Guest viewing is limited

TKR JG's new knee

I am looking for some feedback from the March 2019 tkr group or people who are about 8-9 weeks post surgery like me. I think I am doing well, but how do you know? Wondering how you are doing, how much you are doing, challenges etc. I am off pain meds, Aleve and Tylenol only. Sleeping better most nights. Still feel stiff , tight and achy from hip to toe due to the increase in activity, especially the day after a new set of harder PT. I think I just need validation that the progress from here on is going to be slower than previous weeks. Thanks!
 
Still feel stiff , tight and achy from hip to toe due to the increase in activity, especially the day after a new set of harder PT
Be careful with harder PT, there’s no need for PT that causes extra pain like this.

Gradually add activities so that you don’t overdo. You still have a lot of healing to do.
 
Still feel stiff , tight and achy from hip to toe due to the increase in activity, especially the day after a new set of harder PT. I think I just need validation that the progress from here on is going to be slower than previous weeks. Thanks!
It sounds as if the increased activity and harder PT are a bit too much for your knee at this stage. It's not a good idea to increase both at the same time.

Remember the advice we gave you earlier:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
​

Yes, recovery does seem to slow down about now. It's a year-long recovery and from now on you'll be measuring progress in weeks, rather than days. That doesn't matter, because slow, steady progress is good.
[Bonesmart.org] JG's new knee
 
@jg31919 , it does feel like recovery has slowed down a bit. I really thought my flexion was stuck at 95, but I asked my PT to measure and it was 108! My extension has improved, too. Not quite zero yet, but so close! I am starting to do some strengthening at PT mostly riding the bike (pedaling forward with no resistance), using stairs going foot over foot (not going down yet), bridges with my legs extended on an exercise ball, and doing leg press with no real weights yet. I don’t use the cane to walk around the house but I use it when I leave the house, mostly for balance and to avoid limping. If I walk slow enough, I don’t limp.

I am sleeping better, so that’s a plus. I sleep on my side now but I wake up stiff behind the knee. I am able to loosen it up with stretching. My knee clicks a lot. In fact, my husband and PT both told me they can hear it. I have always had a lot of grinding and loud crepitus in both knees, so what’s a different sensation and noise, right? :heehee:

I think overall, I am doing good. I love that I don’t have any arthritis pain! I am looking forward to the day when my knee is strong and I walk confidently. I was really hoping to do some hiking this summer but I don’t think I will be ready for it. Next spring for sure :egypdance:
 
Back
Top Bottom