Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR I had no idea how impacted I was

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying that shiny new hip. Leave us an update when time allows. We'd love to read of your progress.
Until then, wishing you only the best! :wave:
@Chris1962

OP
OP
Chris1962

Chris1962

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Layla, thanks for the well wishes. The botox worked for that wicked muscle spasming, 80%. I am doing well I think. The botox also made my muscles a bit weak but its stabilizing still and my groin pain is settling without that constant aggravation. I sure do get that tired thing after an outing. I am slowly making out in the world ventures. Sometimes I can use my cane and others the walker. For me, it really varies my strength, from day to day. That said, I promised myself to a gentle but committed strengthening time after my 3-month mark. I bought myself a swimsuit yesterday and will dang well go and do my damn strengthening in the pool. This should help conserve my energy so that I can actually strengthen my hip muscles before my MS weakness renders my attempts over. Honestly, I am a bit bummed but am accepting the added challenge as a challenge. hahaaa seems a bit silly to have taken so long to acknowledge this. I will update you soon again. My scar is tender but that is normal. My lower thigh hurts sometimes but that's normal too. I am digging deep for courage and action (gentle and slow but the action is needed now)....five months till I want to be back in the teal waters of Belize. xox:curtsey:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Chris1962 good to hear from you! Overall you seem to be doing well, you're taking things one day at a time and changing it up as needed.

Like that you bought a new swimsuit, good encouragement to follow through with hitting the pool. I just updated some of mine as well. I do so love being in the pool just sometimes get lazy and don't want to get dressed to go there! :heehee: I will get better, we can cheer each other on! :swim: Just don't expect me to swim since I do that like a rock. :)

OP
OP
Chris1962

Chris1962

Country
Canada Canada
ELf, I hear ya. I am gonna go again, it is a hard push. Next time I am gonna put my suit on before I go. It was interesting to feel the hip surgery-related weakness as opposed to the MS weakness. Kickboard was slow, slow and almost no oomph. I have wide feet and used to be able to rocket through the water. I struggle to recognize the impact of surgery on my leg. I am so used to only the MS weakness which is just a weird reality. With the MS I can swim and ride a bike without a rapid decline of strength. Walking just slays me, 1/2 block and the foot drop, no info to the leg muscles kick in. (hence my Belize love, water and my bike 10 feet away at all times). The other weird thing is that I have Utoffs syndrome, which increases my symptoms when my temperature rises. In Belize, I struggle for the first three weeks then adjust and my strength returns and my spasticity disappears because of the high heat and humidity and no cars or curbs. So my mistake at the pool was going in the sauna and not staying there for three weeks. The combined exercise and sauna made my walk with cane back to the shower a dangerous and inch by inch journey. My drive home was very unsafe, I will not do that again. BUT I will go back suit on, no sauna and a long rest before I head to the showers. I am absolutely a lazy butt at home to do any bridges or PT cause I am lazy and it is hard so there is that too.
I need to isolate that hip strengthening, I just do. That said, I am staying put today and this weekend. Monday I will go again. It freaked me out but I am gonna go again. Holy Hanna, I am gonna celebrate any and each little bit of progress because my hip is in there strong and my arthritis pain is gone and my feet are still like flippers. Much love for the encouragement and this place to share.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy to hear you made it to the pool but please be careful with exercising and the sauna/ whirlpool right after. I know the gym I go to recommends 15 minute break before using either. Maybe try doing some water walking and some light leg lifts/ stretches while you're in the water. It might help with the strengthening you want. Just start out slowly as it's so easy to overdo.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I just caught up with your thread and see that good progress is being made.. how wonderful is that :loveshwr:

I found your exhaustion after the sauna interesting.. I used to have a neighbor who was diagnosed with MS and she would always say that heat and humidity exhausted her.
I know we are all different with symptoms, etc. Like just look at the differences in hip recoveries! But thought I would mention it.

I need to resume some swimming.. hard to get to it when it's cold outside. Ok, the pool is indoors but walking in and out.. :ice: bbrrr

Last edited:

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Glad to hear your progress! I have very Narrow feet so they don’t help much with swimming! Just ordered some rash tops for snorkelling.. saves a fortune on suncream and helps the sea environment.

Are you massaging your scar with cream or oil? I found it helped with scar tissue and the appearance of the scar.

Re Bridges. Yuk. They did more harm than good for me in the early stages!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Happy Four Month Anniversary, Chris!
I hope you continue to be pleased with your progress and that you’ve had a good month so far.
Take good care to be safe and stay well. :friends:
@Chris1962

OP
OP
Chris1962

Chris1962

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks Layla, my hip is settling in nicely. I still have tenderness on my scar area and around that area in general. I think this is normal though. I still have a bit of thigh pain when I stand and walk a few steps. I think this is normal too.

The Botox for my MS spasticity Help me through the worst part and now my spasticity is manageable. My walking is still not great but that’s my MS. I did order a very fancy, carbon light walker from Copenhagen. It only weighs 10 1/2 pounds and it’s easy to travel with. It should arrive soon but the world is a bit uncertain right now so we will see. The company is very wonderful. It called byAcre. When it arrives I will be much more inclined to try to build up some strength. Wishing everybody much love and recovery.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom