THR laura_f's Questions for people recovering alone

laura_f

Country
United States United States
This is exactly why I came to this forum. I’m a single 47 yr old female who is planning on a THR in Sept. I rent out a bedroom and bathroom in a house but am really limited to those two areas (and the kitchen). I’m extremely worried about how I’m going to care for myself post op. I am wondering if it would make sense to rent out a motel room for the week following surgery, so that a home health worker could visit a couple of times a day. How much help will I need? Can I expect to do simple things like go to the bathroom, shower, dress my wounds and myself?

@laura_f. You have asked a lot of very good questions. Have you asked your surgeon for contacts or the hospital? At 47 you are very young and assuming in good health other than ostero in hip. Have you all the necessary aides after surgery ? prepare meals ahead and keep small mini frig in your room. Available Amazon for 50-60 $. even if you rent a room you will still need aides (Walker) to help you after surgery and getting up for restroom breaks a raised seat. Walkers, extension height toilet seats and higher pillows on chairs etc. many things needed to prepare ahead of surgery. Has the doc sent you thru a pre op session with a nurse that will address all the requirements and aides needed for recovery. And give you a booklet on self care after surgery.They assist in getting you all the aides needed. Amazon has a whole package for hip surgery patients from reachers to leg lifters to sock helpers. To keep dressing easier I recommend wearing loosely fitting over the head long house dresses. You never have to worry about lifting your op leg into pants , very difficult after surgery. There is no dressing changes on the surgical wound. It is always either glued and held with different type of bandage designed to last for 6 weeks. Only showers allowed keeping water from saturating the area and after 6-8 weeks generally it’s safe to allow baths.
Once you have all the necessary aides set up and meals prepared furniture raised with pillows to sit on after surgery it may be easier for you to rehab at home. Many have gone after THR on their own and much older than you. It’s of course up to you once you have a system set up for your recovery. Usually 6 weeks after surgery a doc visit required will usually allow you to drive and slowly get back to a normal life. Walking is the best thing after surgery . In a few months life quality will be improved. Remember if you have any issues during recovery your always free to call the docs nurse. Sending good vibes your way.

Last edited:
Well, I was lucky to be able to go stay with my mom for the surgery, but I’ve been home now since about 7 weeks out. As far as what I’m dealing with now, I purchased a (very cool) mobility scooter to help me do the things in my neighborhood I would normally walk for, but are too far now.

The most challenging issues I’m having are psychological. I’m a strong person and my PT appointments help to keep me on track, but I do have to work at maintaining hope and a positive attitude. Acceptance of myself and my level of ability is what it’s all about. If things aren’t perfect around the house or if I’m a little behind on my work, I have to be ok with that. I’m recovering and I don’t have anything to prove!

I know what you’re really asking, though, and I have thought about that. I would have had to board my dogs and stayed in a rehab center for a week or so. I know insurance covers that because my grandfather had to go when he was recovering from his triple bypass and my grandmother wasn’t strong enough to take care of him at home.

As nice as it was having mom’s help and as much of an adjustment as this has been, I’m still glad I’m home and living independently! Getting stronger every day! :)

Last edited:
I was never prescribed them. Thank God. I read an article by a doctor who wrote they are not really necessary. The article was by Dr Ast I believe he works at hospital for special surgery.

I think I might be the only person on the forums who didn’t mind the TED socks! :heehee:
I read the same thing, though! I know they are supposed to be made with special amounts of pressure at certain points, but I honestly didn’t see how they could have really been doing too much. Maybe my ankles were a bit less swollen...:shrug:

This is exactly why I came to this forum. I’m a single 47 yr old female who is planning on a THR in Sept. I rent out a bedroom and bathroom in a house but am really limited to those two areas (and the kitchen). I’m extremely worried about how I’m going to care for myself post op. I am wondering if it would make sense to rent out a motel room for the week following surgery, so that a home health worker could visit a couple of times a day. How much help will I need? Can I expect to do simple things like go to the bathroom, shower, dress my wounds and myself?

Hi Laura, I think you would be better off in a house where other people live than in a motel. Even if you’re not close with the people who live there, having someone who can hear you if you have to yell for help is important.

I had my THR with the anterior approach on 3/29 and I’m 45. I’m going to try to answer your questions based on my experience. Your recovery could go faster or slower than mine, but I can tell you what I know!

Someone will have to pick you up from the hospital and help you into bed when you get home. It may be really hard and you will have to be so careful, but I think you will be able to get to the bathroom even on the first day. Whoever brings you home should stick around and make sure. You will need a raised toilet seat over the toilet as you won’t be able to use the regular toilet for probably 2 weeks. It is nice to be able to have the raised toilet seat by the bed for your first day home, but if you don’t have anyone to help you clean it, that might not be an option.

You will need help to get the raised toilet seat into the shower (it’s a 3-in-1 thing) to get cleaned up, then back out over the toilet when you’re done. You don’t have to worry about your wound dressing, they will put a good one on at the hospital, your home health nurse will check it, then you should get it off at your two-week follow up. As for your clothes, yes, I think you will be able to dress yourself. It wasn’t a problem for me. You just have to be smart about what you plan to wear for the first few days or so. Comfortable nightshirts are great. I invested in a few pairs of men’s boxers too.

Otherwise, you will need a pre-plan for your meals and especially for your ice packs. You are going to want ice constantly for at least a week, including through the night. I got an ice machine on Amazon for about $200 and all I can say is I wish I had it sooner! Even with that, you will need to be able to get ice from the freezer once or twice a day. I think it is best to have 4-6 ice packs in the freezer to change out through the day, then use the ice machine at night.

Finally, if you are by yourself, I think you are going to want a walker, not crutches. If you are like me, you’ll be on the walker a couple of weeks, then move to the cane - with progress to the cane happening faster in your home than outside. From my experience, you want to be 100% sure that walker is actually there when you get home. My insurance gave my the run around and my mom had to go down to a charitable organization and pick one up to borrow. The insurance didn’t send one out until 3 weeks after the surgery! Best to get on it now.

Ultimately, I made the choice to leave home and go two hours north to stay with my mom for the surgery. If you have any options like that, they might be worth considering! If not for the surgery itself, then maybe if someone could pick you up and drive you to their place for some of the recovery.

Again, everyone recovers differently! I just wanted to try to give you some details since we are close in age and both live alone. You are in the right place and it sounds like you have enough time to get the information you need from the people here. In my experience, the surgeon, his office, and the hospital didn’t tell me much. I learned pretty much everything I needed to know on this website. Just stick around here and make a plan and you will be ok!

:flwrysmile:

There is no dressing changes on the surgical wound. It is always either glued and held with different type of bandage designed to last for 6 weeks.
Usually 6 weeks after surgery a doc visit required will usually allow you to drive and slowly get back to a normal life.
Just to comment that these two statements are from Hippielife's own experience and they do not always apply.

Different surgeons have different protocols concerning dressings, shower, and driving.

@Hippielife and @laura_f ,
I have moved your posts from Puggles' thread, because they were not addressed to Puggles and they had taken her thread off its focus on her.

On BoneSmart, the thread started by one person should focus on that person and not devolve into a general discussion for all.

There was a member recently that made arrangements and stayed at a motel. From what I remember they said it worked out great. Maybe someone can link you to their recovery thread. With some planning and good information beforehand from your OS office I think going it alone is doable especially after the first couple of days.
Many communities have transportation options especially for anyone with a health related situation.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks