Knee replacement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnil

I'm new to this forum and hope I will find support and answers. :friends:
I have just been advised that I need a new knee. No cartilage on right knee. I am very nervous but that is probably normal. Right now the pain when walking is in both knees. X ray shows arthritis in left but not requiring replacement. My question is, if the pain in left knee is a result of overcompensating will the pain subside once the right knee is replaced. Actually the pain is both knees, ankles and hips...could all this be the result of one knee....??? What can I expect????

Most people have arthritis in both knees - that's very normal. As to whether the pain you have in that left knee is due to the arthritis or from compensating for the right, who knows? Could very well be both. But you may well find it subsides after the surgery is done and most of the recovery completed. Certainly hips and ankles all get referred pain which should abate once the knee is fixed.

When you say what can you expect, can you be a little more specific? Are you referring just to the pain or what?

I do suggest you go to the knee recovery forum and have a read of the threads in there. They will give you a lot of insight into what recovery is like. Also read in the Library (link up top of the page) where you will find lots of helpful information.

Welcome, adnil!!! I'm glad you joined us here on BoneSmart. Please don't hesitate to ask specific questions about your concerns. Information helps take away a lot of the fear. You have many fellow BoneSmarties here who will support you through the surgery and recovery.

I'll second Jo's suggestion that you have a look around the recovery forum and the BoneSmart Library. Here are a few library threads to get you started:

The first set is essential reading, the second is useful and the third is good information, But you will need it all

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Discussion on managing pain in TKR surgery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Welcome to the forum! You have been given some very, very good advice. Some need both knees replaced---others can get by with one replaced and that allows the overcompensation of the "good knee" to disappear.

i needed both done, and I ended up with a BTKR. Take a look at the forum library as it has great articles and information---and please keep posting and lest us know how things are going and if you have other questions or concerns.

Thanks folks, lots of reading info that will help I'm sure....I will take a look around the recovery forum. will keep you updated as I go along.....:thumb:

Welcome to BoneSmart!

We are always here for support and to answer any questions you might have. If we don't know the answers, someone else probably will. We have all been in your shoes, and it can be a stressful time, but one that is a lot more manageable with good information!:wink1:

Welcome to the forum. Your question is an interesting one as I have a friend who asked a similar question after my knee replacement.

He was experiencing issues with both his other knee and hip and was wondering if the knee replacement would alleviate some of the other issues. He had a partial knee replacement and has already noted some relief with the other discomfort he was experiencing.

Every situation is different, however, there does appear to be some individuals who have expressed improvement with other discomfort because they were overcompensating based on knee pain.

Best wishes to you and feel free to keep us updated on your progress.

Welcome Adnil,

The one thing I can say is that knee replacement will change your life for the better!! Life without arthritis pain is amazing. Activities that you have given up or do only by paying a price in pain and discomfort will be available and enjoyable again.

The journey is not a "piece of cake" but neither is living with arthritis.
I've had both knees done in 2011 and i am very pleased.

The answers to your questions will largely come as you progress through the experience.

Good luck and be sure to ask questions here. The is a wealth of experience and expertise here at Bonesmart.

I have found that the more I favor my bad knee the more the opposite knee and hip bother me. I would expect once the bad knee is fixed this should alleviate the increased stress on the other joints. Best of luck.

Welcome aboard, adnil.

Thanks all.......I've already found answers to some of my worries but I do have a question and hope it doesn't sound silly.....so......I love taking baths and the only way I can get up is to kneel on my right knee and pull myself up. My friend said I will have to give up baths as I will no longer be able to kneel on my right knee......Is this true? I know it sounds so trivial but it's important to me.
Secondly should this new question be started under a new thread??
I'll figure it all out eventually...:/)

Hello Adnil,

I am the same way. We have a Whirlpool tub and love to take baths in it. I have to kneel so I can get up. After I had my first knee replaced, I used a knee pad. I drained the water then put on the kneepad used for kneeling and working on hard surfaces. I did this until I could bear the weight again on my new knee.

I know there are some that are never able to kneel again, but if that is the case for you, you can always use the kneepad.

Just lurking about and have a couple of comments about my recovery that are pertinent. I had my left knee replaced about 1.5 years ago. It was bone on bone and hindering me greatly. The surgery got rid of knee ankle and foot pain on that side. When the OS took out the bow on that leg it took pressure points off my foot and straightened my ankle. My right knee is complaining more loudly now.

As far as kneeling, although I'm sure there are some that can no longer kneel, most knee replacement recipients can kneel very easily. Its just that the surgery cuts some nerves that numb parts of the knee to touch. It just feels so dang weird to put weight on it, you avoid it. Like you one of my knees was worse than the other.

The nerves will settle and the operation helps nearly all that do it. Concentrate on finding the right OS. That is the most important factor in the outcome. Just because the current doc recommended the operation doesn't mean he is the right OS. This will be the biggest factor in your success.

Bill

It just feels so dang weird to put weight on it, you avoid it.

Bill

That's true, isn't it! I've avoided it until recently but once you try you find it no problem. I can't sit back on my haunches though, I suspect I never will, but who cares? It's a zillion times better than the old knee.:biggrin:

Compensations can certainly cause other issues. I put off my TKR until it was affecting my other knee, hips, ankles, and back. Everything else has improved post-op, but YMMV. My mom's other knee got worse post-TKR.

I first tried kneeling on a padded surface at 4 weeks and can now keel on hard surfaces pain free, but it still feels weird. I've begun doing Turkish Getups without weight as a mobility assessment/exercise. I hope to start adding weight soon.

That's true, isn't it! I've avoided it until recently but once you try you find it no problem. I can't sit back on my haunches though, I suspect I never will, but who cares? It's a zillion times better than the old knee.:biggrin:

I've never been able to do that. I've never been able to cross my knees or sit crosslegged (indian style.) We are not only all different, but have always been that way. But you are absolutely correct about the new knees.

Bill

Hello and welcome to BoneSmart Adnil
Glad you found this forum it is a great place full of answers and support

Hi adnil! I hope you are getting all your questions answered and your fears are dissipating! Even though I am still in the midst of recovery, I love my new knee! Kneeling is not comfortable for me yet and I have only really tried it on my bed.

Thanks for your support. I'm in the right place for helping me make my decision to go ahead with the surgery or wait a few years and just have pain management. the doctor thinks he would rather I was older but he also realizes i'm walking bone on bone so it's not conducive to putting it off. Right now I take 500 mg of Tridural and Tylenol 3 for pain and I can;t begin to imagine what 3 more years of that will do to me. I'm pretty sure I'll go for it. Thanks for all your responses and welcomes, It helps :yes 4

I don't think you'll regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette