Incision puffed up on bottom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine

graduate
I noticed the last couple of days at the bottom of my incison I felt a lump but had to look in the mirror to see it. It was red and puffy and it was sore.
I took a very hot shower trying to relax and after my daughter looked at my leg and said it is draining mom, looks like a stitch in there didn't disolve and has no place to go.
She cleaned it off put some ointment on they use where she works and I started praying that was all it was.
Today I saw my Doc and guess what my daughter was right. He had to open it up more on the bottom and found three stitches and he was not to pleased with whomever closed me up.
Josephine who does a close up like that? I should have asked him but he was annoyed by then.

He did tell me I could drive if I needed to because now I will be alone again but better to wait three more weeks for it to be all grown over strong. It made me happy.

Hi, Sunshine, I'm on here right now too. I had my THR 5 weeks ago, but 3 years ago I had to have open heart surgery and after I returned home, my incision going right down my chest opened up right in between my breasts. It was so weird; it was like a little hollow hole right into my insides. I freaked out and called up to Mayo Clinic to talk to my doc. I said um, I can see right into my chest through a little hole that opened up, and she said, don't worry, it will close up on its own. Sure enough, it eventually closed by itself. Fascinating, huh?
Bridget

I doubt the surgeon himself would close wounds. He'd be off in the next theatre doing the next patient. So that's what they have PA's for. Don't know why he was cross, though, Bet he's had it happen to him a time or two! Just one of those things that occurs. Murphy's law and all that.

But please tell your daughter - NO OINTMENT on such a wound! It's unlikely it would be a sterile preparation and so becomes a hazard itself. Best thing to do is to wash it with clean water, dry it and cover it with a sterile dressings - Melolin is best, get it from a Pharmacy. Just keep it dry and covered.

I doubt the surgeon himself would close wounds. He'd be off in the next theatre doing the next patient. So that's what they have PA's for. Don't know why he was cross, though, Bet he's had it happen to him a time or two! Just one of those things that occurs. Murphy's law and all that.

But please tell your daughter - NO OINTMENT on such a wound! It's unlikely it would be a sterile preparation and so becomes a hazard itself. Best thing to do is to wash it with clean water, dry it and cover it with a sterile dressings - Melolin is best, get it from a Pharmacy. Just keep it dry and covered.

I've been luck so far without any discharge, but my Doctor also said "no ointment" if it occurred. Just clean and dry and apply sterile dressing.

I had a clear yellow discharge from a pinprick hole about an inch from the incision, for 10 days after surgery, and my OS perscribed 2 more oral antibiotics, "just in case". It has since stopped, and there is no redness or streaking, and the bruises have disappeared too, but is still tender to the touch. He also "cut" or removed one stitch only, (looks like clear fishing line), and I said "that's it?" He replied "Yep, that's it! The rest will dissolve." I haven't had any other problems with the wound, (about 9 inches long vertical on my left buttock), except it's uncomfortable to sit on in a recliner, and I still clean it a couple of times a day with just an antiseptic baby wipe.
~Dalton

I've been luck so far without any discharge, but my Doctor also said "no ointment" if it occurred. Just clean and dry and apply sterile dressing.

Nice to know I have medical concurrence!

Jim also complained last night that the very top of his incision was puffy, red and sore. I looked and didn't think it looked any different than the rest of the incision. So he thought maybe it had been from his jeans rubbing on it. But he had also wondered about putting just a dab of Neosporin on it. I told him, "no", that I didn't think it would be a good idea without doctors permission. Glad my instincts were good about that. After his shower I checked again and to me it looks fine and there hasn't been any discharge. So I'll keep an eye on it and unless something does pop up, I'll run it by the OS in 2 weeks.

I think I've had the incision to beat all incisions. The reason I am having joints replaced today was that I was hit my a drunk driver 20 years ago. Besides all the crushed bones that I suffered, I also had internal injuries. I was opened up in an emergency and because of it, the doctors did not want to stitch the incision back up in case there was an infection to later be attended to. The incision starts at about the rib line and goes straight down, about 14 inches. It was kept covered with what is a called a wet to dry bandage. Wet 4x4s were placed on the inside of the incision with dry bandages on the outside. It took about 3 months to heal up and I ended up with a scar straight down the middle of my stomach about 2 inches wide. I lived with this scar that was very very painful around the belly button for 10 years before I finally had a surgeon revise it to look like a regular scar. I was originally in the hospital for 6 weeks and my husband continued the bandage changes after coming home. I could put this one over on the other thread talking about great husbands.... Karen

Karen,

YIKES!!! Your post reminds us all to remember, no matter how much you hurt, no matter how much you think you've gotten a raw deal, or how much you feel sorry about your situation, someone ALWAYS HAS HAD IT WORSE!
~Dalton

This was just the tip of the iceberg for me from this car accident. My left hip was crushed and I have a two foot scar there and I had a compound fracture of the tibia on the right side with some rather lengthy scars there too. I'm a kneebie on here but will have to have that hip replaced in the not too distant future. Two knees down and a hip and ankle to go......

And you know what? There are many people that are worse off then me! I know..... Surviving this accident and going through 12 surgeries, so far, is much much better then the alternative.

Karen,

WOW! You have had your trials! I'll keep you in my prayers that they get you all fixed up sooner than later. Cause with your outlook, your very much needed in this world.
hug2.gif

Thank you MsCat, the leg is ok just have to wait again to go in the water. I am not always so positive about everything to be honest. But all this did turn out pretty great from some of the fears I had. I think many people here helped me with their kind words too. But thanks again for your prayers and thoughts.

Karen,

I've worn many dangerous and ego boosting hats, including commercial deep sea diver, bounty hunter, Airborne Ranger, EMT, and Deputy Sheriff, but you are more of a brave "Trooper" than I'll ever be... If I had to go through what you've had to, I'd have been an angry, distant, miserable, cranky jerk! I salute you Girl! Keep that great attitude, and you'll continue to inspire us all!

~Dalton

Thanks Dalton and MsKat, You know, you just learn to deal with what comes your way and my plate has been really really full...... I had a lot of initial operations to recover from my car accident and then went on to live my life semi normal. I usually walk without a limp though the muscles around my hip were damaged and I'll start to limp after about a block and my leg kind of drags a little. Now, the past three years or so, I've started falling apart again from the initial issues, not walking right, that sort of thing... and I'm trying to work my way through several joint replacements now. I call this round two. I am 47 now and expect I'll have to go through a round three in my senior years but I'm just trying to get through this right now and not think about that. You would never know I had any issues to look at me unless, of course, if I am wearing shorts or a swimsuit.

You can't live your life angry or you would just be a very bitter, not so nice person. I can't say I've ever forgiven the person that changed my life around but I've definitely not dwelled on it. (Except for times like this) I do often wonder how her life has turned out and wonder if she has any regrets. She was sentenced to a whopping 7 months in jail and charged with a felony DUI with great bodily harm. Dalton, since you were a sheriff, I imagine you've seen a few major accidents like this in your time?

We're all going through a lot right now otherwise we wouldn't be here on this forum. I'm no different then anyone else, just dealing with what comes my way...... Karen

KAREN,
HAVE ONE OF MY GOOD HIGHSCHOOL FRIENDS THAT WAS IN A HORRIFIC ACCIDENT IN THE EARLY 80'S. SHE WAS HIT BY A DRUNK DRIVER....SADLY TO SAY, SHE NEVER MARRIED. WHEN I HEARD YOUR STORY, IT REMINDED ME OF MARCIA. SHE JUST TURNED 50 AND IS AN EXCELLENT SCHOOL TEACHER. I ALWAYS HOPED SHE WOULD FIND MR. RIGHT AND HAVE CHILDREN BUT SHE NEVER DID...THE ACCIDENT CONSUMED HER LIFE IN SO MANY WAYS, PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY.....I AM GLAD YOU HAVE A GREAT HUSBAND....I TOO AM LUCKY TO HAVE MINE....patty

Your story reminded me of the awful night that my friend was in a drunk driving accident in my senior high school year (1989). He had just dropped me off at my house and as I was fumbling with my door key, I heard the crash at my corner. I ran down there as fast as I could and saw my friend laying on the street. There were actually two cars (both drunk drivers) and from my school and our rival school. My friend was the only one who died that night, but I know that several people between the two cars are still very messed up from that night. So sad!! I get so worried about my own children.
Bridget

Karen,

Yes, it's a shame, but I see this type thing so often. I know of about 7 incidents in the last year alone in our small county in Mississippi in particular, where drunk drivers killed an innocent person(s), and one of those recently involved the death of a fellow Deputy's Grandmother. (She was instantly killed by a drunk driver). Although common ideals are changing, so many people don't realize what a huge risk and moral offense it is to drink and drive. One simple mistake can change the lives of so many so drastically, and FOREVER! We've cracked down on DUI's in the last 10 years, and now, in the state of MS at least, your 3rd DUI is a felony punishable by 5-7 years in prison. (and that's just basic DUI's, that statute doesn't include 'leaving the scene with injuries or death', which can carry Life in prison).
~Dalton

I do have a good husband. He sure isn't perfect but who is..... he's sure been there for me more times then I can count. When I was initially in the hospital, I was in traction and when I say traction, I mean a metal rod was put through my leg just above my knee that stuck out of both sides and it was used to hold my leg up....Okay did I make anyone sick? I could not get out of bed the entire 6 weeks I was there. Our daughters were 3 and 5 at the time and my husband had to take care of them and drive the 20 miles each way everyday to see me. Of course I had a cathater the whole time but also had two bed pans. One for the obvious and the other for my hair and bathing. He would come to the hospital and wash my hair in the bed pan, bath me and wipe my you know what after using the other bed pan.

My husband had just finished Marine Drill Instructor school in California at the time and was supposed to be teaching young men how to be Marines and instead, he was given a humanitarian tranfer back to Florida, where I was still living (hadn't sold the house yet) to take care of me. I came home in a reclining wheelchair and he continued to take care of me for several months until we sold our house, yes in the middle of all this. We moved to California and he started his drill instructer duty when I was able to travel 8 months later. Of course there was a whole lot more to the story and I could go on and on which I kind of am........So, yes, my husband should get husband of the year or something for dealing with all my stuff....I don't think he realizes how much I appreciate him. I should go tell him, huh? I don't think he wants me to wake him up about now though. :D)

Like your friend Patty, I kind of think going through all this makes you a stronger person though I think I would rather have skipped this life experience! Sorry about the big dump here.....Karen

I was driving a Suzuki Samuri, New Years morning, 1988. I was going through an intersection and the drunk driver went through the red light at about 50-55 mph. She hit right where I was driving (T-bone) and we flipped sideways and landed back upright. My husand and I were wearing our seatbelts and our friend Tommy was in the back. My husband came out of it with a twisted knee but was okay and Tommy flew out the back. This was a jeep type of vehicle and the back was rolled up. He hurt his back but was okay, thankfully.

I dont remember any of it but have pictures of the car.

Thought I would share this one about my mother and yes, she was lucky but the story is hilarious.
She owned a big huge Cadillac back in the 70's. Fleetwood, a goldish color. She had just gotten my 6'7' brother Johnny's Barbeque at lunch and was taking it back home which was across town. She went through an intersection (green light, of course and bam...She was hit on the backend passenger side. She said she must have gotten knocked out for a minute but when she came to, she immediately saw her Wig on the ground of the car. She never checked to see if she was injured and certainly did not look up until she shook the glass out of the Wig and stuck it back on her head.
The driver was of course plastered with beer cans rolling out of his car. He was arrested and taken to jail. She was taken to the hospital as a precaution with minor injuries and yes, back then she had the policeman radio our house so that my brother would have his barbeque(all intact). And, yes he came and got it as it was on the way to the hospital.
Hope that put a SMILE on everyone's face. We were lucky that this was a good outcome...Wig....Barbeque....and alll....Patty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member