THR Just had a successful surgery

Yes, the emojis can be fun and this is action you want to avoid while biking -> :bicycle2:
Glad your hip is feeling good overall and you were able to enjoy an activity you like.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend!
@NoHippo
 
Outdoor biking has been great. It’s good exercise and has not hurt my hip. I have also been able to go back to upper body weightlifting at the gym. I feel good now, and don’t want to take any chances on ruining my new hip, so I plan on gradually increasing weight on lower body workouts.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well and you’re enjoying the gym and an occasional bike ride.
Let us know how you’re doing when you have a minute. We like updates. :)
A great week to you!
@NoHippo
 
Thank you.

The hip feels great!

Biking feels better than before since I no longer have pain. At the gym, I can carry around the 95 pound dumbells with no pain. (Upper body) I have not yet had a leg workout, but I plan on easing back into those and stay pretty light for a while.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
We hope you’re doing well since you last updated.
Please fill us in as time allows. We’d love to hear all about your progress.
Until then, all the best to you!
@NoHippo
 
Thank you. My hip feels great. So far, I am able to ride my bike and lift weights without any pain. I kind of miss running, but riding my bike is a pretty good replacement activity. It is nice having a fully functioning hip again, so I don't want to take needless risks that might cause damage.
 
I know some do run after THR, but I’m with you, I wouldn’t want to risk the additional wear and tear it may cause.

I think it’s healthy to be able to find alternatives to the familiar that still benefit and fulfill us. Life is about change and readjustments.

I was whining :hairpulling: to my mom one day about something I could no longer physically do and she reminded me that I can do things she’s can’t and my daughter can do things I can’t and so on.

You're still young and it sounds like you’ve found healthy alternatives to keep you physically engaged. May it only get better and better!
Stay in touch, progress reports always appreciated.:)
@NoHippo
 
I have been biking pretty hard, and I notice that lately, it feels like the muscles or ligaments around my hip are a little tight. The pain is pretty mild, but I have read horror stories of people who have damaged their hip replacement. Is it common for people who exercise a little bit too excessive to have tightness 6months later? My surgery was 6 months ago.
 
Yes, 6 months isn't really that far out from your surgery. It takes a long time to heal-- sometimes longer than a year.

I'd say the tightness means what it usually means-- that you are overdoing it a bit. See if it gets better when you back off. If it doesn't, call your doctor.

Thanks for posting! Your posts have helped me.
 
The pain is pretty mild, but I have read horror stories of people who have damaged their hip replacement. Is it common for people who exercise a little bit too excessive to have tightness 6months later? My surgery was 6 months ago.
Definitely can feel tightness at 6 months, and though you aren't likely to damage your prosthetic hip, you can certainly overdo to the extent that you end up dealing with a dreaded case of tendonitis... which can sideline you.

Happy to hear you are doing so well....just be patient with that baby hip and don't overdo.
 
@NoHippo Wondering if you did go back to running, or will go back to running some day? It’s super important to me to do so and my surgeon was supportive. I have resolved to leave it until around 6 months to make sure I am really well healed. I am doing lots of swimming, walking, gym work / weights, Aqua classes etc. Unfortunately I didn’t learn to rise a bike as a child, and a few attempts when my own children were young left me traumatised by it. So I will go on a static bike in the gym, but I can’t replace running with it.
 
I think that running is probably ok if it is short distance. I may try it on a rubberized track sometime. I never loved running, but I am really enjoying my ebike. Lots of fun on hills and windy days. I also enjoy weightlifting. I made sure that my surgeon was ok with it.
 
I’m finding that as long as I use good form, I can safely lift a fair amount of weight in the gym. Lifting for years has given me good bone density. I’ve also changed my reps from 8-12 up to 15-20. I’m overall very impressed with how well this hip replacement is working out.
 
Another great update! Weight lifting can be very beneficial.
increasing weight sometimes confuses me, why increase to the extent of injury if you aren’t in it for competing? Not that you are doing that, but I like putting that thought into people’s head to mull over.
I see too many people regretting that last additional weight or rep.
I am getting to itch to begin weight training again, myself! Just watching the COVID numbers before making a move.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom