Left hip THR scheduled in October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone! I am so glad I found this site. It has helped me prepare for this and it really helps to know support is just a few keystrokes away! 12 days and ticking down....


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
@Just4mules your date will be here before you know it. Waiting is possibly the worst part. I'm scheduled for October 19th for my RTHR. I had the left one done (posted my whole recovery here) in January 2013.

Take care and keep in touch.
 
@Just4mules you are under a week for waiting and it will go so fast, now. I hope you are keeping your spirits up and your eye on the prize!!!
 
Thanks for all your support Crickethip. I am ready to get to the next step. I am a little concerned about the insurance pre-authorization. The hospital staff person told me last week that the OS office waits until one week out to send the request because the approvals are for a limited time frame. Today the insurance company (Cigna) said the have received nothing. They also said approval takes 3-5 days to process once received. It is 6 days to surgery, so now I am fretting about that. I will call my OS office tomorrow to see what they say. I really do not want this delayed due to insurance reasons. Double sigh...


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
I had those very same worries! Their reply to my inquiry was that they handle this daily and know which ins. Companies are difficult.
I was able to get them to submit mine after I completed the pre op testing and it was approved, Without a hitch and I agree that a call may help get yours processed.
So many worries that last week! I'm sorry to sound trite but I bet it all goes smoothly. :praying:
 
I called my OS office today and left a message. I was surprised to get a call back just a few minutes later. She told me the insurance authorization was done and everything was in order. So no worries about that anymore. Pre-op with the PA tomorrow. Hip is not liking just Tylenol- at all!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Pre-op with OS done today. He said the X-rays today show the hip much worse than from this April. Everything is good to go for Tuesday. He said he will not release me the same day since I live over 80 miles from the hospital. I was relieved actually- this give them more time to figure out pain control for me. 4 more days...

Also great news, he said my other hip looks great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let them rush your discharge. The first days following your op your priority is to get that pain management cocktail just right. It's sometimes tricky so be sure a highlight any problems you have right away. Be your own advocate.
 
How will we be able to tell if the cocktail is right? I mean should we be pain free upon departure with meds
In hand? What if they are telling me something like "it will be ok once you get home"? I think I will be taking your advice and making sure I am pain free with a meds schedule before I leave.

Thanks for the heads up. My mind is racing now for fear that I have forgotten something. But hey, it is what it is. Somehow we will muddle through and carry on. Right?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@slapstep and @Just4mules i had right THR on Oct 8. I had problems with nausea, low blood pressure and when they took me off IV and tried the normal pill pain killer of Percocet that my doctor uses well that was a disaster on My system. So it took another day of trying other options along with gravol to settle on Dilauded. On the afternoon of third day on hospital I finally had one nurse ask me if I had had a bowel movement yet and he said to make sure I didn't leave hospital without having one as they have good options to help there. So he brought me back a liquid and within 3 hours I was cleaned out!! So as Jaycey says, speak up and if you are not getting success in good pain control before you leave (there will still be some pain. Don't expect to be pain Free). I was there for four nights -take your time and don't leave until you feel nausea and pain level and bowel movement under control! So hard to chase people down afterwards! Good luck
 
How will we be able to tell if the cocktail is right?
Your post op pain will be controlled. Sure, there is post op soreness. But it is nothing like what you are feeling pre-op. The trick is to stay ahead of the pain to get mobile.
 
Ok I think I am ready. House clean, laundry done, bills paid, and officially off work for the foreseeable future. Headed up to the guest house next to the hospital. Still no call yet with surgery time. Nervous but not too bad- just ready.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Just4mules a great report all around! That is super news about the other hip. I am so excited for you! Just you wait and see, the recovery is pretty amazing.. there are highs and lows, naturally, but wait til you walk and you don't feel that crunchy, sharp, bone on bone pain. My husband still remarks on how happy he was to see the look on my face when I took that first full step. I could cry, just thinking about tit.
Good luck,, enjoy your day, hopefully you start feeling that calmness settle over you, you know you're doing the right thing and you have everything set up for the near future.
 
You are ready @Just4mules! Based upon all the Bonesmartie's everyone is so happy with the results we all wonder why we didn't do it sooner. I will be three weeks on Wednesday and I'm walking 3 miles/day MUCH farther than I would even have considered pre-surgery. Remember your two new best buds :ice: and :sleep::sleep::sleep: spend lots of time with them and you will find your healing miraculous. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
 
So I have to be at the hospital at 8 surgery around 10. Tick tick tick. Going to be a long night.


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
I slept very little the night before. I was able to organize lots of little details.
Hopefully you can doze off by 2am!
Best wishes to you !!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom