TKR How long to do Physical Therapy

Hi, my TKR was June 16 and fortunately I am doing well. I was released from out-patient PT last week. My therapist gave me a list of maintenance exercises (only about 30 minutes worth daily) but I forgot to ask how long I should continue them. I have good bend and extension and no pain, and I want to resume some semi-serious hiking. I need to increase my endurance. Are any of you doing maintenance exercises, and, if so, for how long?
Thanks
 
@Toyon
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Toyon,
Happy to hear you are doing well and ready to increase your activity.

How long you do maintenance exercises varies greatly from person to person.
You will need to figure out which exercises still benefit you the most and keep doing them, and quit doing the exercises that are no longer needed.
As you increase your endurance, your knee will let you know if you do too much.
Take your time and listen to your knee.

Remember this recovery is a marathon not a sprint.
 
Hi, I had TKR in mid June and have recovered only to have pain in the front of my "good" knee. My doctor said he has no x-ray of that knee and can't give advice. My physical therapist has said that this is not uncommon for knee surgery patients. I have been using the spin bike more because we have unhealthy air from forest fires for 17 straight days. I've done quad stretches and icing and Aleve but nothing helps. Any suggestions? Thanks
 
Toyon...weird...same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago. My surgery was june 22 and my "good" knee started hurting right in the front of it.i have no explanation for it either. When I see my surgeon in a few weeks will mention it to him and see if he wants to x Ray it. I would recommend the same for you maybe.
 
My old knee acted up while I was healing from my TKR. The better my TKR knee got, the better my old knee got. I bet yours will, too. It has been under a lot of stress with your new knee not able to help out your body's activities more. That will change as time goes on.
 
I have a knock knee issue and very successful surgery in June. No nerve damage. Now, however, my " good " knee hurts. Has anyone had this happen? I posted this before . I would love to get a response. Thanks
 
@Toyon , I copied your post from Yolandamamula's thread about knock knee, so I could answer your question in your own thread. If people started answering your question in her thread, it would have hijacked her thread, taking the emphasis off her and onto you.

Your "good" knee is probably hurting because it has been working overtime, doing double duty while your replaced knee was recovering.

I remember the same thing happening to my other knee when I had a knee replaced.

I also see that you did receive a couple of replies to your question already. Had you lost your thread and not seen them? It's a good idea to bookmark your own thread, so you don't lose it.
 
I agree with Celle, your non operated knee is probably compensating for the one that is recovering. Also, if there’s arthritis in one knee, there’s probably a chance there’s some in the other knee.

Hopefully both knees will improve as you heal more.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom