I made it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you get "brave" soon Chrissy.....on BoneSmart we LOVE to see those scars. They are beautiful to us!!!
 
Hi Chrissy,
Sounds like your recovering nicely in such a short time. Funny how we take little things for granted and then when getting better and able to do just the smallest thing like we used to...it's like the seas are parting and were so happy to feel normal again!:jump:

With time you will do more and more just give yourself time and don't rush it. In a couple months you will be doing so much you won't even think about all this!
My scar is still a little sore in the crook of it and itchy inside. You hardly see my other one now.
Keep up the good work, you will get there as Jo says with time!!!
 
Great to hear things are going well - each sucess story makes me feel a little bit better as I wait for my date. Congratulations on your new hip :jump:
 
Thanks for your continued support quys. I can't believe how quickly I've progressed in the past 8 days since I got home from hospital. It's fantastic not to have the pains from the osteo-arthritis and I feel really positive. My husband is amazed at what I can do with my stick and grabber.

I found this forum just a week before my operation on 2nd June and did venture into the post recovery area for tips on recovery. Everything I read has come true. Someone posted that the pain after the op. is a positive pain and you know you are getting better whereas before the op. the pain was so debilitating - that's exactly how it feels. My thoughts are with those of you that are still waiting for your ops. - hang in there it will be worth it.

Chrissy
 
Good to hear about your progress. Somehow I ended up with 3 reachers. One from the hospital and I bought one way before surgery at Walgreens forgetting that I had ordered one on-line which came while I was at the hospital. I actually find that I need all three. One for picking up the one I dropped on the floor and then the other for when I forget where the other two are. I try to have them in strategic places around the house. But alas, they usually end up elsewhere.

I forget that you call crutches sticks in England. My daughter studied in Galway last fall and she described the sticks which look very different than our crutches. She also noted that there seemed to be lots of people walking around with them, more than she observes here walking around with crutches. Her reason was that maybe people just get out and about more in Ireland with broken bones instead of waiting inside to heal.
 
Hi Kathy

You made me LOL about the reachers. I think I need one in every room of my house.:hehe:

I think the difference over here in England between crutches and sticks is that the crutches have albow supports. My OS won't let his patients use crutches as he likes us to put as much weight as possible through the new hip as soon as possible - it flipping hurts though.

Chrissy:catkiss:
 
Actually, crutches are crutches what ever type they are;

shoulder crutches .......... or ........... elbow crutches
[Bonesmart.org] I made it!!
...........................
[Bonesmart.org] I made it!!



Sticks are walking sticks - what you all in the US call canes! :wink:
[Bonesmart.org] I made it!!
 
Chrissy, sounds like you are really doing well. The grabber is your friend!

Kathy I posted the same thing about grabbers early in my recovery. I have them all over the house as well. Never there when you need them are they! I have gotten very good at the golfers reach if I can't find a grabber - but you need to be very steady on your feet and have lots of strength in your non-op side to do it.
 
What's the golfer's reach? :pzld: I'm ready to explore any method of becoming independent (with great care of course!).

I'm just off with my husband for my first 'proper' walk (17 days post op). Hope to at least reach the end of road. I'm not in too much pain but the hip joint feels very stiff despite my physiotherapy.

Chrissy :catkiss:
 
You are an inspiring Junebug!!:jump:
Congratulations!!

C4
 
This is the golfer's reach. See how the leg and hip are in perfect line with the body.
You might need to hold on to something steady like the kitchen counter first few times you do it.
[Bonesmart.org] I made it!!
 
Hi Chrissy,

Jo beat me to the explanation of the golfers reach. Thanks Jo! It takes some time to get used to it. You need lots of strength in the non-op leg. My non-op leg gets very tired after awhile so I watch how often I use this. But is does get you out of a jam when there is no grabber available.

How was the walk? I was about to go out as well and the heavens have opened up! Oh well - tomorrow.
 
Thanks for the explanation of the golfers reach. My non operated leg is quite strong still so I have just had a go. It worked fine and will be useful when my husband is not around to pick up my stick when I drop it.

Does having a hip replacement make us more clumsy?:pzld: I seem to be dropping things all of the time - maybe I've always been like that but didn't notice when I could easily pick things up.

I managed about 400 yds on my walk:jump: I took two sticks but managed with one (husband carried the other). I could probably have gone a bit further but was worried about getting home again.

Have you heard of bio oil? I want to start using it on my scar. Is it too soon Jo ? :pzld::pzld::pzld: My scar looks healed on the surface but is very bumpy. I used it on my husband when he gashed his nose open on a car door and it seemed to work quite well.

Thanks for your continued support

Chrissy:catkiss:(I love the catkiss)
 
I posted the same question about being clumsy pre-op. I think you are just more aware of how much you drop things because you have to plan the pickup.

Good that you can do the golfers reach. Just don't overdo it. It can tire the non-op leg very easily. And you need to make sure you have something to support you.

There are lots of people on this site asking about remedies for scars. Jo will come along and comment I am sure. But having read these posts it seems many people start to have problems with their scars if you start using things like bio oil. I would wait awhile. You will be surprised how fast the scar flattens and starts to fade.

Sounds like you are doing well with your walking too! Just keep adding a bit more each time. You will be hiking soon!

Take care Chrissy. You are making great progress! :thmb:
 
I tnink it's Murphy's Law. I KNOW that I have NEVER dropped so many things in all my life. I even dropped an empty coffee cup on my ceramic tile floor the other day taking it from the basket on the walker to put in the sink. Of course that shattered and of course it was an oversized one so that i didn't have to walk to the kitchen more ofter to refill it.:hehe: That had to wait for poor Bill to get home and vacuum. Now it's plastic for me!
 
Hi Guys,

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or tag this on to my original one (this is the first forum I've joined so I'm still feeling my way around).

I just wanted to say a BIG thank you to Bonesmart for helping me get through the past 6 weeks. All my concerns have been answered so promptly and it really helped to get to know others all over the world who are experiencing the same thing.

I've just started driving short distances again (freedom:D) and have reduced my pain meds on the advice of my OS. He gave me the all clear to fly (I have to wear flight socks, take 300 mg of aspirin and walk around the plane every hour). As a result my husband has booked a last minute trip to Greece next Monday - I'm already packed!! It will be good to do some swimming (front crawl only!) and have a change of scenery.

To those of you who have just had your surgery I wish you well. The first 6 weeks really does pass very quickly.


To those of you still waiting it is worth it and you will get your life back.

:wub:
 
What a sweet hubby to plan a trip for you. I hope you really enjoy it!!! Take things easy and bring back some photos!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom