TKR ITCHING ON BACK OF CALF 1 YR AFTER TKR

I’m feeling much better with the tramadol/Tylenol combo. No constipation and no nausea. For that I am grateful!

The home PT came yesterday and emphasized that by the time the OS sees me for follow up this Friday he would expect a bend of 90 degrees on the operated knee. She said I should push the heel slide exercise as if the correct bend isn’t achieved scar tissue would form and it’s function would never return to normal.

I’m still sleeping sporadically because I wake up to replace the ice pack every few hours. Thanks for all the support I receive on this board.
 
The home PT came yesterday and emphasized that by the time the OS sees me for follow up this Friday he would expect a bend of 90 degrees on the operated knee
This may or may not be true. We’ve had other members who were told this, went to their appointment before reaching 90 and their surgeon was happy with their knee.

And even if he does expect it, your knee is on its own healing journey and will come along fine, given time. Don’t fear “the window of opportunity” because it doesn’t exist. My ROM is still improving at 2.5 years post op.

She said I should push the heel slide exercise as if the correct bend isn’t achieved scar tissue would form and it’s function would never return to normal.
I am amazed the anyone in the medical field would tell a patient this. As Celle is fond of saying, “scar tissue” is not just sitting there waiting to pounce if you don’t exercise enough. The opposite is more likely, pushing hot inflamed tissue to over exercise is the best way to cause an adhesion. (notice I did not call this scar tissue. There’s a big difference.)

Please don’t push anything. You will progress better if you treat your knee gently and patiently let it heal.


It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
@Jockette

I was interested. In your response to the PT’s remark. That’s why I posted. What you say makes so much sense. Thank you!
 
I really hate the "doc expects 90 degrees" scare talk. Just focus on ice, elevation and common sense with gentle exercise/daily activities and the bend should come for you.

Good to see the tummy issues are settling down for you.
 
Had another awful night despite rave reviews from home PT. Actually went outside for first time post surgery (down and up 21 steps). This is the last week I can afford to have my care giver (excellent) 7 days a week for 2 hrs per day.
This created anxiety in me and that translates into a roaring flair of my IBS (irritable bowel). Tried meditation and deep breathing; eventually stomach issues abated about 4 am so I slept for about 4 hrs.
Today having a very bland diet.
So appreciate my fellow bone smarties being able to chart this post-surgery saga with me.
 
@Hoppy Nanny
So nice to hear from you!
Orthopedically I’m doing fine. The scar is almost healed and I’m massaging the “disorganized tissues”(as my doctor refers to them) many times a day. I have great range of motion and little to no pain. I do feel tired and must rest between doing my chores now that my nurse is no longer with me.

My issues have to do with a lot of stiffness/pain in GOOD LEG. I discussed with OS prior to surgery and he took X-Rays of good leg. Said little to no arthritis and supporting structures in good shape. He said strain and overuse of good leg should diminish when benefits of new knee take hold. As of now I’m icing BOTH KNEES and using about 2,000 mg of Tylenol at night.

Also my IBS (irritable bowel) symptoms vary from day to day. I went to 1 session of out-of-home PT and they worked me hard (including bike) for an hour. Despite PT RAVE REVIEWS at my progress I was very tired and sore after session. My stomach was very upset and I had to deal with bleeding hemorrhoids that evening (very unusual but obviously caused by sitting on that hard bike seat for 10 minutes!!!)

I then requested being switched back to in-home PT that is more more gentle. I live alone in an apt that requires me going up 21 stairs to get out so that’s what we’ll be working on starting tomorrow.

So, that’s about it for me. Please let me know how YOU’RE doing!!
 
So glad to hear you are doing so well with the knee.... So agree on the home PT... sounds like a good plan if it’s causing other problems...
Im doing ok... going into 5th week... walking ok... stiff still... went out for meal yesterday & all good... had a little blip at weekend with pain but eased off now... take care & take it easy on PT.. xxx
 
My operated knee is doing fine 6 weeks post op. However, my GOOD knee has faltered terribly!

The stiffness was severe in the good leg and OS gave me a cortisone injection that relieved pain almost immediately. Can’t say how effective shot was long-term as surgery was 5 days later.

Post surgery good leg seemed manageable until last Friday when I went in for a post-op appt with my OS. I was in terrible pain again on good knee. More X-rays taken but nothing conclusive seen. Now OS ordered an MRI. The soonest I could get it done is 12/5. He prescribed an NSAID but I became so constipated I chose to continue with only Tylenol at night that seems to work better with my gut issues. Of course I am icing. Very difficult to get around and enjoy the good results of my surgery but I’m trying to remain positive.

in the back of my mind I’m wondering if another new knee is in my future
 
My old knee got much worse as I was recovering from my tkr on my new knee. I found that as my new knee started taking on more of my weight, my old knee's pain lessened. Then, when I broke the tkr leg's ankle and foot the old knee really made me suffer. Now, that I'm back on two legs again, the old knee isn't that bad.

I bet your old knee will improve as your new knee gets stronger and takes on more 'work'.
 
@sistersinhim
oh, I hope your theory is correct.
In the meantime, I had a good night’s sleep and will keep preparing for my Thanksgiving meal as best I can. I love to cook and celebrate the Holiday so that will hopefully give me some positive energy to get through this difficult time!
 
I had a good night’s sleep and will keep preparing for my Thanksgiving meal as best I can. I love to cook and celebrate the Holiday so that will hopefully give me some positive energy to get through this difficult time!
Yay on a good night's sleep! Don't forget to stop and rest as often as you can so you can better enjoy this Thanksgiving.
 
@pdlinda
I’m having the same with my good knee... it’s throwing tantrums as if it doesn’t want to be forgotten... I’m hoping once my gait improves all will be well! Hope yours is the same.

I’ve been driving myself around... so nice to be independent but still get weary if I overdo it!
 
@Hoppy Nanny
It sure is good to know I’m not alone. How are you treating the pain? At this point my pain varies and is difficult, but not unmanageable so I’m not taking anything during the day.

Throughout the night I take Tylenol as needed.
 
Same here with pain meds... just take them when I go to bed... paracetamol only ... and then ad hoc if I have breakthrough pain ...
mainly the knee is just stiffness rather than pain... i’ve got my 6 week check with surgeon on Thursday night... hope all ok then.

Don’t know about you but I mostly feel back to normal apart from stiffness but it lets me know if I overdo it & take liberties.
 
I’ll have some answers about the gimpy “good leg” after the MRI.

Other than that “nagging” pain that is borderline manageable because, like you, I’ve resumed a normal routine (running my household all by myself) I think the operated leg is doing great. And, yes, right now late afternoon, am really very tired and will rest!,
 
I got the results of the MRI today ( they were able to schedule yesterday). There is arthritis in the knee that wasn’t apparent on any X-Ray plus 2 small meniscus tears.

The OS suggested a Gel injection that has to be approved by the insurance company. If I choose to take a cortisone shot I can get that done this Friday. I hesitate to take cortisone shot as I know it has negative side effects; however if the insurance approval for the hylauronic acid (gel shot) takes too long I might have to resort to it as my pain is quite debilitating and I can only use Tylenol, not any anti-inflammatory because of my IBS condition.

i asked about probability that the left knee would have to also be replaced and OS demurred as he said there are other things we have to try first. I hope I can give the new right knee a year to heal before having another replacement. My belief is that I will need the new left knee and am resigned to that inevitability.
 
I think the insurance companies make you go through several things before approving a joint replacement. It seems to me, if a replacement is definite in the future, they'd go ahead and do it and save money in the long run.
 
Back
Top Bottom