TKR Loosening of implant.

What is “Tramadol?” Is that a narcotic?

Tramadol is a synthetic opioid medication that is often used instead of stronger medications. It is available only by prescription, so you would need to speak to your GP or surgeon to get it. It should help you if you come home with pain after trying to work all day. Tramadol is not classed as a narcotic but it has many of the same benefits for pain relief. It is quite effective when taken with Tylenol.

Does Tramadol make one nauseous or tired? I will ask my doctor when I see him I November 17. I have such trouble with nausea and pain medicine.

I have been taking Tramadol combined with dexcetoprofeno "Skudexa" 75mg & 25mg
I have had no side effects nor does make me tired. Originally in the 1st week post op I took it 8/8 hours now reduced to 12/12 hours ( now 3 weeks post op)
For me it's been a life saver as my pain was pretty intense in between doses I use paracetamol now with this combination I am pain free which in turn allows me to gentle exercise at home and move about easily.
Check with your doctor as this is only available on prescription.
Hope you find something that works xxx

Well, I took two Vicodin last night and it did NOTHING for the pain so I’m guessing (95% sure) that it’s nerve pain because of the burning pain. I just went to Sam’s pharmacy and bought Lidocaine patches. I have a patch on the left and right side of my incision. I’ll let you know if it helps. I sure hope so.

If it is nerve pain your doctor may be able to prescribe something (non-narcotic) that will help with that--that you can at least take to get some relief at night. You may want to give him a call rather than waiting and suffering until your appointment.

Guess what?!!! On a whim I bought some Lidocaine patches from Sam’s on Saturday. I cut one patch in half and applied it on both sides of my upper scar, where the pain was originating from and ..... it worked!!! I haven’t had that horrible burning pain since Saturday! Yahoo!! I’m so excited!

A lot of this recovery is trial and error. You have found something that works great for you. Yippee!

Is it normal not to be able to descend stairs because of pain? I feel pain right below my knee cap. It’s been six weeks since my surgery. Do you think I have developed tendonitis? I can finally walk up stairs normally, but not down.

Is it normal not to be able to descend stairs because of pain? I feel pain right below my knee cap. It’s been six weeks since my surgery. Do you think I have developed tendonitis? I can finally walk up stairs normally, but not down.
Oh yeah. Going down the steps is harder for everybody. It was about 20 years that I couldn't go down the steps normally. Finally, after about 6 months after my TKR, I was able to go down the adult way. That was a day of celebration! You will be able to go down eventually without pain, too. Your knee right now is still a brand new baby that's not even 1/6 of the way healed.

Thanks for your encouragement! I don’t feel as nervous about it now.

The pain was soooo much less because they did not have to remove the femoral or tibial implants. They only removed the kneecap, placed a larger plastic button under the kneecap, placed a bigger plastic piece on top of the metal one on my tibia, and placed a new plastic component in between the two implants in my femur and tibia. They then did a lateral release. The pain of my initial knee replacement was almost too much to bear, but this recovery was much much easier.

@bookread, what is and why did they do a lateral release? I had a L knee revision almost 14 months ago on Dec. 3. My tibia and femur seem fine but I have constant swelling in my kneecap with soreness (not so much pain). It bothers me at night when I sleep in a fetal position. I have a 130 degree bend. Today I felt myself limping a bit. My Revision OS did not replace the patella button because "the knee was tracking good". When I saw him on July 16th, they took x-rays. The PA comes in first and says, "it looks like a loose patella button". The OS comes in next and says, " the patella button is NOT loose!" This great PA is no longer working for my OS. The OS said, "I was expecting too much from my revision"!
Orthopedic doctors read their own x-rays. They do not send them out to be read by a radiologist.
I see my internist on Dec. 6 and have requested a x-ray of my L knee. It will be interesting to see what a radiologist says.

Last edited:
From my understanding, a lateral release is when the surgeon makes a small slit (cut) into a tissue (retinaculum) surrounding the kneecap to allow the kneecap to align properly. The surgeon had to perform this procedure because my kneecap was off by 5°. It was tilting to one side. My kneecap is now where it should be and I’m at 0°.
The initial x-rays did not show the loosening. Only the CT scan showed the loosening. It was very clear on the scan exactly where my patella button was loosening off of my patella. There was a gap.
When I had my CT scan, it was done at a different facility and therefore a radiologist read the report and typed up the report and attached it to the CT scan results and sent it to my OS. My initial surgeon dismissed the findings and refused to believe it was loose. Hence, I was in horrible pain for eight months.
However, my new surgeon viewed the CT scan and totally agreed with the radiologist that my patellar button was indeed loose. In fact it was too small and bone was protruding from both ends causing an impingement.
If I were you, I would insist on a CT scan.

@bookread .... something has happened and your image is no longer viewable. Can you post it again, please?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom