TKR IT band syndrome

Interesting. Maybe he’s gotten more aggressive. I think you would remember if he hurt you like this before. (I certainly remember my PT hurting me and I hadn’t found Bonesmart yet and thought that’s how PT had to be.)

Or maybe be your other knee needed less done to it in surgery and handled it better.

I’ll be canceling my appointments with him.
Thanks goodness! This guy will only lead you down the wrong path. The "easy does it" approach works every time. Glad you will be saying no to this painful PT.

I’ve made an appointment with another PT place. My first questions will be their approach for knee replacement therapy. My first appointment is Friday morning.

Reactions: pdx
Did you ask that question on the phone today? It would be a shame to go and pay for an appointment only to find out that they have the same protocol as the one you have now.

Good call. I’m happy you are taking charge :yes!: good luck and let us know how it goes . We are supporting you all the way

@NavyGunns had a good conversation with his PT when he started and let them know how he wanted it to go.

I’ve made an appointment with another PT place. My first questions will be their approach for knee replacement therapy. My first appointment is Friday morning.
Thank God you're changing PT places. But, you could still be stuck with another bully. These old-fashioned therapists haven't been trained in the recent way to rehab a replaced joint. It is your knee and it is the boss. If it says it hurts, don't do it. You are the boss of your surgeon and your therapist. They work for you and what you say they have to do. You are paying them, not the other way around.

Please be very gentle with that infant knee of yours. It isn't lazy or out of shape. It has a traumatic injury that has to heal. Would you aggressively exercise a broken leg? Of course not, that's why they put it in a cast. Well your knee has two broken bones that have to heal, not to mention all those layers of soft tissues that have been cut and sown back together. Watch a live YouTube video of a knee replacement. You'll see why it takes a year or more to totally heal from this surgery.

@Iloveemma, changing PT clinics is the right thing to do. Here are some things to keep in mind when you visit for the first time. This is what I did at my first visit:
- You are the Boss! You are the customer! You pay their salary either directly if you pay out of pocket or through your insurance, either way, you are in charge!
- This is your knee, your recovery. You establish the goals and objectives. It’s the therapist’s job to help you progress towards them but in a way that does NOT cause pain.
- Your first discussion with your therapist must start with expressing your expectations. I told my therapist, in a very direct and assertive manner, that I did not want any forced manipulation of my knee, I expected my pt sessions to focus on helping reduce swelling and promote healing first and then focus on gentle stretching to aid flexibility.
- Once we’ll on that road, we slowly progressed to activities that helped to get my muscles better engaged to aid balance and walking gait. At no time did these activities focus on strengthening as that would happen months down the road.
- When I was done, I asked my therapist if he could comply with my requests and if no, I wanted someone else or would go somewhere else.

All went well and I feel I had a very successful pt experience. It also helped that I had a similar discussion with my OS before I started PT.

Another thing he was to have me stand up from a sitting position, arms crossed and stand up and sit down 30 times. I guess we started strengthening exercises.

NO NO NO NO!!! That guy is unbelievable!!! I agree, shooting him might be better (then at least he couldn’t do it to anyone else), but sometimes we have to settle for second best.

Hi im Debbie and had a left TKR January 25th. My left foot was extremely swollen first photo was in the hospital. This picture was from the hospital and the photo below was from today. Any advice!!
I know ice and elevation.

emma 1-horz.jpg

@Iloveemma you'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I was debating that. Sorry. !!!

I had my Left knee replacement surgery done January 27th. I finished up PT. My flexion then was 110 and extension was +10. Which I don’t consider very good. I’ve been heel slides, exercises to increase the flexion. So I don’t know if I’ve improved. I still have soreness behind my knee and soreness on the inside of the knee just below the kneecap. I’m still using a cane. I can’t walk too far before I need it again. And don’t even ask about going down the stairs...it feels like my knee is going to buckle. I’m going to Italy in September and need to be able without a cane.
I’ve started going to the gym and doing 15 minutes on treadmill and 15 minutes on the recumbent bike.
I’m going to my OS today to have him look at my knee.
I had the other knee done 4/2017 and PT went fine.
I want to know what my flexion is now and to see if it has improved.

@Iloveemma you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread. Please do not start a new thread to update or ask questions. Keep the information here.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Please remember that PT works FOR YOU! Some like to act like they are in charge. They aren’t. You are! I had one like that a few years ago when I had an Achilles’ tendon injury. Fired his butt quickly and went to another lovely man who made it clear from day one that I was the boss and that while you want to push yourself a bit, pushing through significant pain is never a good idea. Better folks are out there.

In this year long (on average) recovery you are still not quite halfway through it. You will continue to improve.

This knee may have been in a different condition than your first knee and needed some different work done during surgery, which could explain the different recovery.

Stairs can take a very long time to do again and it takes healing to be able to do stairs.

I couldn’t walk for long yet at your stage, either, but I can now. It just took time to heal.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Josephine I’m willing to answer your questions.
What do you need to do to be able going downstairs and for the limping to go away..??
Will increasing knee flexion help the limping go away?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jbrmoto
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom