TKR Hospital stay

@Furbabymom
You will notice I have moved your thread to pre op, many post op members check the pre op threads and will reply.
Good luck in your search for a new surgeon.
Chris
 
YOU are the one calling the shots.
 
That seems to be happening here too, in Canada. I would never have been able to do my TKR outpatient, even 2 nights wasn't enough as I was in such bad shape and pain plus nausea, no appetite...ugh! It was a huge success in the end but the beginning was tough.

There have been at least 3 or 4 on this site that recently had TKR's, some bilateral on outpatient basis. Maybe they can pipe in. I can't even imagine it. I was recently in hospital for a week after breaking my femur and ORIF surgery. Good luck whatever you decide. You do what is best for you.
I live in Canada, booked for June 1. Plan is for one night stay, then home.
 
Best wishes to you for a successful surgery. They must be doing something different these days that enables people to go home so soon. I actually saw a segment on the news several weeks ago about out patient knee and hip replacements being practised now and successful.
Let us know how it goes.:flwrysmile:
 
They must be doing something different these days that enables people to go home so soon.
I don't think the surgery itself is any different.

The people who have same-day discharge are chosen carefully as those least likely to have any complications, whose current health is good, and who will have help at home.

There is provision made for a patient to stay overnight, if they are not yet doing well enough to be sent home.
 
I had my TKR in January. My paperwork from the OS indicated I would stay 2 nights. I had my surgery about 2 in the afternoon. The next morning the OS came in and discharged me. I had to scramble to get a ride home. I was no worse off than when I had my other surgeries. I actually had much less pain than my previous surgeries.
 
When you are discharged is based on several factors. Usually if your pain is controlled and you've completed what the hospital PT requires, then the surgeon will look at releasing you. I believe if your going home to a house with multiple levels that plays into the decision also.
 
FurBabyMom: Yes, definitely trust your instincts. I had total confidence in my surgeon. For my RTKR in June 2019, I was scheduled to stay one night in the hospital. BUT, the next day, I couldn't be vertical without my BP plummeting! Scared me so much that I didn't want to go home. I stayed another night. For my LTKR in April 2021, I stayed one night. I didn't have any BP issues, so I went home the next day. I can't imagine doing TKRs as an outpatient but everyone's experience is different. I felt more comfortable with at least one night with the nurses who gave me IV fluids, took my vitals every couple of hours, and generally kept their watchful eyes on me. My wonderful husband is an excellent caregiver but he's not a medical professional. And, I think it's important to have total confidence in your surgeon. After all, it is MAJOR surgery!
 
I was shocked to find out this surgery is now out-patient. When I had my right knee done 10 years ago I spent 2 nights in the hospital! My brother in law had his knee replaced 18 months ago and it was out-patient, he came home the same day. I have the option to stay overnight in the hospital and I'm going to take it. I asked my BIL if he would do the same thing again and he said no. He'd stay in the hospital if he could do it over. He got very little sleep at home and thought his pain would have been better managed. I realize everyone is different and those that did well going home the same day, more power to you! I'm going to split the difference and stay one night.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom