TKR Ice machine sizes

Abbylayla

senior
Country
United States United States
I recently purchased a Polar Active Ice Cold Therapy System for my upcoming TKR.
I chose the 9 quart but there was also a 15 quart option.
Does anyone have any experience w these? Will 9q be sufficient pr should I have gone w 15q?

Thank you!

@Abbylayla You will notice I moved your thread to the knee pre-op area. You will get more input from our members here.

Do you have your new surgery date yet?

After looking at both sizes on the polar site, I see the 9 qt is small and meant for ankles and feet, whereas the 15 qt is meant for knees and joints. My personal opinion is the 15 qt, as it has a larger capacity, thus will hold more ice bottles, which means colder water, plus a longer cooling time. You need a machine that will cool your knee, comes with either a knee pad, or a universal pad, not a foot or ankle pad. My suggestion is to call the polar company and speak to a rep. about both and get their input.

Thanks Jaycee. Yes, my new date is 8/5

lovetosewandcook I called them & decided to go w the larger unit as the 9 quart only lasts 6 hours & that could be an issue overnight. They were very helpful & so were you.
Thank you again

@Abbylayla regarding ice machine, you may check first as I had two knees replaced and the hospital provided an ice machine each time. Of course I’m sure it is somewhere in my bill, but it was convenient. Mine holds 4 bottles of frozen water which I change out two or three times a day. I ad water and some ice cubes. I love my ice machine!

Thanks Honey007. Unfortunately my Hospital doesn't provide it. But I'm sending back the 9qt and ordering the 15. I called the company & they said I could probably get 6 hours between changes. But considering I have bad arthritis in both knees, hips & shoulders....I have to depend on my spouse for a lot. So larger capacity will be better.

Thank you so much for your advice. I hope your done w replacements & enjoying a pain free life!

@Abbylayla Yes you are probably right it is as bit of a hassle luging it back and forth to refill! I could not tell if you had yours done yet or are having it in Aug. Either way i wish you well and speedy healing!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Abbylayla Just wanted to pass on something I did with my Ice machine that has helped a lot! I purchased a small aquarium water pump. I purchased it from Amazon. When I need to drain water, instead of lugging the Ice machine to the sink. I place the water pump in the reservoir turn on the power and pump the water into a container. When it is down to the level I want it, I remove the pump and let it drain. Then I can take the water to the sink. I don't have to move the Ice machine. I think the pump was less than $20.00 It was the smallest one I could find. It has made water removal very easy! I have been through over 200 Lbs. at this point.

Hope your surgery and recovery goes well!
Rick

Rick951 lmao! I love this! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing it. I actually have to pay a visit to the fish store to get supplies for my tank and I will pick up a pump.
Thank you again!

@Abbylayla FYI Get the smallest pump you can find. I also have it on it's own switch / power strip. That way I don't have to mess around with plugging it into the wall. Just turn the switch on and off.

Awesome! Great advice. Thank you again!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom