Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kneecap Catching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

So I'm now 11 weeks post-op. All going well for the most part.

I've noticed a lot of clunking in my knee. I mentioned it to my consultant, he never resurfaced my kneecap due to it being in a strange position and now it's catching on my knee when I bend it. I've got to go back in 6 months to review it. Has anybody else been in this position? I'm curious that it will damage the patella or new knee long-term. It doesn't really hurt when it happens. I get a bit of a dull ache, but nothing bad. It happens every time I move my knee, I can feel it rubbing if I put my hand on my knee and bend it.

Another issue that's crept in, just the last couple of weeks. The medial side of my knee has become quite painful. This has only developed after I last saw my consultant but I mentioned it to my physio last week and she thinks it's something to do with my medial ligament. This really starts to hurt when I'm walking. I'm just putting this down to usual post-op changes at the minute, but it is getting worse rather than better. Another month until I next see my physio so I'll see how it is then.

Thanks
 
Doyley,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your kneecap catching and pain along the inside of your knee.
I am going to tag @Josephine , for her opinion.
 
Is it possible the medial ligament might be tight? My therapist has been massaging my ligaments to keep them flexible.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Doyley .... You may notice that I have merged your two knee recovery threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

Jo will be along soon to comment on your problems with pain. You really might want to consider seeing your surgeon sooner than a month from now if the pain continues.
 
Is it possible the medial ligament might be tight? My therapist has been massaging my ligaments to keep them flexible.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
Hi Jean. I don't think it would be the case with me. My surgeon and physio have both noted the opposite with me, I have quite loose ligaments because of my condition.
 
Too loose could cause pain, too. Probably not an easy fix if that's the case.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Really bad today, can barely walk, in extreme pain if I do. Phoned my consultants secretary who said she can't get me in with him, to go GP or A&E. Phoned GP and they've said to go A&E. Off I go, really don't like going A&E for this though.
 
I have a catching or should I say clunking and jumping knee cap. i am seeing my OS about it tomorrow. About 3 months post op now. if it wasn't there I would be perfect.
 
I doubt A&E will be very forthcoming! Bit too specialised for them.

Let's see if I can help at all ....
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Kneecap Catching


[Bonesmart.org] Kneecap Catching
 
Hi @Josephine . You are right, they sent me for an x-ray and said it was likely a pull of my medial collateral ligament. It's swollen and quite hot to touch. It was a nurse practitioner I seen, little disappointed it wasn't an ortho doctor, but what can you do.

The pain is probably in LF3 D or E. It is right on the joint on the inside of my leg. I have noticed since shortly after my op it felt a little jagged around that area if I touch it. I was a little paranoid that the surgeon may have left a sharp edge or something in that area, is that something that can happen?

They've told me to take it easy for a bit and see if it goes away. No appointment to see my consultant for 6 months. I've called my GP to see if they can arrange some of the pain meds I was on post-op for a little while to get me through. I was back in work, I had to leave today as I couldn't cope. I work in IT, so nothing strenuous but standing up and sitting down all the time was too painful.
 
Does this point to it?

[Bonesmart.org] Kneecap Catching



One thing to remember with these inflammatory things - we all to often ascribe them to a specific ligament of tendon. Which isn't to say that's entirely wrong but it has to be acknowledged that the inflammation is rarely confined to just that structure. One thing about inflammation is that it likes to share itself around a bit! Like dropping a bit of dye in a onto a cloth - it spreads around.

So, while I would agree it looks like it could be the medial collateral ligament, there's also pes anserine and the retinaculus (a broad band of fibrous tissue) and all of them can also get inflamed and painful. Something to think about.

[Bonesmart.org] Kneecap Catching
 
I hope it's nothing more than what they said. Although you are back to work, will you be able to take a day or two off to give it some more rest?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yeah that looks pretty much about right, @Josephine. I've been elevating, icing and the usual. It doesn't hurt when I'm sat, just when I stand and then it's awful. It worries me that it's a new problem that's started around 9-10 weeks post-op when it has been fine up to now. My knee keeps giving way now when I'm walking, especially when I'm trying to go up stairs when stairs haven't been much of a problem even a couple of days post-op.

Yes @Lovestoread I am very fortunate to have very understanding employers and work in an industry where I can work from home for the majority of my work. Obviously they'd prefer me in the office, but they are very considerate and let me work from home when I feel I need to.
 
Have you thought of trying a TENS machine? I used one for some weeks after a scope. Great little things!
 
That's a good idea .. I think I have about 4 of them lying around somewhere from the 10 years I was waiting for the replacement lol .. I bet I can't find any now. I'll get one tomorrow either way :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom