THR I don't know exactly where to share this so I'll just do it here.

BionicChild

Country
United States United States
For years I've been trying to find the youngest patients to have received a Total Bilateral Hip and Knee Replacement, as well as an Ankle Replacement and I've yet to find any information. If anyone could help me I would be incredibly grateful and appreciative!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. Wondering if you could share a little about yourself so we can make sure your thread is in the proper area.

Have you experienced joint replacement yourself, or are you scheduled for surgery? If so, please share which joint(s) and the dates of surgeries, or scheduled surgeries for each.The info will be applied as your signature and your post located accordingly. Hope to hear from you soon.
@BionicChild

Hi and welcome!
You will get a ton of great advice and support here. My second go around having RHR on Monday.

Have you already had this done?

Hi! Thank you for replying. Here's a little more about me.
I had a Total Bilateral Hip Replacement Nov. 2003 [left hip] and a Total Bilateral Hip Replacement Dec. 2003 [right hip]. I was around 13 years old at the time and had spent 2 years without being able to walk. Doctors didn't know exactly happened, and many of them told me that I would never walk again. I refused to believe that was my fate so I continued looking for alternatives and eventually found an adult orthopaedic surgeon who was willing to perform surgery on a 13 year old.
In April and August of 2017 I had a Total Bilateral Knee Replacement [Apr. For the left knee, and Aug. For the right one.]
On July 31, 2020 I had my right ankle replaced and will most likely need the left ankle replaced too.

:welome: to Bonesmart. I can see your problem not knowing which area to post in. I know we have had TKR (total knee replacement) done for people in their thirties. I’m not sure of ages for hip or ankle replacement. I hope your ankle is healing well.

Hi again, Thanks for your prompt response. What a journey you’ve been on. I hope your joints are serving you well and you’re living a full and active life.
Sweetie, we refer to bilateral replacements as both hips, or knees, being replaced simultaneously under one surgery / anesthesia. So I’m assuming your surgeries were as follows -

Right TAR July 31, 2020
Right TKR August 2017
Left TKR April 2017
Right THR December 2003
Left THR November 2003

Does this appear correct? If so, we’ll apply the info as your signature. We all have one (signature) located on the bottom left, underneath our typed post. See mine...June 27, 2017? This information is helpful when visiting others threads to know how far along they are post op.

So I’m guessing you’re looking for others who’ve had either both hips, knees, or ankles replaced, would that be accurate? There are many members on the forum who’ve had multiple joints replaced. Also bilaterally, under the same surgery and anesthesia.

Many members age can be found beneath their avatar, along with their gender and country, in most cases, just as your info is reflected in yours. I hope this helps and I apologize if I’m not understanding how to help you further. Please let us know if you need something more specific and we’ll do our best to help you get the info you’re seeking.

A peaceful evening to you!
@BionicChild

BionicChild,
We have had more teenage hip replacements than knee replacements.
Here is a list of threads that have been posted by teenager parents.
Teenage hip replacements

RHR = Right hip replacement, here on the forum we refer to it as a Right THR.

That is correct. I was supposed to have both hips and both knees done in one surgery [like hips were one surgery and knees were a second surgery], but when I had the hip replacements I had an undiscovered blood disorder and almost bled to death on the operating table. When I got the knee replacements doctors underestimated how much blood factor I truly needed since I had always been prescribed a particular dose before and after surgery. Both times doctors had to stop half way through surgery only completing one joint at a time. When I had the hip replacements they were only 2 weeks apart and I still bled more than the first time. I was in the ICU for a while trying to recover and getting blood, plasma, and factor to stop the bleeding. Out of 12 pints of blood the body has, I only had 2.

When doctors could not control the bleeding during the knee replacements they decided to wait a couple of months to recover enough so I could have the second knee done. I was told it would take around a year before the second knee replacement, but within 1-2 months I was walking without assistance and was planning for the second surgery.

As for the Ankle Replacement, it's been about a month and a half and I can walk fine without assistance, but my surgeon has me on bed rest and limited motion since he also had to decompress the achilles tendon and some nerves in that area and they have to heal properly.

I'm pretty much just searching to see who the youngest patient to receive all three surgeries is, or rather how old. In 2003 I was told that I was the youngest patient to have both Hips Replaced, but since so many years have passed I'd like to know if there have been other kids [13 or younger] out there with hip/knee/ankle replacements.

Thank you so much for your help !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for replying. I've recently found out that the youngest patient to have a knee replacement was 28 years old. That's older than when I had my knee replacements. I don't know if that's 100% accurate, but at least it's something. I'm more curious about people who have had all three joints done, seeing as I've had both hips, knees, and ankles done before 30 years old.

My ankle is currently doing well. I can walk with no assistance, but my doctor still has me on bed rest and limited motion since he had to work my achilles tendon and several nerves and they need to properly heal.

Thank you so much for your help! I'll certainly look into this.

BionicChild,
For joint replacement, surgeons want the epiphyseal plates to be closed, other wise the opposite limb keeps growing creating imbalances.
Generally the earliest this closure occurs is around 13 years. It would be difficult to find someone younger.
We have had a few members in their teens having TKR's, they usually post, then move on having done well and gotten their lives back.

No need to quote a post, just scoot down to the bottom of the page where you see your avatar and post in the box to the right.

I found a 28 year old who had a knee replacement, and apparently he was the youngest. I was 27 when I had my knee replacements. I'm more curious about hip replacements.

From what Pumpkln explained, above, about how soon the femoral epiphyses (growth plates) close, it's probably not likely that you will find anyone who had a THR when they were younger than thirteen.

Is there a particular reason why you're trying to find out?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom