TKR I’m needing encouragement. Sure glad I found this place.

Yes, continue to use that ice in whatever form that is convenient. It is the simplest start to help keep pain and inflammation under control. HSP is a real thing (just ask any of us that are!) Elaine Aron is the go to psychologist on the subject. She explains that only about 20% of the population is an HSP and that explains the 80% that gets confused or frustrated by us. She describes that 80% are the warrior-leaders and the other 20% are the visionary advisors. Anyway, it is fascinating and life affirming for many who often times felt they just didn't fit in or that there was something wrong with them. Just keep taking it one day at a time. Don't overdo. All this will even out and you'll be back in sync with life both physically and emotionally very soon. B!essings for continued good healing.
 
I’m feeling pretty low today. Every thing seems to be so hard. It took hours to take a shower. I’ve tried to reduce the pain meds I’m taking as the doctor is suggesting. I have a fever and I’m trying my deep breathing exercises to see if the fever reduces. It usually does. I don’t feel like I’m in control. There isn’t anything wrong. I know “post op blues”. I’ll be better tomorrow.
 
Hang in there @Suzola ! This too shall pass! You should look up clips of people's expressions (on rollercoasters) as they go up and down through the ride ... they're vaguely similar to what we going through.

All the best!
 
I will be leaving soon for PT. The medication schedule I’ve been following to wean off Percocet isn’t working. I woke up already in pain. I’ll take 1/2 every 4 hours instead of 5. My pills will run out faster but oh well. And I woke up with a migraine. My husband is already after me about “don’t be whiny”. I think if I get rid of the migraine I can cope with the rest.
 
I will be leaving soon for PT. The medication schedule I’ve been following to wean off Percocet isn’t working. I woke up already in pain. I’ll take 1/2 every 4 hours instead of 5. My pills will run out faster but oh well. And I woke up with a migraine. My husband is already after me about “don’t be whiny”. I think if I get rid of the migraine I can cope with the rest.
I hope your migraine went away. How was PT?

Marie
 
I hope your PT is gentle, since you are in so much pain. Remember, you don’t have to do anything that you don’t feel up to doing. Just leaving the house and the ride there is a PT activity all of it’s own. Feel free to reschedule future appointments until you feel better.

I‘m really sorry your husband seems so uncaring while watching you in pain.
 
For your ice machine get 8 to 12 12 oz water bottles and keep them in the freezer. Take 4 frozen and put into the machine with water filling it up to the line. You won't have to replace for about 8 hours. That was the best tip anyone told me
 
@Jockette @InkedMarie I caved and took unscheduled Percocet this am. I was more worried about throwing up on PT than knee pain. I no longer see her as an angel but she’s not bad. She lightly massaged the muscles around my knee and it was very painful. it was a good session. She’s okay

@sistersinhim he was actually more caring than usual this am. He thinks he’s coaching me.

@ginr we have tried some bottles. Our machine is cube instead of cooler. They don’t seem to fit as well according to my husband.

The day has gone well. I think it’s because of the extra 1/2 Percocet. I understand Drs don’t want patients to be addicted but we have to have enough pain relief to function.

Tomorrow Dr appt. Hopefully staples removed. Have to work on my list of questions. Thank everybody.
 
@Suzola have you tried cool whip containers of ice? That’s what we use in mine....dump the tub of ice in and he refills the container.
Marie
 
My skin hurts. I don’t see anything other than bruises. Can I use cetaphil or cerave? I think the pants I had on were too rough
My TKR was three weeks ago today. I prepared "fashion-wise" by ordering some cute midi dresses. I too, don't want to wear pants or slack to irritate the incision area. I actually felt well enough this weekend to go to a birthday party in one of the dresses. It felt great to put on makeup, wear a pretty dress and see friends, without the incision being so visible. (though many wanted a peek). It's all about slowly getting back to your normal ;)
 
I will be leaving soon for PT. The medication schedule I’ve been following to wean off Percocet isn’t working. I woke up already in pain. I’ll take 1/2 every 4 hours instead of 5. My pills will run out faster but oh well. And I woke up with a migraine. My husband is already after me about “don’t be whiny”. I think if I get rid of the migraine I can cope with the rest.
I'm with you! Weaning off Percocet is hard. I'm taking 1/2 pill every six hours, together with Tylenol. I was taking it with Advil but my B/P started spiking really high. My PCP recommended I stop taking Advil or any anti-inflammatory as it can raise blood pressure. But my goodness, Tylenol has never done much for me. I too am worried about running out of pills! I'm at day #21 ad have no idea how long I'll need them. Good luck to you! We will both get through this :tada:
 
You are still very early days so if you're not ready to wean off the Percocet, then you're not ready. I tried weaning off the oxy too soon and the pain came back. My doc prescribed Advil and Tylenol around the clock alternating every 3 hours along with the oxy and at about 3 weeks post-op I was able to finally wean off the oxy. I took the Advil/Tylenol for another 2 months at least.

I'm very sorry your husband doesn't understand the pain you are going through. Maybe you should load up a video from You-tube showing a knee replacement. Maybe then he'll understand. My husband was a good caregiver but he was terrible at keeping up with my household chores I do every day, dishes, laundry, the dog, etc. He got overtired and grumpy, which he then took out on me. I took to getting my own frozen water bottles at night for the ice machine at around 2-3 weeks post-op.

It might help to remind him (and yourself) of this healing schedule:

[Bonesmart.org] I’m needing encouragement. Sure glad I found this place.
 
My Dr appt today went well. He was pleased with my progress. I got my staples out. We talked about meds and I’m gonna stay on Percocet 1 per 4 or 5 hours and then next week try hydrocodone.

As far as fashion choices the polar cube has been causing me problems at night. I bought some baggy pajama bottoms at the thrift store. Covers the incision. Is a layer between my skin and the wrap. I feel a little more dressed when I take off the wrap. They had lots of kooky colors etc.
 
have you tried cool whip containers of ice? That’s what we use in mine....dump the tub of ice in and he refills the container.
I used those, also, and they can be put into your cooler when keeping frozen and cold food cold. The big blocks are so much better than a bag of ice, which melts very quickly.
 
Hi everyone
I've had a busy week with Dr. appts and PT appts. I am at 17 days. I'm doing ok I guess. Still more pain than I want. I was doing pretty good today until I did my exercises. I can walk around the house some without my walker. I'm spending more time out of bed and using colpac ( ice pack) rather than the breg polar cube. I found a better way to take a shower. My leg is pretty straight. My bend needs to approve but the Dr. said it would come.

So there is LOTS of good news except I'm afraid of running out of pain meds. I'm trying to take 1/2 percocet every 5 hours but so far I have not been able to cut back from there. I can't take nsaids. I don't like asking me Dr. for more medication. I feel guilty or ashamed. And then at night, I start feeling afraid in general. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm embarrassed to admit it. I'm just hoping that after a couple more weeks a lot of this craziness will subside. I tend to run a little on the emotional side anyway. This surgery has sure brought it out! Does this all sound like HSP? Just tell me it will get better. AND SOON!

Thanks for listening. Hugs. I hope you all are doing well.

Susan
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
It does get better. I’m sorry, but I can’t promise the soon part.

Ask your doctor if you can take Tylenol in combination with any other medications you are taking right now.

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

I‘m sorry you’ve had such a busy week with different appointments, that’s a lot of activity for a 17 day old knee. Getting ready, going out, getting in the car, out of the car, into the office, sitting in a waiting room chair with your feet in the floor….need I go on? All that is all the exercise you need, and gives your knee what I like to call “natural PT.” Don’t worry too much about the list you are supposed to be doing.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Hi @Suzola
Maybe it’s time to visit your GP; after all, he/she knows you best, and review your medication. You shouldn’t need to feel afraid of running out. I am sure there’s a better combination for you.
I only get into bed at night and no daytime naps… otherwise I would not sleep through. Have you a comfy chair to rest in during the day, rather than be in bed? Psychologically it’s better to be out of bed during the day.
I have been showering myself from day 1 with no trouble except the step into the shower. I am managing this fine now, though. Do you need a grab rail installed? They are excellent.
I can’t say if you’re an HSP; why not take one of the online quizzes? But if you’re feeling afraid and anxious please see your GP ( is this what you call your regular doctor?)
Best wishes.
 
Thanks everyone. This anxiety is something I deal with a lot. I don’t usually write it down. Things always look better in the morning as they do again today. Thanks for the information about your schedule @kiwicurls and how to schedule Tylenol @Jockette.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom