Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

@Meme273
I am so sorry you had to go through this too!!! I hope your knee turns a corner soon and settles down. I had major hamstring issues in this leg during the first knee replacement. I worked really hard to overcome them, and then the infection happened. The spacer doesn’t bother my hamstrings at all, but I’m stretching the heck out of my right leg now because I don’t want it to happen again when they put my new knee in.

How long did the whole process take from when they diagnosed your infection to your December 28th final surgery date?
 
Last edited:
What tough times you and @Meme273 are having. You're right when you say you have no control over the healing process, other than doing the right thing to stay healthy and trying not to overdo it. Your health has to take priority over your job right now. Hopefully the surgeons will appreciate your dilemma about returning to teaching and provide the appropriate documents. Best wishes to you.:angel:
 
@Mrs. Ciz
My first surgery was 3/9/2020, I&D done 05/19, then took months and finding a new Dr to discover the infection was still there, then spacer on 10/15 with pics line 6 weeks then final surgery on 12/28 and now muscles are not cooperating and losing ROM, but Dr said not to worry as muscles are very sore and need time to heal! So very optimistic that recovery is on the way.
 
@Mrs. Ciz
My first surgery was 3/9/2020, I&D done 05/19, then took months and finding a new Dr to discover the infection was still there, then spacer on 10/15 with pics line 6 weeks then final surgery on 12/28 and now muscles are not cooperating and losing ROM, but Dr said not to worry as muscles are very sore and need time to heal! So very optimistic that recovery is on the way.
I hope your muscles start to cooperate and you recovery fully this time!!! Thank you for sharing your time line. I’m hoping I’ll be able to get my last new knee 3 months ish from the spacer date. I wasn’t sure if this was a realistic time line or not. But based on your case, it just might be!
 
I have an update:

I have 2 more IV antibiotic infusions left - today and tomorrow. I get my picc line removed on Friday! Then the waiting period starts. Wish me luck!!

Both my surgeon and my school want me to stay home from work during the waiting period and not come back until I’m recovered from the final knee replacement. The HR person at school said coming back before everything was done would mess up my short term disability. I’d have to restart the disability waiting period all over again if/when I had to leave work again. And since I will have used up all my sick leave, I’d be 100% without pay. If I stay out until I’ve recovered from the final knee surgery, then I get 60% pay after my sick leave is gone. So I’m home for the duration.
 
How is the waiting going?
I just had a follow up appointment with my surgeon today. He took fluid from my knee to culture and sent me to Labcorp for bloodwork. If the bloodwork and culture come back clean, I get to schedule my final replacement surgery!!! The culture takes 5 days to grow, so I should know something next week. I can’t wait!!!
 
Thanks for letting us know. Now, keeping your fingers & toes crossed that all is good so surgery can be in your rearview mirror.
 
Hope everything comes back clean and you can move on to the next stage,
Keep us posted on the results next week.
 
Wishing you the best for a good results from blood work and culture. I'm happy that you were advised by your surgeon and HR to stay home until after you've recovered from final knee surgery.:flwrysmile:
 
I have some terrific news and some so so news. First the terrific news - I found out on Friday that my bloodwork is perfect and my culture is clean! Wooohooo!!!! All signs of the infection are gone. Praise God! I get to schedule my final surgery!

The so so news - On Monday I found out my surgeon is fully booked until July 5th. That’s the first date I could get. I am pretty bummed I have to wait that long. I’ve asked to be put on the cancellation list, so I can move my surgery date up if any other patients drop out. Usually it’s a 6 to 8 week recovery. Six weeks after July 5th puts me right at Teacher Work Week, so I should be ok to return to work in August especially since it’s only one knee, not two like last time.

I’ll keep you posted.

ETA: Surgeon’s office just called and moved my surgery up a week to June 28th!
 
Last edited:
Good luck. Check in when you feel up to it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom