How I finished up electing to have surgery

I hope all your pre-surgery preparations are going well! I had some lower back pain primarily on my right side (opposite my bad hip) as well as some grumbling in my left knee prior to surgery. Both seemed to resolve very quickly afterwards so were probably the result of limping/bad walking habits. I think you'll find the time you spent in the gym well worth it during your recovery. I did the same thing, trying to focus on upper body and core strength. That made getting out of chairs using my arms and getting in and out of bed relatively easy and I think overall made for a pretty quick and boring recovery for me. Good luck to you and we'll see you on the other side soon!

They did so much imaging on my back, that a neurologist finally decided to order hip xray:shrug:
I think they were working on a referral to a psychiatrist actually:giggle:

Just think, that hip pain will be gone very very soon:yes!:

I've had lower back pain for years but no mistaking my hip pain for lower back pain. After surgery I felt little or no lower back pain until after 6 or 8 weeks when I started getting active again. I have to be careful with my back therapy stretches watching to prevent dislocation. Stretching and Yoga was great for my back pre THR so I'm starting to do it again, just cautiously.

:hi:
Hope your weekend will be relaxing as I'm sure your surgery is foremost on your mind.
The re-start of a life without that horrid hip pain!:yes!:

Wishing you all the best!

I also have more lower back pain than anything else. Hoping it goes away next week also.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery! Looking forward to hearing about your recovery. :flwrysmile:

So, Hi everyone from my hospital bed!

Went into surgery about 4pm. Mighty dry by then as last glass of water was 9am. Had a GA in the end. Anaesthetist couldn't guarantee me remaining sedated during the op. That clinched it. He told me that at my age the pros and cons of GA v. spinal block are pretty well balanced. As it turned out he was right, had a totally absent experience and felt nicely high when I came round at 5:50pm. No sickness. Have not used pain management yet at all yet, pain is 3 out 10. Had light snack and lots to drink at 8pm. Everyone is being very nice to me (could get used to this). Big shout out to my wife who stayed with till op time and came back later and has been incredibly supportive. They're going to get me up tomorrow with Zimmer. Not relishing that Attached is what they drew on me pre-op. Reassuring as I didn't fancy waking up with a new and unnecessary left hip. So now I have foreign objects inside me, and a 62 year-old piece of me is in the bin. Very strange feeling. Still, all good so far...more from me tomorrow. Big shout out to Selkie girl and others who've also crossed d the threshold today.

Attachments

• WP_20180508_15_03_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180508_15_03_35_Pro.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 282
Congratulations and Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
I'm going to leave the Recovery Article. Please read it as it contains a lot of useful info.
When you're feeling up to it, please start a new thread on the Hip Recovery side.

Glad to hear you're doing well! Please don't get into too much pain without taking something. Use lots of ice. You will find it beneficial now and as you move through recovery.
I hope you have a peaceful night!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@rainmaker

Thanks Layla - all the advice and tips are most welcome and helpful. Honestly, I think I got so used to living with pain over the last couple years, this isn't so different in intensity. It is quite consistent tho. and I will ' hit the button' a couple of times before they move me tomorrow. Will start a recovery thread after that. Thanks again, this forum is SO helpful and supportive, such a great resource.

congratulations rainmaker on making it to the other side. Can't have been easy waiting till 4pm....time for lots of butterflies to take wing! Glad you've got the pain relief covered....it can be a bit misleading afterwards because the anaesthetic is still swirling around, but if you keep 'ahead of the pain' it makes a big difference....I was surprised at how little pain I had, and have just tailed off my meds at 6 weeks, with no problem. I had GA and have no memory of my first (second or third) walk with the zimmer....I presume all went well, they started me about 4 hrs after I came up from Recovery. Hope everything goes well for you, and that you'll be home soon and starting the next stage of your life :yay:

:wave:Hooray..all done!
Glad to hear your update and on your way to wellness.
Healing mojo coming your way!

Following this closely as have similar qualms... my hip problem was discovered in a similar way - started with back pain and then hip but a complete shock when I saw the x-ray and it was explained how bad it was.
Good luck with your recovery. I will be about 3 months behind you re the op and recovery so will follow with interest. Glad you have a supportive wife. I have a husband that can cook - which is probably why I put weight on in the first place ! :)

Hi rainmaker! I am going in for my surgery May 18. I'm also having a lot of back pain. When I say 'back' pain - it mostly feels like the area around my SI joint, not actually spinal. Please keep us informed of your progress!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Sylvie616
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom