Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left Leg TKR shin bone pain

Two things: 1) At 7 months post op, I had a sore spot on my right shin just below the knee implant that turned out to be an infection if the tibia bone. The bone turning to mush caused the implant to loosen. All it took was an X-ray to diagnose what was happening. 2) At 14 months post op, I got a sore spot on my left shin towards the inside, again right below the knee implant. This one turned out to be an inflamed bursa sac. It went away after a few days with rest, ice and elevation.
 
Hi Wallsy. I am also six months out and experiencing exactly the same as you. Initially in one leg after walking, now a bit in the other too (I had bilateral). In the first leg, it eased up with no walking due to the extreme heat here, but is now back sometimes. I was rather concerned, as it is to the side of where the post of the implant is and I was imagining loosening problems. I told my surgeon about it, but he showed little interest. Mine seems to come and go at random.
Lately I have had it to a minor degree on the inside edge too.
Impact on the joint seems to be what sets it off, rest the cure. Fed up with resting.
 
Just read Mrs. Cizs reply. That’s scary, I have read her story and it’s not nice. When I told my surgeon about mine, I had just had an X-ray which he declared to be just fine. Oh dear, what next?
 
Hi Ghostpipe,

it appears we share identical situations. I had also just had an Xray, same story form my Doctor, "it happens just keep going" I feel like I'm just getting kicked down the road until 12months has past then may be, may be ill be looked at more seriously, I hope I'm being cynical led by my frustration. I cant believe that after 6 months I have so much aching and stiffness, and limited ROM (105 now if I push it)

I agree when I read Mrs Cizs response and felt scary only, to scared to reply and hear more.

Good luck to you I hope you have a speedy and full recovery, All fellow suffers.
 
Likewise. Daveboy1810 has just posted a very interesting and reassuring video on this subject, it’s really set my mind at rest.
 
I had actually read or heard that theory before, it sort of made sense.
Joy more pain to get used to.
 
Hi Wallsy i am just 5 months post op and progressing but very slowly I seem to have a angry patella tendon or something just below my knee cap on the inside of my knee near my implant. I still ice and elevate a lot. I went back to work 6 weeks post op om light duties but I believe now that was way to soon. It is a balancing act with what you can and cannot do. Some days are good and some are not so good. My Wife and family are great and supportive. Bonesmart is a blessing only people who have experienced this procedure can fully understand the up`s and downs. Here's hoping you continue to recover.
 
Hi Wallsy, how is your shin pain? I stopped walking as exercise since you posted, and mine has gradually subsided, although I am vaguely aware of it from time to time.
Have just completed a 5 minute brisk walk, round and round the garden (riveting) then started to feel it so stopped. Going to keep this up daily now and hope that the time will increase.
Strange, it’s only brisk walking that does it with me.
 
Hi everyone its been some time since I posted. My TKR left leg was March 25th. My recovery has been long slow and frustrating. I'm not where I want to be but I have no measure stick to gauge if its where I should be. I have some 105 degrees flex on my knee, but pushing it. Swelling has massively reduced, i guess I can say gone. The rubber band around he knee is fading but still there in parts and tight. I walk most of the time with no limp but if I sit down for any time and stand the knee is stiff and so I limp. My tendons at the back of the knee are tight and not fully stretched. kneeling I topple over as I cant lean back enough. If any one has similar experience after similar time does it get better, do you exercise and what.

I try bending my knee and holding it, but I'm not sure it makes any improvement. Feeling that the physio has gone as far as it can.

Shin pain comes and goes, not as intense.

Is it scar tissue, I'm beginning to think a lot about private surgery to have it removed, if it is scar tissue.
 
I'm not where I want to be but I have no measure stick to gauge if its where I should be.
There is no measure or should be. Each and every TKR recovery is different - even on the same person.

For some recovery takes one year or longer. Stiffness does ease with time. Just keep moving and doing those gentle stretches. Don't worry about kneeling. This is something that may or may not happen.

Are you still icing the knee?
 
Hi Jaycey, Thanks for your comments. I understand the stiffness will ease with time, but I expected to be more flexible and less stiffness than i have now after 10 months. I don't ice as I don't feel or see any swelling.
My concerns are that as time progresses it gets too late to make any improvements, I'm far more incapacitated now than before the operation.
 
My concerns are that as time progresses it gets too late to make any improvements,

I had a lot of improvement in my second year post op. Don’t give up hope yet.
 
I don't ice as I don't feel or see any swelling.
But the stiffness is internal swelling. Try icing for 45-60 minutes several times per day. I think you will find this helps ease the stiffness.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom