I Think I'm Ready But

Status
Not open for further replies.

limpy7

Four years ago my OS said I was ready to have my right knee replaced. I was ready. He told me he would like me to lose 50 pounds. I tried. I hurt and I can't exercise and I still have the 50 pounds plus 10 more. Meanwhile my right hip started to really hurt. I found a new OS and he said both my right knee and right hip were ready to be replaced and my weight would not be a problem. He wanted to try cortisone in my knee with fluoroscopy in part to rule out referred pain from my hip. I had previously had cortisone several times four years prior but it eventually didn't work. Anyway, I went for the cortisone with fluoroscopy. The first injection had a numbing agent in it and when they were done putting the cortisone in, I had no pain in my knee. The OS said it proved the pain was in my knee, and it did make my knee feel better for about a week but now my knee is going back to the way it felt before. Meanwhile, my hip REALLY started to hurt. Next week I go back and they are going to try cortisone in my hip which I've never had. What is bothering me is his PA mentioned injections to replace synovial fluid. Here's the deal. I teach school. If I'm going to do this I need to do it this summer or I will have to wait until a year from now. The OS said I would be cutting it close to start school in September, but it really doesn't matter because I can start late and just use sick leave. I would want to be back in September to keep my insurance though. What I want to know is, do I have to try the synovial fluid replacement? My knee is shot. What's the point? I know the new OS was able to get the records from the old OS, so that should support the need for the replacement really well. I know the doctor will answer this question next week, but I'm just getting antsy and anxious.

The doctor will do what you want him to do.

Now how your insurance handles it may be another matter. Some insurance companies want you to try all conservative methods like the injections first before covering a TKR. So give your insurance company a call tomorrow and find out what their policy is when you have been told by your previous doctor that you need a knee replacement. I'm betting you can go straight for the TKR. Insurance companies seem to be getting a little wiser that all those injections merely delay the inevitiable (and they are expensive!). Be assertive no matter what you are told and I bet you can get it done this summer. Let us know how things go!!

I had to go through the regiment of the cortisone and then the SynVisc---they wanted me to do the least drastic first, then make a decision about a TKR. I teach as well, and I took eight weeks off from 11/08/07 until 1/04/08---but that was really pushing it. I returned a little too early and I paid a price for it. My BTKR told me who was in charge---I dealt with stiffness and soreness.

I think that you can get it done this summer, but one issue may be the OS's operating list---I wanted summer time, but I had to wait until November due the backlog of patients that were ahead of me---perhaps you can get bumped up if somebody cancels?

My best to you!

Well, limpy, I hope you find the way through this maze. Cortisone and Sinvisc injections are only ever temporary and quite frankly, a waste of time, effort and money.

But welcome to BoneSmart anyway and if there are any more questions you want to ask - this is the place to do it!

Hi Limpy,
I agree with Jo, Tim and Jamie. I think you willl be surprised how much better you feel.. Of course you will have some post op pain but is very different and not as intense. You will be able to walk better and haveless pain.
Best of luck
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties