mind, I could see her getting ready to shove my leg into a 90 degree angle. I told her I was not going to be doing that and she was cool with it. So, she asked me to flex it as much as I could and I did but I pushed it past discomfort into pain and am now paying the price - my leg hurts so bad in places it had not been before. I messed my own self up on that one:hairpulling:. My flexion was 55, extension wasn’t measured.
 
Last edited:
DogMama, you might want to ask the moderators to fix your signature date. You did have your replacement this March, not last March, no?
 
DogMama, you might want to ask the moderators to fix your signature date. You did have your replacement this March, not last March, no?
Thank you for telling us, it slipped by all of us! I have corrected it.
 
Hi @DogMama how are you getting on and how’s that gorgeous puppy!!!!

I hope the PT isn’t pushing you too much and the icing is helping the swelling. For me the swelling has been the most troublesome thing, I can’t wait for it to go!

Keep checking in!
 
Hi @mature mama & @Carmencita!! I think I’m doing very well for just under 2 weeks postop. I’m able to get up and down as I need/want to do. I notice I tend to have more swelling the less I walk so I’m working on walking more frequently than farther and so far that’s working for me. I do gentle exercises and if there’s one I don’t feel my knee is ready for yet, I don’t do it. The therapist I was blessed to get has a very BoneSmart way of doing things. She was here Monday and said she wasn’t interested in measuring ROM until Friday and only then because I see the OS Monday. Today (Wednesday) the PT assistant is coming out so we will see how she does things. I will not allow her to push on me or make me do things that cause pain. My knee does a very good job of letting me know the difference between uncomfortable and pain. Thank you ladies for checking on me, it means a lot!!

@Carmencita my pup is doing very well but doesn’t understand why he can’t get in mama’s lap, poor baby lol. I’m hoping I can let him up before my right knee is done but we shall see.
 
Last edited:
DogMama, my 2 Westies were also confused as to why they couldn’t get up on my lap for a long while! They finally are allowed up but 2 weeks from today we start all over! How to explain that to them!!!
 
I had my TKR on 1/8/2021 and also had to have my ligaments "tightened" along with the removal of a grape sized bone chip. First week was tough, by the end of the second week I was walking without a crutch and progress came quickly. By the end of week 6 my ROM was 130 and stretch was 1 and was told here was no need for further PT. I'm now 11 weeks out and life is completely normal other than week nine when I had a new pain that has since resolved. Actually cut the lawn this weekend without difficulty.

Hang in there, it does get better. Me: 63 year old male.
 
Great to here you are on the mend Had my TKR beginning of feb and my recovery is going well .regards Steve
 
I had my TKR on 1/8/2021 and also had to have my ligaments "tightened" along with the removal of a grape sized bone chip. First week was tough, by the end of the second week I was walking without a crutch and progress came quickly. By the end of week 6 my ROM was 130 and stretch was 1 and was told here was no need for further PT. I'm now 11 weeks out and life is completely normal other than week nine when I had a new pain that has since resolved. Actually cut the lawn this weekend without difficulty.

Hang in there, it does get better. Me: 63 year old male.
@Im2fast4u how did they tighten your ligaments?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom