Just got the bad news. Scared and feel too young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got my official diagnosis. Bilateral hip displasia is at 42. I thought I needed one hip...and I need 2. With toddlers. Ugh. Gotta make some decisions.
 
Hi @Toddlermom, I am sorry to hear that you have a challenge ahead of you. I am scheduled for bilateral total hip replacement Dec 10, I have a 13 year old daughter and am concerned about how my recovery period will go and hoping it will not affect her adversely. I can only imagine how you must be feeling with toddlers to care for. Sincerely wishing you the best during this difficult time.
 
Hi jodi, and all. I just want to share briefly, and check in here, as I'd posted in jodi's thread about 4-days before my surgery. I'm now 16 days post-op, and haven't felt better in years. I hope each and every one that is afflicted with these diseases gets some relief, no matter how it comes.

The total hip replacement really wasn't the big monster I'd thought it to be either, and I've never had any major surgery before that. Modern medicine and our fine doctors and surgeons' are so equipped for it, its mind boggling to me.

My surgery and new hip are one of the best things I've ever had in life... To answer just a few questions, of the many we always have...

Was it painful? Not too bad at all, really not much more then a hard day at work, and easily controlled by medication, as there's many to choose from.... and it works well when taken as prescribed. There will probably be some post-op "soreness" as you ramp up the activity. I get a little bit "sore"... especially the first few walks.. but its way different then the knawing/grinding terrible pain we had.. nothing like it. Its a refreshing, healing feeling really in some ways, and it lessens every day.

How long will I be on a walker, crutches or a cane? That just depends, I've heard of just days, and I've heard of weeks. In any case though, a walker or cane won't hinder getting back to life. It can be amazing what we can do with either of those in tow... and the cane makes a great tool for other things as well, so don't let that be a hurdle... there are ways to use either/any of these to a great advantage.

Will I be able to return to normal activity? I'm thinking so, at least that's my plan... and within just days I'm doing very mild productive things.. and feel great about it, and walking at least 1/2 mile a day, I've walked a mile a few days ago, and will again this week. I've not walked like this in years, all without pain. I couldn't walk 100ft. prior to my new hip.

I just share this as a hope for us, and so others know help is out there.... and it works. Its all a big decision that we must come to our own terms with, and that's part of the process... but when you're ready, there's hope and help. I know that for a fact. Keep reading and learning. I wish you well.
 
Since you have all the pain and have taken so much medication and such to try and relieve the pain, I'd say you're NOT too young for THR. It seems you've tried everything and are left with only one real good solution. I think there's too much emphasis placed on age numbers and not enough on what is happening to a person's body. Your hip seems to be saying "I'm done," so maybe you should listen to your body and get something done that really WILL help. You have so much life ahead of you, why spend it in increasing pain? At almost 8 weeks past my own, sudden surgery, I'm feeling that, had I been living with hip pain for a long time, I'd have jumped at the chance to have this done. You will have the support of so many of us, here, and there are very knowledgeable people who have been there and can help you through the journey. I also encourage you to keep reading the stories, here, and learn all you can about THR. This is a wonderful community and, should you go for the surgery, we'll be here to support and encourage you!
 
Like some others I don't come here often anymore...

I waited until I was 53 to have my THR (bad hip due to car accident at 16). Now I am 11 months post op and except for the scar don't even realize I have a new hip.

Every day you delay is a day you won't be living this finite thing we call life to its fullest.
 
hi, all. I just turned 42 last month. Today i got the dreaded news: need a thr. I Have hip dysplasia and "plenty of tears" in my labrum, according to the dr. I have had severe pain for a while, and was expecting a labral tear and arthroscopic surgery and then i would be all better. I feel so deflated. Scared. And honestly, ticked off. Anyone else been here, done that? I dont have a clue what to expect moving forward. I have an incredible tolerance to pain, which has been a disservice, imo, since i didnt get treatment until it was "too late" for conservative measures. I have only been taking aleve and tylenol for the pain and using pain patches and biofreeze. Lately I have radiating pain into my butt cheek and down into my thigh bone, and actually in my lower leg now too. Last few days i have had terrible night cramps in that leg. Not sure if it's the crapped-out joint or an effect from my cortisone injection, which i had 1.5 weeks ago. And on that topic, the pain has come back postinjection, yet not as severe...yet. Another disappointment. Dr said now to try Celebrex and Tramadol. And said arthroscopic surgery wont help. Next step is THR. Wondering how much time these meds (bandaids) will buy me. And should I just say screw it and have the surgery soon or hold out for something....not sure what that is. Stumbled across this web site in my quest for info and answers. Would sure like to hear from anyone in their 40s with a similar situation.

Desperate for advice and comradery. Thanks

I had the full replacement in April 2013 when I was 41, best thing that happened to me bar the birth of my kids. Suffered from when I was in my early 30's with bone on bone hip pain.

Long story short, I now cycle, run, squat almost 100kgs and generally get about like a someone without a care in the world. I no longer think about the replacement at all, I was popping painkillers like smarties and now I don't take one single tablet. Towards the end the tablets weren't doing anything for me and it wasn't worth my while taking them to be honest.

I was told in my mid 30's that I was far too young for a hip replacement but I kept annoying my doctor until I got an appointment with a specialist. He took one look at it when I was 39 and put me down for a the op.

I was walking unaided without a limp after 5 weeks, cycling again after 10. The benefits are unreal, I would certainly recommend the operation if it's been offered to you, no point living in constant pain taking tablets that won't help you.
 
Hi @Jodi Z. I'm a bit older but when my doc told me I needed THR, I almost shouted, "I'M TOO YOUNG FOR THIS!!!" And too healthy!!! I am almost 7 weeks post op and I wish I could tell you it was a breeze but it wasn't and isn't. The main reason I wanted to respond is the pain in your butt running down your leg you describe. One of the really big problems I've had post op is piriformis syndrome which your pain sounds like. It's been very hard to deal with post op because of some of the precautions I've been given and has been far more problematic than the surgical pain. I would even say it has drastically slowed my recovery. So anything you can do to stretch and strengthen that piriformis muscle pre op would probably be a good idea. That said, if I weren't under these precautions it probably wouldn't have been such an issue and I'm not sorry I did it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom