Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Knee implant failure.

You have been through so much. I had a revision and I can say it was the best thing I could have done. Prior to my revision my ROM was 95/10. I was living in a lot of pain and I was having great difficulty working. I was fortunate that I found an OS that does revisions and he lectures other OS on TKR and the latest technology. My ROM when last measured was 130/5. My extension is slowly getting better. I did experience a lot if anxiety and fear goinb into the revision surgery but i figured it couldnt get any worse and my new OS was thorough in explaining everything with me. As far as pain medications go there are medications that are patches that are placed on your body that can deliver pain relief. That might be the way to go. Good luck with your decision.
 
Hi Nauchi k... I don't have more information but just a virtual hug and hand up in encouragement! I'm about your age, too, and really encourage you to be a staunch advocate for yourself! And, maybe think of a friend or family member you can ask to step in when you feel a bit defeated... Although you'll get lots of support here, for sure. I'm so thankful you found this wonderful support system here! You will find the right doctor to help you and you will get through this!
 
I haven't had a revision either, but I'd also like to say I'm thinking of you and hope you'll find a way forward. We are here for you, anytime.
Tabby xxx
 
Perhaps another opinion? I know that represents work to you, but hearing the same thing twice makes our decisions easier.
 
Hi:
Small world, Dr. Pappodemus in Wichita did my revision surgery, but it was a limited revision. The only hardware that was changed out was my spacer, the upper and lower prosthetic are the original set. Despite that the recovery was similar to a revision recovery. Still had to go through all the PT and healing time. I think if he had changed out the prosthetic it would have taken longer. he is not the type to make a change if it is not needed, and he originally told me he didn't think I needs a total revision replacement, but once he was in there he would make the final decision. I did here the same opinion twice in my case and I chose between hi, and a surgeon in Kansas City.

That being said, having gone through a full recovery once, the revision recovery was so much easier for me. I think I finished PT in 5 weeks total and had all my ROM back in 6 weeks. I have a follow on appointment this week with him, because the knee cap issue is not resolved, but all the other issues of looseness are resolved. You might also consider trying the smith and nephew knee. i really love mine and it does not suffer from the metal allergy issues some get. I treasure my quality of life, and the closes I can get back to it, I will take it.
 
My recovery was actually much better with the revision even though EVERYTHING was replaced. I think it was the fact that I was getting better each week was much better for me for the simple fact that I did get better.
 
Another point, when my wife came to picked me up from the hospital, we had a 2 hour drive back. it was raining cats and dogs and my wife was scare to death and pulled over. Guess how we got home? I drove and used my right leg and knee that i just had a revision on. The day after surgery I walked around the ward three times unassisted by a walker or a can. I climbed stairs in PT also that day, all the original TKR patients where still in their chairs trying to bend their knees. The only thing you might have holding you back is your inability to get a full ROM and recovery. I'd say look at this as a solution and make it so. I think this will be the best outcome you can find.

This week we will decide what to do about my knee cap issue. If he decided he can't realign, I may have to do a full revision. If so, i will see at least two more surgeons to see what they say. I still have confidence in Dr. pappademus, so I just do opinions for my peace of mind and get confirmation. But everyone I have ever talked to holds him in very high reguard.
 
Just wanted to say, I had my surgery done several hours from home, and have talked to people who flew across the country to have surgery with their preferred dr. It takes some planning, but presented no big problems. I did have to put a little more money into it, to pay a friend to drive me down and pick me up, to pay for a hotel room for a while, and to pay for services while I was in the hotel, such as food delivery, and taxis. It made it much easier than another friend offered to stay with me for that first week in the hotel. Before that, my plan was to go down there with a pocket full of five dollar bills, to bribe the desk clerk to bring me ice or any other little things I needed.
 
Thanks for everyone's input especially Wheatberry and for the well wishes. It does suck to have to go through this again, but time to put on my big girl panties and get with the program. I am so envious of the majority of you who have experienced good outcomes and actually are glad they had a TKR. I have never had a moment where I don't feel as if something alien has taken over my knee. Although it is fairly functional and I can do stairs normally, albeit stiffly, the leg length differential and constant low level pain are draining. I struggled through eight months of extremely aggressive physical therapy at the VA Center which I will not repeat. I'm definitely going to adopt the Bone Smart philosophy for recovery and rehabilitation.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I selected the hospital just in case there are complications. Plus PT was there already. This surgery was a bit more than what I wanted in a surgical center. Also it was the quickest I could get in.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wberry I originally was scheduled to have my revision surgery September 23, but had to cancel it because of my husband's vacation plans. The next opening wasn't until November 14. We have a farm with horses, ducks, cats and a house dog so my husband can't stay in Wichita with me. Dr. Pappademos tentatively said three days in the surgical center and six weeks before I can drive. Your emergency driving story gave me hope. Right now my flexion is 95 degrees and extension is 5.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom