THR It's almost baby time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on all bumps! I had my daughter 11 months after my 1st revision, it was a very hard pregnancy as I wasn't recovered by the time I got pregnant, (she is a very beautiful surprise after 10 years trying!) towards the last trimester I was mostly sofa bound due to the weight and discomfort, so please take it easy! X
 
Sorry to hear of the discomfort Shuga, but Congrats on the Baby!!! How wonderful!! I hope things are settling down and you are taking it easy. Please pamper yourself as much as possible and enjoy your pregnancy!
 
Hello BoneSmart family!! I'm sorry it has been such a long time since I last checked in. Life has been pretty crazy in the last year or so. I started a new position at my job that while has a longer commute, is a job I absolutely love. My hubby also has a new job and an even longer commute so we don't get quite as much time together as we would like. I also posted in the spring time that I am expecting my first child...and here we are- almost due! So life has been nuts getting ready for the arrival of baby!

We found out this summer that we are expecting a boy and I couldn't be more thrilled! After years of teaching dance it is refreshing to not have to buy pink and purple glitter clothes but instead buy things with dinosaurs and baseball! :)

My pregnancy has been hit or miss with my hip. Overall, it has been a good experience and I have been blessed with a very healthy pregnancy. I had very little nausea, etc. I did have a painful bout of sciatica for awhile and my body has not been thrilled with the weight and physical changes. I had some hip problems right at the beginning of the second trimester where I was in constant pain that felt like pre-surgery issues. It scared me to death and I was frustrated because I could not really get an answer. My surgeon, who I trust tremendously, gave me a quick answer that it was simply my body adjusting to weight from the pregnancy. After a few weeks of some tylenol and heat, the pain eventually subsided. The pain returned towards the end of the second trimester as baby was going through a growth spurt and I had to do the same thing. I lived with a heating pad on me at work! But that too went away and I have felt fine since. I get occasional twinges in my hip if I sit the wrong way, etc. but that is to be expected.

Hubby and I went for my 38 week appointment on Friday and had a very honest conversation with my OB. Baby is measuring larger and there is some concern that there would be issues in the birthing process because of this. When all the factors are calculated I am considered a medium risk for problems so I was given the option of a C-Section. We were told to think about it over the weekend and see how we feel. We are also very concerned about causing any damage to my hip. My pelvis is starting to bother me regularly now, which is common in pregnancy, but can cause hip problems if left untreated too long. My OB also voiced concerned over my hip if I had issues pushing...she would not want me pushing for too long and exerting that kind of force on my pelvic girdle. I did some reading online and hubby and I have opted for the C Section. If anything happened to baby while I had known there was a risk I could never live with myself. And the hip is such an unknown factor- I told my OB that I spent 10 years in pain and have had the best 3 years of my life since my surgery. I don't want to jeopardize that and not be able to care properly for my little one. I'm also worried about birthing with a staff that does not understand a THR- If something happened to my hip mid-delivery I would not have an orthopedist there. The hospital I'm delivering at is a wonderful hospital but also where I had my first surgery prior to my replacement. I was very unhappy with that surgery and the doctor and I'm 95% sure that if something went wrong while delivering, he is the doctor who would be called in. It was a tough decision and I wanted to be the superstar who did it, but I also know that i am making the right decision for myself and my baby.

So tomorrow I have to call and schedule our appointment...sometime this week Baby Shugaplum will be making his entrance into the world! We are very excited and I am still to this day grateful for what I have gone through and what I have in life. Thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout my journey!! The BS community does some amazing things helping each other out and I'm proud to be a part of it.
 
Godbless you Shugaplum and your little one and husband. May your c-section go smoothly and your baby be healthy and strong and a good sleeper, and may your recovery be quick, and your husband be loving and helpful. (((((hugs))))) Keep us posted when you can.
 
My son is seven and I had him via C-Section. This was pre THR and I knew my hip would not handle a regular delivery for all the reasons you stated above. It was the best decision I made. He was healthy and so was I. This way I was sure I could care for him the way I was supposed too. Congrats on the baby and what a way to bring in the new year. Good luck and let us know when baby shugaplum is here.
 
Hey shuga - saw that you posted on another thread. I have been wondering if it was almost time for your youngster to arrive. I agree with all you have said. C-Section means safety for you and your baby.

We are all thrilled for you. Please keep us updated! My guess is that it won't be a New Years baby - but pretty close! How exciting! :happydance:
 
Oh Shuga, I am soooo excited! We want lots and lots of pictures of baby shugaplum, when you get the time, of course! What are you going to call him? I know Richard Warner is really thrilled about it too! God bless you, honey.
 
Shugaplum....I am so very excited for you. This has been quite a journey, but just look at all the rewards for all your hard work! I'm with Jo.....I hope you have LOTS of pictures of little baby shuga. He is loved by people all over the world and he hasn't even made his official entrance yet!!

I agree that your decision for a C-section makes good sense. I think you'll find it works really well for you. I've known a number of people who went this route for various reasons and things went very smoothly. This is YOUR time, hon!!! Please post when you can. We're all thinking about you!!!
 
Fantastic Shugaplum, we are certainly excited for you.

Josephine, Jamie, Jaycey

Justine is having her c-section 31 Dec for her twins! - good luck Justine we are all thinking of you and sending happy baby vibes xx
 
New Year's BoneSmart babies!!!! Life is good!!!
 
Congratulations and good luck with your little bundle. When I had my 1st replacement 20 years ago I was advised not to have any more children so not to damage my new hip. I already had my 2 lovely girls by then so felt my family was complete :kittykiss:
 
How exciting Shugaplum! I agree with the others - the C-section sounds like a very good decision for you. And soon your little boy will be in your arms! I remember the birthing days of my 2 sons vividly - and the complete and utter joy of seeing their dear little faces for the first time. Little boys are such energetic and funny beings - and (so I've been told but I have no daughters to compare) very different from little girls. And while he might not want purple glittery outfits - who knows? He might just love to dance :) :egypdance: I wish you much health and happiness for this New Year and this new adventure in your life! Also congrats to you and your husband on the new jobs!
 
What an exciting time!
Many blessings on you, hubby and your new little baby boy!:yay:
 
Thank you all for the love!! I'm currently waiting to hear back from the doctor with a day and time...anxious but excited! And thank you for the support on this decision. I had gone into all this hoping to go through pregnancy and birth as if I didn't have a bionic joint. I knew it was a concern but I think I avoided really looking at what it meant, so it was strange to have to face it. I forget most of the time that I ever had my hip replaced so it's funny how it has ways of creeping in and reminding me! It's strange to think that while my husband and I just made the decision for the C Section this weekend, I really made that decision 3 and a half years ago! With that said, I have no regrets at all and having to have this surgery is a small price to pay for the wonderful life I have been given through my THR.
 
All the Best Sugarplum. must be such an exiting time for you!
 
Are they going to let your husband into the OR with you? Back in the 1980, when I was a theatre manager, I pioneered that in the UK! It caused quite a bit of a stir in the nursing world but it didn't take long for it to be commonplace - provided the husband/partner was up for it! :wink: I used to love scrubbing for sections!
 
Yes my hubby will be there!! And I think he is more nervous than I am... Although I've been through major surgery before so I'm not as worried! :)
 
:flwrysmile: Goodluck shugaplum!!! I am sure everything will be fine your story has been so inspiring to me personally as i have not had children yet and am very concerned about prosethic during pregnancy. Having said this not sure i could tend to a baby with my current level of pain/immobility anyway..

All the best and cant wait to hear about the wonderful arrival of your precious baby!!
 
Hello all!! Oliver Ian was born on January 4th and is doing well. I'm still at the hospital recovering but this is 10 times easier than learning to walk on a new hip! I will try to get on and post more details once we are all home and settled but wanted to give the update that he is here and we are all doing well!
 
Oh my goodness Shuga - how wonderful! I am so happy for you! Welcome to the world Oliver! :happydance:

Hope you are doing OK. Do keep us updated!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom