TKR Left TKR 9/23/19 My Journey

Call your surgeon and tell him the current medication is not working. Your pain should be managed better than this.

I’m sorry your wife is not more understanding, you don’t push through pain in this recovery, and especially not the level of pain you have.

If you are doing home exercises, stop doing them until you get your pain under better control. You don’t need a lot of exercises right now anyway, you need rest and only very gentle mobility movements so your poor surgically traumatized knee can heal.

I would cancel PT until you heal more. PT will only stress the body, unless you have a gentle PT who can massage to help direct the swelling.

When you’re resting make sure you elevate your leg and keep icing. Ice is a good pain reliever. Always keep a cloth between you and the ice medium.

I hope things begin to settle down for you today.
 
So here's a question...

My pain level is top shelf. I was supposed to receive 112 oxycodone (1 or 2 every 3 hours for 7 days- 56 total if I only take 1 and 112 if I need 2 to manage the pain). I got 50. By skipping a few (and I paid for it in pain) I banked enough to have 2 for today's first pt visit. I will still run out but a friend who is coming off shoulder surgery is lending me 3. My new ex if 50 tabs starts tomorrow. My wife thinks that I just need to get my fanny out if bed and get moving, regardless of pain. She feels I will adapt and just go. I'm not doing so due not only immense, intense pain leaving me in a pool of convulsive tears nightly, but because I can't take that second pill to help fight the pain.

Anyone care to help me with their opinion. For example, did you find that once you started moving, that was the key, regardless of pain or ability to manage pain...

Thanks and I apologize for my dark post during the night. This pain has taken me places I have never been to.
I am so sorry to read about your pain management problems. You responded to others who asked about icing, that you are "icing well". Do you have an icing machine? It makes a huge difference in pain management. I purchased the Ossur Cold Rush ice machine off of Amazon and have been hooked up to it for several 2-3 hour sessions every day, as much as I can tolerate, and for me this has been extremely helpful in pain management. Yes it cost a couple of hundred dollars but I think I got my money's worth out of it personally. I have gel ice packs and packages of frozen vegetables like everyone else, but they just don't do it for me.

Moving more didn't really help in my case, but icing made it possible to move more (and then icing after moving helps too). Moving does seem to help slightly with swelling if one doesn't overdo, and swelling can make the pain worse I think.

Bear in mind that we each travel our own individual "recovery journey", so to speak, and mine has involved less pain than most people endure. We are at the opposite ends of the pain spectrum, so to speak. I have hydrocodone left over. So maybe others will chime in with better information. (EDITED to add: Jockette's information and suggestions are terrific. I hadn't seen her post yet when I wrote this one.)

You can, and should, contact your orthopedic surgeon since he should be reviewing and adjusting your pain medications given the fact that oxycodone is not reducing your pain sufficiently. This is his JOB; make him do it.
 
Ok, went to first pt. It started disastrously. From where wife dropped me off, I had 1 full city block to weave the ramps. I got about 50 feet, collapsed in pain and was defeated. However, wife went ahead and asked if they provided wheelchair rides, and an angel of their office showed up with one and just made my day. My pt person is Tom. He was direct, tough, but also understanding. Went thru my session as best as I could tolerate and really felt positive when I was done. I'm set up for my excercises and will go from there. On my way for a calf scan checking for blood clots.
 
I'll second that you should really contact your surgeon's office and let them know your pain is not being well managed. Especially of the count you received doesn't match the dose on the bottle. Did you get a partial fill? Sometimes pharmacies will be ridiculous about the number they will give you in a certain number of days. You might just need to contact them and get the rest?

I'm sorry your wife isn't being more supportive. She's absolutely wrong. This isn't the kind of pain you can just work through. It needs a lot of rest, and in the earliest days I pretty much stayed in bed with ice packs 24/7.
 
I'll second that you should really contact your surgeon's office and let them know your pain is not being well managed. Especially of the count you received doesn't match the dose on the bottle. Did you get a partial fill? Sometimes pharmacies will be ridiculous about the number they will give you in a certain number of days. You might just need to contact them and get the rest?

I'm sorry your wife isn't being more supportive. She's absolutely wrong. This isn't the kind of pain you can just work through. It needs a lot of rest, and in the earliest days I pretty much stayed in bed with ice packs 24/7.
She has a good heart, but raising 2 sons and an ex who abused her terribly has made her flinty at times.

The dr office explained the meds thusly: they never prescribe more than 50 at a time and 40 on refill as they want to keep opioid RX to a bare minimum. And if I need more, they will refill.
 
I’m sorry your wife has been through so much. Abuse is just so awful.

Many people not going through knee replacement don’t realize what a big deal it is. Other knee surgeries have shorter recovery times and it seems as though a knee replacement wouldn’t be that much more, but it is. We’ve had members who said they’ve had many knee surgeries and were shocked at the replacement recovery!

I’m glad you’ll get more pain medication when you need it.
 
It's good that you got a proper explanation from the doctor's office. Now you can take what you need.

I did not mean to criticize your Beloved. Only to suggest that she is under informed on this topic. There are many times when 'get up and move through it' is the correct process. This just isn't one.
 
I’m sorry your wife has been through so much. Abuse is just so awful.

Many people not going through knee replacement don’t realize what a big deal it is. Other knee surgeries have shorter recovery times and it seems as though a knee replacement wouldn’t be that much more, but it is. We’ve had members who said they’ve had many knee surgeries and were shocked at the replacement recovery!

I’m glad you’ll get more pain medication when you need it.
True. I have been thru meniscus repair and it was a snap. I had micro fracture surgery on this left knee about 2 years ago that failed. Still, recovery from the initial surgery went well. But this, this is so different. We changed the dressing today and it looked really clean. Swelling of about 2". No redness at all on the zip line. Just unfathomable pain.
 
Ok, to update... At pt and dr recommendation I went to the ER for bloodwork and an ultrasound for blood clots due to calf pain. Was there for 5 hours, went into diabetic shock along the wait. Fortunately, all came back normal. I have had sporadic left calf pain for about 5 years (or, as long as knee pain making me limp) and now it returns at a bad time. Good night, and I really appreciate the encouragement.
 
Ok, up at 3AM to start day 9. No pain breakthrough overnight and continue to be bedridden. My dr does not want to see me before our apt late next week. He has a great reputation and I do like him so I will trust his thinking. I also now have pt exercises to do and in as much as I can, I will focus on those. I borrowed some pain meds to see me thru until I get refill at noon today. The refill will be a 3 or 4 day supply so I will start working immediately on a new refill. With the new laws/rules governing opioid refills I may already be too late. Maybe I can talk to my pcp.
 
No pain breakthrough overnight and continue to be bedridden. My dr does not want to see me before our apt late next week. He has a great reputation and I do like him so I will trust his thinking. I also now have pt exercises to do and in as much as I can, I will focus on those.
You shouldn't be bedridden.
Nor should you be working hard at PT exercises.
Instead, concentrate on getting mobility around your home. Walking around the house is all the exercise your knee needs right now and walking is the best exercise of all for recovering knees. Make sure you use the walker or crutches to help with walking.
 
You shouldn't be bedridden.
Nor should you be working hard at PT exercises.
Instead, concentrate on getting mobility around your home. Walking around the house is all the exercise your knee needs right now and walking is the best exercise of all for recovering knees. Make sure you use the walker or crutches to help with walking.
Thank you.

The stiffness is so great, when toe touches floor, the pain is excruciating. I do make an effort, but it generally ends up with me one legging it. All I need, ALL I need is just a small pain breakthrough. Also, due to the policies at my dr office and pharmacies, I run out of pain meds in 2 hours. I hope to have meds again 8 hours after that. So during time without pain meds, I will be as calm as possible. I am going to make strong appeals to my pcp and ortho dr for an semi adequate supply of pain meds.
 
And I have had 5 other surgeries that had painful recoveries I weathered well. But this is unlike anything else.
I've had over 15 surgeries and this one is by far the worst pain ever. It is even worse that having a baby. To help with my pain. I iced all the time I was sitting or laying down. This was hours at a time. I had a cold water/ice machine that I froze bottles of water and put into the cooler part. I suggest you get one of these. They help lower the pain tremendously. Also, you shouldn't be going to PT until your pain is under control. Your knee is extremely angry and needs to settle down. Just let your walking around the house is plenty for your knee right now.

I pooped a little today!!!
:yahoo::yay:
 
I've had over 15 surgeries and this one is by far the worst pain ever. It is even worse that having a baby. To help with my pain. I iced all the time I was sitting or laying down. This was hours at a time. I had a cold water/ice machine that I froze bottles of water and put into the cooler part. I suggest you get one of these. They help lower the pain tremendously. Also, you shouldn't be going to PT until your pain is under control. Your knee is extremely angry and needs to settle down. Just let your walking around the house is plenty for your knee right now.

:yahoo::yay:
You have had a LOT of surgeries! This is only my 6th. Like you, this pain is unlike anything I have experienced before. I will continue to ice more and work hard on moving around the house. Thank you.
 
I am right in between both of you two and have had 12 total surgeries with 8 being in the last 5 years.... not fun! However, I agree this TKR pain and recovery is horrendous (oh and 6 babies, no drugs). This pain doesn't come close to any of my other experiences...Today I am exactly at 4 weeks and I must have overdone it yesterday, walked a little too far and had PT, it isn't only my knee (which had a valgus deformity corrected!) My hips and back (where I had surgery in July) are really cramping and causing all sorts of issues. I definitely understand the ODIC acronym now! :bawl:
 
I am right in between both of you two and have had 12 total surgeries with 8 being in the last 5 years.... not fun! However, I agree this TKR pain and recovery is horrendous (oh and 6 babies, no drugs). This pain doesn't come close to any of my other experiences...Today I am exactly at 4 weeks and I must have overdone it yesterday, walked a little too far and had PT, it isn't only my knee (which had a valgus deformity corrected!) My hips and back (where I had surgery in July) are really cramping and causing all sorts of issues. I definitely understand the ODIC acronym now! :bawl:
Oh, Macknit, my heart goes out to you. Those additional surgeries must make the knee one more complicated to recover from. When in pain, like now, I try and be as still as possible and let meds do their job. Hang in there!!
 
Constipation is a problem from the opioids. I bought a big bag of prunes from Costco and had 2 to 3 with every meal. They helped.


RTKR July 15, 2019
 
Constipation is a problem from the opioids. I bought a big bag of prunes from Costco and had 2 to 3 with every meal. They helped.


RTKR July 15, 2019
Oddly enough, constipation was the one thing I did not anticipate. It was never an issue before. I wish I had prepared for it pre surgery and post surgery like you did.
 
Day 10. Went to physical torture. As I have been limping for 3 years I have zero quad muscle left. Two of the things hurt so bad that tears were coming out. My God, been home 15 minutes and I'm still convulsing. I'll be back there in 2 days. This is going to be a long haul. How did your pt go?
 
PT should probably be uncomfortable but not actually painful.

I can relate to having a useless quad muscle. I usually describe it as my left leg took a 4 year vacation between pain and deformation. I had horrible muscle cramps for a while. Because every single thing is a workout for a muscle that wasnt engaged properly.

Two things helped me with that. I used a lot of magnesium oil on my quads. Magnesium oil is a natural muscle relaxant.

I also applied gentle heat to the upper thigh, staying carefully away from the joint and incision.

I also spent a lot of time jamming my fist into the muscle trying to reduce the cramping. That was less helpful.

All I can say is, it didnt last too long, and I am really, really glad I did it now.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom