Guest viewing is limited

TKR It's done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw my doc yesterday ---I had asked him about going home right after surgery. He told me that he now does do that. He feels that since we live in a small town, if he has a patient who understands the risks of DVT and the symptoms, then they can go home. He gives them his cell phone. I hated the hospital.
 
I'm happy for those who go straight home, but it wasn't for me. I wanted to stay in the hospital to make sure everything was ok and was going to stay ok. I wanted to go to rehab and was very happy when they suggested it.
 
I needed to stay so they could get my pain med situation sorted out. I sort of had one "lost" day in the hospital. :( I'm hoping I'll stay fewer days the next time in part b/c I'll be stronger going in.
 
of course, like everything else, it should be at least to some degree, personal choice. I am very independent---in fact that is what the nurses told me husband---"she is so independent, she needs to go home asap"! I agree totally with that.
 
Dr. Berger
I'm seeing a Dr. Schoifet at Virtua who seems to have a similar type of reputation. I'm also scheduled as an "out patient" which means, if all goes well, I should be home the same day as the surgery.
Berger sounds amazing!
 
I find this totally unconscionable as the first 48 hours are fraught with the danger of complications
Dr. Schoifet told me that he finds his patients do better at home. They send a PT and possibly a nurse (if insurance covers it) to your house. I think he said that the chances of infection are less at home than in a hospital ??

Here's a link to his info regarding same day TKR: https://www.virtua.org/en/portals/p...les/2009/same-day-total-knee-replacement.aspx
 
I had a nurse and PT at my house the next morning. The nurse continued to come three times a week for two weeks. I felt much better being at my own house in my own bed, with my husband pampering me (well, maybe that last one didn't really happen!).
 
@trueblue56 how are you doing? I was wondering how your recovery was going. We haven't heard from you. I hope you are doing well and are not having any problems.

Take care!
 
Hi daughter stalker! I'm doing real well- 4 wks. post-op yesterday. Physical therapy progressing along. I don't have any pain just a little sore and stiff at times. We are really working on extension because my knee was so contracted from all those years of severe arthritis! It's the only thing that frustrates me a little- I want a straight leg so badly! Starting to think about my next surgery in less than 2 wks. (Right knee on 10/17.) Sorry I haven't posted lately. I just think my recovery is kind of boring. Let's hope my next surgery will be equally as boring! How are you? Thanks for thinking of me.
 
trueblue56 I'm plugging along. I remember wanting a straight leg. It took me 11 weeks. I hope it doesn't take you that long. I hope things go as well if not better with your next surgery.

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom