THR Hip Surgery done and Home

Covid has certainly changed a lot of social activities and even without recovery it is more isolating. We are watching a lot of older shows on Amazon Prime especially some British series from beginning to end. I tend to go for British mysteries since they are less bloody (at least the ones I watch) and I love the scenery and no guns except for sport shooting.

I hope your day is peaceful.

Oh, that first shower! It was wonderful. Hope you got a good report from the nurse and your incision is healing nicely.

Hi I am fresh from a shower (the first!) and dressing change. The incision looked good she said, just a little weeping but I had a red rash around it. She sent pics to the nurse and they felt it was an allergic reaction to the mesh applied over the incision. So that was removed and steri strips applied. I'm glad because it was itching and I do recall it doing that last year too. The incision is about 14 cm so definitely longer than my incision from last surgery...which is a bummer but can't be helped. After all that I was pooped! Was going to attempt making dinner tonight but that’s out the window. Hubby is picking up a meal. @Layla I will check out the social room. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
First showers are so wonderful and refreshing even if exhausting.

I am amazed you were even thinking of cooking this early post surgery. I did no cooking for a few weeks after surgery. Too much standing and getting tired.

I hope you enjoyed your take out meal and are resting with lots of ice. Have a peaceful evening.

:friends:Hi @Harpcat
Brave lady.... Watching an actual THR surgery...:dubious:
I managed an animated version and was amazed also at how medical technology makes it possible for us to stay healthy and mobile.
Truly a blessing and I remain grateful.

Hope today is restful and healing.

I am having increased drainage onto my dressing. Home health returns tomorrow and will look at it. They’ve asked me to stay off it tonight and just keep icing and elevating. I didn’t have any drainage with my other hip so this really surprised me. I hope all is ok, it’s a bit worrisome. Do any of you have words of wisdom?

Just take extra care to keep it covered and as sterile as possible, not touching the area with your bare hands. At only nine days post op hopefully it’s just healing slowly.

Signs to watch for include -
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

Stay in touch and let us know how your visit with the home health nurse goes tomorrow.
@Harpcat

The incision was re dressed Monday and the new dressing covers it so I can’t see it. Tomorrow she will come by to look at it. Fingers crossed it’s not serious! I can’t tell if it’s warm because I'm on the ice all the time! Lol

You are wise to relax and keep up,with the icing. I Hope you have a good visit with your home health person.

So just now back finally with an update. The skin around my incision erupted in little blisters or vesicles that were weeping serous fluid. The doctor decided to have me apply a wound care solution to the area 4x daily at 15 minutes a pop and then apply a new dressing. So that began yesterday. Home health will return on Monday to do another check and doctor consult. Hoping it won’t need this much longer.
On a positive note I get to toss the TED hose on Monday! Yippee! That’s a week sooner than last year's surgery. Curious how long others out there were required to wear them.
my energy has definitely increased and I feel like actually doing things. I did laundry today (out of underwear..lol) and took another shower, my second. I even sat down and played my harp for the first time. I sure hope this pain in my lower leg goes away. Have a good rest of the weekend everyone!

Well, you got off easy on the TED hose! I had to keep mine on for 2 and a half weeks. What a blessed relief when they could go! But I guess they worked — no blood clots, not much swelling and very little bruising. Except for your incision issue, it sounds like you are doing very well!

Well, you got off easy on the TED hose! I had to keep mine on for 2 and a half weeks. What a blessed relief when they could go! But I guess they worked — no blood clots, not much swelling and very little bruising. Except for your incision issue, it sounds like you are doing very well!
yes last year it was 3 long weeks!

Loooong weeks...congrats for being able to ditch those horrid things earlier this time around...
Great to hear you are able to get back to your beautiful instrument @Harpcat
So jealous for your musical talent.
Hope this week is sweet

Well not so fast...he made me keep the dreaded hose another week! I am finished with the wound treatment regimen and the skin no longer has blisters but it’s so dry from the solution! Then I got an outbreak of hives all over! We think it started from the allergic reaction to the mesh and snowballed. So now treating that. On a positive I transitioned to a cane this week. It’s been such a different recovery from my other hip but as the PTA said, hips are not twins, they’re sisters. So true! And I went for a drive and an ice cream. First time out of the house in two weeks. Felt good!

Oh my stars...and hives.:groan:
Hope they subside very soon.
Great news on graduating to the cane and getting out some.
hips are not twins, they’re sisters
Love this:roseshwr:
Even when mine were done together, there were differences.
Might be stealing this.:wink:

Hope the rest of your week is Sweet, @Harpcat

I seem to have a deep ache in the hip socket and a pain that is in my calf. Hurts when I walk or do the PT exercises. Wondered if anyone else ever felt this? It is upsetting to have this when I’m walking.

I had weird pains pop out all over the place in the weeks after surgery. I just kept thinking, "What now?"

I definitely had the deep ache in the hip. It came and went, but that was the one that was hardest to shake for me.

Your surgeon rearranged a bunch of tissues and bones during your surgery and your body is trying to get back to normal, so I think weird pains are par for the course.

If it hurts when you are doing it, back off. It won't put your healing behind if you back off, but it will put you back if you overdue it. That's your body's way of warning you that you are over-doing it. I'm sorry you are hurting! Hang in there!

hips are not twins, they’re sisters
Love this:roseshwr:
Even when mine were done together, there were differences.
Might be stealing this.:wink:
I thought it was a brilliant statement as well. I just hope I never have to find out, I've delt with sisters before. :heehee:

Your surgeon rearranged a bunch of tissues and bones during your surgery and your body is trying to get back to normal, so I think weird pains are par for the course.
Yes you’re right. I have dysplasia so he had to deepen the socket too as well as remove the 3 screws first from my previous fracture so it was a lot of manipulation. It’s just that my other hip was sooo much easier that I expected the same, but now I know this is the evil sister :gaah:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom