THR Hoosier78's Recovery Thread

It is hard to believe I am at day Day 25 post-op. I am off the pain med and am having a hard cider to celebrate. PT yesterday was fine. My PT agrees with my surgeon that my my main goal is to work on my gait. I have walked the wrong way for so long that even though I am almost totally pain free, I default my walk to the old way, leaning towards one side and limping but I'm getting better!!!
 
@hoosier78 as someone who has 'walked the wrong way' for a long time, be prepared for soreness, tenderness and stiffness as you correct it. I was zipping along on recovery, feeling no pain and then started walking 'correctly'. Have had unexpected soreness ( not pain, just 'ugh'). Been on a fun vacation, but ready to get home and do focused walking times. Remember the chant 'heel-toe, heel-toe'! Oh, eat bananas (or take lots potassium). Still better than original hip pain!!!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Sounds like you're doing well. Try heel toe walking in an effort to lose the limp and see what you think...
Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
A great week to you and best of luck as you move forward.
@hoosier78
 
:wave:Practice makes perfect...for breaking bad habits.
I found it also can cause some other "new" aches as all gets straightened out.:umm:

Hope all is continuing to go well!:yes:
 
Hi everyone! So, I had my 6 week follow-up on October 2. Doc says I am doing awesome and cleared me to do anything except high impact. Lawn finally cut and now the leaves are falling! I am back to work in Chicago - 1.5 hour ride each way from NWI on days I don't have PT but it's not bad. I am still going to go to PT for a few more weeks. Now that they know I am cleared they are pushing me. Not more than I can handle though. The soreness is strangely refreshing - muscles that haven't been used in 3 years getting activated. I am so glad I went through this and wish I did it earlier. The entire process has been so much easier than I thought. I still can't put on my right sock yet without that plastic sock puller thingy but the bend is getting better day by day.
 
Great update.
I am so glad I went through this and wish I did it earlier.
This will be very comforting to pre-op bonesmarties and not the first time I've heard it said.
Glad all is going well...Still lots of healing happening ..so I'm sure you will get to ditch the "sock puller thingy" at some point!
Have a great day!
 
Thanks for the update! You're doing well. Great news on your doctor visit.
I'm amazed and impressed you're handling that commute.
It took me a few months to be comfortable in the car for more than 30-45 mins. I used to bring an ice pack.
In all honesty, I think it served as more of a distraction than anything.
Hope you have a great week!
@hoosier78
 
Congratulations on your successful recovery! I am 3 days post op and I can already agree wholeheartedly that I should have had this done a year ago! Every one of my friends who had theirs done (popular surgery around here) told me that I would be saying I wished I had done it earlier. Your quick recovery is an inspiration!
 
Also....I am amazed how minimal the scar is. Not that I was planning for the Speedo or anything but it looks more like a healed cat scratch LOL. I was dreading some Frankenstein looking thing.
 
Hi there :wave:
Decent looking scar....added bonus! No Speedo's allowed here :heehee:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great day and rest of the week :SUNsmile:
@hoosier78
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. Leave an update next time you stop by.
It's an inspiration to those following behind you.
A great holiday season to you!
@hoosier78
 
LOL thank you @Layla and no foxes got me!. I am doing well. Took my first trip by plane over the Thanksgiving holiday and didn't set off the scanner on either end. I came home and got out my metal detector and ran it over my hip just to make sure there was something in there. It sounded off so I guess TSA didn't care......If I am completely honest, I will admit I haven't been keeping up with my exercise and I seem to be regressing in stuff like putting my sock on etc. so anyone out there just out of surgery.....stay with the PT and don't quit moving that hip!
 
Took my first trip by plane over the Thanksgiving holiday and didn't set off the scanner on either end. I came home and got out my metal detector and ran it over my hip just to make sure there was something in there

That is funny! :heehee: Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks for the update too, it's always nice to hear how others are doing.
I hope you have a great week!
@hoosier78
 
Back
Top Bottom