TKR How long until you said "I'm glad I had the TKR"'

RIT387,
Thanks for your positive thoughts.I am in quite a bit of pain since yesterday since PT session,also. Hope you feel better soon.
 
I don't see my OS until 6 weeks. Two weeks seems way too early to me--my knee is still swollen. I'm also doing my PT online 2x per week through the hospital. It's Physio who monitors how I am doing, how much pain I am in and if I should be taking more meds. I don't know if they even know about this site, but with my first knee they did tell me to back off at one point. Having to challenge or even ignore my OS would add a whole different level of stress to the recovery.
@Freestyle Yes, it all has been so stressful but Bonesmart keeps me grounded. I too didn't challenge my OS and just listened at my six week appointment. I told her I had to think about the MUA and called back and left a message declining. Of course, after researching it reaffirmed my gut feeling that the MUA was not for me. When I canceled my 3 month OS follow up I fully expected to be called and chastised for not rescheduling but haha no one has called. I will go in for my 1-year follow-up or if I have any issues prior to then. My last PT person was reluctant to "release me" in my last Feb appointment and stated in my report. I know they all want the best for us but I still think there is a bias for more surgery or more procedures in Western medicine. It's also my decision on what's next after they provide me information. I always want to take slow holistic approaches first.
 
Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded to my update yesterday. It is comforting to know we have this resource to come back to whenever needed or sometimes daily/hourly to keep grounded. Although I was happy with my ROM number yesterday I now know this is just one marker of recovery and I have a few other challenges to work through still. The recovery isn't over yet! And I hope and pray bigger issues don't crop up later like they do for some here too. This is a big surgery and the parts and pieces are complicated

Be well everyone!
 
There were so many times I wanted to cancel my follow up appointments but I was afraid, what if the surgeon got mad, what if something went wrong later on and they would not take care of it since I had not kept all my appointments, what if I didn’t heal right…And yes, those follow ups did mess with my head and caused me a lot of unnecessary stress.

Well, that was then, and I know so much more now about this recovery, my next recovery, if/when there is one, will go much differently, and I will definitely be in charge, not the scared little newbie I was in this recovery! :yes!:
 
BUT - I walked around the block today, and I'm feeling pretty good. So I've stressing more about what the surgeon will say than I am about my actual ROM. I feel so much better seeing your update on your ROM. THANK YOU!!!

Congrats! I walked around the block today too! I used a cane and was tired! But it's progress!
 
There were so many times I wanted to cancel my follow up appointments but I was afraid, what if the surgeon got mad, what if something went wrong later on and they would not take care of it since I had not kept all my appointments, what if I didn’t heal right…And yes, those follow ups did mess with my head and caused me a lot of unnecessary stress.

I learned from Bonesmart that I can say NO to the PT! And I have. I even told one PT that he scared me. He became reassuring and told me not to worry. Since then, working with him has been good. THANK YOU Bonesmart for giving me the courage to speak up!
 
After I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op I did start saying no at PT, but it took me 7 months to say no to my surgeon, who was a fan of pushing my bend into pain so he could get a good ROM number. :hairpulling:
 
Great results @RIT387
My wife is at 110 ROM at 5 mo PO, with a leg fracture....but hoping we follow similar results over the next few months on ROM.
 
After I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op I did start saying no at PT, but it took me 7 months to say no to my surgeon, who was a fan of pushing my bend into pain so he could get a good ROM number. :hairpulling:
With all this emphasis on high ROM numbers, one should think that someone pays them a premium for them. Please say it ain't so!
 
With other joints (hips and shoulder), for each, there was a day when I felt totally "normal" (except no pain:), moved fluidly, and could handle whatever was in front of me without even thinking about it. That takes time. Now, with a new TKR, I know that time will arrive, but there is no date circles on my calendar. Watch for the little milestones, that marks progress!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom