TKR Knee one year on

It is so easy to upset our healing leg. You were injured again when the dog ran into you, pushing through pain to do something is not going to help that heal.

It’s great that your doctor agreed to give you another month off!
 
It is so easy to upset our healing leg. You were injured again when the dog ran into you, pushing through pain to do something is not going to help that heal.

It’s great that your doctor agreed to give you another month off!
Thanks for replying. I have rested today as I couldn't face any exercise anyway. I will get back to it once this set back has healed.
 
Hypertrophic scar
I did some research online after my surgeon mentioned something about my scar that I didn't quite catch. Should of asked him but instead I turned to Google. Apparently by body has decided to go over the top with the healing and given me a scar that looks like a worm, my sister has a similar one on her elbow. Anyway I have found that silicone strips that are supposed to help flatten and improve the appearance, also help with that awful feeling of fabric, clothes and bedsheets touching it. Hope this might be of use to others. Amazon sell lots of different ones.
[Bonesmart.org] Knee one year on
 
Hi all, sorry if I have put this in the wrong place but I'm not sure how to link it under my thread.
I am 12 weeks post op and returned to work last week as school catering assistant. I did 2 hrs on 2 days last week and 2.5 on 2 days this week but I have been in so much pain after work and all over the weekend. My doctor has signed me off for the rest of the week and then we get 2 week break for Easter. She said if I'm still bad to contact my surgeon again. I feel really fed up that I can't even manage 2.5 hours a day but it's standing all that time. Any thoughts, advice or sympathy will be welcome
 
Standing for more than 20-30 minutes still bothers my knees, one which is almost a year old, particularly if it is on concrete which I’m guessing is your case. Is there any possibility you could use a stool to take some of the weight off your knees? What is important is to elevate and ice as soon as you get home. You’re very early in your recovery and your knee will continue to experience swelling which will result in pain.
 
Sorry to hear your finding it hard Tegbennet. I am at the four month point of recovery and it is getting easier but work would be a no no for me. Hope you get lots of rest over Easter. Take care Jcx
 
12 weeks is still early in this recovery that takes an average of 52 weeks (one year) Pain upon standing still for a length of time, even on line at a grocery store, is pretty common at this stage. I’m glad your doctor has authorized more time off for you.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I watched both my surgeries live. They were two completely different surgeries. June 10th 2021 very little pain. March 31, 2022 more sawing, trimming, hammering and am sure he was building a house. I understand the difference in pain. I downhill skied 6 months after first surgery. Wishing you great recovery.
 
Last edited:
16 weeks and trying another phased return next week. The last one wasn't good. I found the standing was the worst as it stiffened and swelled. I'm nervous about going back as my company are not being very helpful. Refused to start over phased return and wanted me to start where we left off. I pushed my point that it didn't work last time and I needed to ease into work again. People just don't understand that it's not a standard thing with healing, some recover quickly and for others it takes more time. My range of motion is good and my surgeon checked x-ray. He said I have low placed patella and he thinks this is causing more pain but he said there wasn't much he could do about it. I'm going to take an ice gel pad to work with me and keep moving as much as possible so I don't seize up.
 
I wanted to say that my scar looks exactly like yours, like a purple/pink worm. I haven't been wearing those strips to help minimize it but I do rub it with lotion every now and then to push it down a little bit. My right knee scar eventually flattened out and turned white but it's much wider than most people's pencil-line scars. That's just me, I guess.... :shrug:

I'm sorry your phased return to work is on the slow side. My boss was very accommodating and let me ease back into it slowly. My work is only 4 hour shifts and only very part time. Bringing an ice pack to work and taking some time to use it on breaks is a good idea. Good luck with your phased return......
 
Hi everyone, I am about to celebrate my one year new knee anniversary on Jan 8th. It was a hard recovery in the beginning but finding this forum helped me massively. Best advice was to not over do the PT it will swell and cause you pain and set you back. Keep a track of your recovery and look back often to see how far you have come. Remember that it takes up to a year to fully heal. At 6 months I felt like I had made it through the hard stuff and started enjoying my life again. I wish you all the best in your journeys and a Happy New Year from me
 
That’s great that you have recovered well, and you are so right about not overdoing the PT. You may even see continued improvement, as I did, in my second year.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Happy New Year to you too!
Thanks for stopping by to share your progress and encourage others.
Wishing you an early Happy One Year Anniversary. May 2023 be even better!
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@Tegbennett
 
@Tegbennett thanks for that nice dose of hope for all of us going through it! It’s great to hear from someone on the other side…it reminds us this is not forever and happier days are on the way!
 
Back
Top Bottom