THR Icing

I have been struggling with muscle/joint pain recently which I never had before the surgery.
That is completely normal so early in your recovery. You're not yet 3 months into a year-long recovery and your body is still recovering from the trauma of surgery and adapting to the new gait you have since your surgery.

I have read that even MOP (metal on polyethylene) can cause metal ions in the bloodstream which in turn can lead to health problems. Especially with cobalt/chrome heads
Even with metal on metal implants the incidence of metallosis was less than 10%, which means that more than 90% of people had no problem at all.
The incidence with metal on plastic is much lower than 10%, so it is extremely rare.

Instead of worrying yourself about something that is unlikely to happen, try to think more about being able to do again all the things that your bad hip has prevented you from doing.

@Celle I don’t mean to be negative but my whole body is aching, all my joints. Maybe a reaction to all the stress from the surgery? Lack of sleep? I am seeing a doctor tomorrow and hoping for some answers.

my whole body is aching, all my joints. Maybe a reaction to all the stress from the surgery? Lack of sleep?
Probably a combination of both. Try and relax and focus on the positives that will come as Celle suggested. It's good your are seeing someone. Hope at a minimum they can ease your mind.

I agree that the implant makeup is not likely to be the cause of your joint pain. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it would take a longer period of time to manifest than a few months if there were any issue with this.

The Immune system kicks into overdrive often after major surgery...lack of sleep and uncommon positions cause aches...for me just having to lie about more than usual and ice and elevate made me stiff and sore.
I know having an implant can cause one to wonder...especially since older implant problems have led to an onslaught of media discussion.
Lots of other things can cause joint pain so you don't want to be googling too much...I think as you get further on in recovery and able to become more active, you will find alot of these aches and pains will slide away.
Mine did.:tada:

Hi @Melina
I hope you receive the reassurance you're seeking when you meet with your doctor today. As others have mentioned and I agree, much of your achiness may be due to your body reacting to the "controlled" trauma of surgery. Your body could be achy due to inadequate sleep, or adjusting to differing sleep positions you're unaccustomed to and find uncomfortable. We hear this often on the forum. Constantly waking and shifting in an effort to get comfortable does not allow for the restorative rest we need, but it eventually settles.

As your gait is once again changing, it could cause temporary aches in your knees, or in your non op hip. Your body is doing a lot of readjusting. Your arms or shoulders could ache due to the weight you're putting on an assistive device, if you're still using one occasionally. If you tend to be an anxious type normally, it's easy to stress out ruminating over all the "what ifs" that can creep into our thoughts during early recovery. You may want to weigh out reading material that you feel could upset you, or have you thinking in a negative way. At least that works for me.

Let us know how your visit with your doctor goes today. Safe travels there and back...hope to hear from you soon! :)

Hi again...just want to add something.
I truly sympathize with your anxiety over odd sensations, minor discomfort and new pain. Most often one concern is quickly replaced by another. Staying as active as you're able and occupying your mind may help you relax more in these early months, if you're finding difficulty in doing so.

A few suggestions to keep your mind engaged: crossword puzzles, regular puzzles, adult coloring books, read a good book, research and plan your next vacation, Pinterest, Houzz...if you have any interest in perusing homes / decor, start a recipe collection, play online games, page through magazines, call an old friend, catch up on emails, organize a photo album, watch a Netflix series or movies on the Hallmark channel (my current addiction) always light and uplifting.

Also, check out the BoneSmart Social Room here where you'll find a lot of interesting and entertaining threads to read -

https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/social-room.11/

Hope this helps in the days to come! :)

Thanks to everyone for supporting me. I also have been struggling with MS for the last 30 years so I am used to quite severe symptoms, but the MS is under control. The symptoms of joint pain I am having now are new and widespread. Two of my fingers are swollen. Feels like something is going on in my body, some kind of inflammation. I will let you know

I'm sorry, Melina. Struggling with MS for 30 yrs is enough in itself. I hope you get answers today and start noticing some relief soon. :console2:
@Melina

Hi! I hope you all have a nice Sunday. I have found out that the widespread pain I experienced was probably due to lack of sleep. It has become better after I have been able to get in bed early and have uninterrupted sleep for some nights. Still some new symptoms have come along, severe pain outside my knee on the operated leg. I suspect it to be my IT-band being irritated? If I walk or stand on my leg I get burning/warm sensations radiating down my thigh to my knee. Any suggestions? How do I balance activity and rest? Right now I am resting a lot because of very little energy and pain, but feel like I have to be more active and not so passive. Guess I have to exercise my patience muscle some more.... :)

How do I balance activity and rest? Right now I am resting a lot because of very little energy and pain, but feel like I have to be more active and not so passive.
Energy drain!

It's real and you can't fight it. Rest, rest and more rest. This will soon ease. No need to push activity.

So glad to read that some of your issues was related to lack of sleep. Boy, we all can relate to that one! I grabbed naps whenever and wherever I could. Even a short ten minute snooze helped me a lot
The lateral knee discomfort sounds pretty typical too and the description you gave certainly does sound like an irritated IT Band.

Glad you are resting, it's the best thing for you and your body right now. :ice::sleep:

@CricketHip Thanks! I have been into a little despair lately wondering if all these symptoms, aches and pains will ever go away. I am 12 weeks post-op and hoped to be in better shape than I am. Also having a bit more swelling lately even though I am resting almost all day long. I know we are all different but still. I don’t want to worry too much but I do, I really hope for some improvement soon.

Hi Melina,
Try not to worry, sweetie. I understand it’s easier said than done but you’re healing from a major surgery and there was a lot done to replace that hip. It takes our body time to heal from all of that trauma. When you think about how long you’ll have the implant, 12 weeks post op is not all that far along in a recovery process that can take up to a full year and even longer for some.

You’re tired because your body is using energy to heal first, not leaving much for all of the other activities of daily living. Sleep when you’re tired, it’s healing. Also continue to ice and elevate for pain and swelling. Go back to the articles in the Recovery Guidelines on ICE and ELEVATE.
Slowly but surely you’ll get there.
Hugs to you!

@Layla Thank you for your support. It really calms me down talking to all of you «experienced hipsters». All my love to you :)

You‘re welcome, Melina. We’re here for you and we care so stop by whenever you feel the need, or just to say Hi. Lights never go out here.
A lovely week to you...hugs. :friends:
@Melina

It's understandable that you would worry. You've had a condition that has been in the back of your mind for many years. We all felt so vulnerable during our THR recoveries. Especially since there aren't any set timelines.. we all heal differently.
A favorite saying on this forum is that no 2 hips are alike, not even on the same person, which I found to be the case for me, too.

I hope you had a nice day today and wishing you a super good night's sleep.

Hi @Melina
Happy Friday.:flwrysmile:
I hope you are feeling that things are improving and keeping the faith.
Four months out was when most of my recovery niggles finally started subsiding.
Wishing you a great weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JWS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom