Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Hip Replacement in my future

OP
OP
A

ANP63

Country
United States United States
Hi Mojo333, Belated Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you as well. No, the OS told me on 10/22 that she wanted me to lose 30 lbs., and when I weighed in on 12/3, I had only lost almost 20, so she postponed the surgery to March 16th. It sucks, and my pain has increased, but it is what it is. I will be able to lose the weight, and have the surgery. I'm getting there, and hanging in there. Sorry I didn't update the thread, but thanks for checking in on me. :)

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
OS told me on 10/22 that she wanted me to lose 30 lbs., and when I weighed in on 12/3, I had only lost almost 20, so she postponed the surgery to March 16th
Good grief, almost 20 lbs in a little over a month is a phenomenal amount of weight loss...I think you've done splendidly!:tada:
Hope you are hanging in there and stick to what you're doing.
Pray the next few months fly past.:praying:

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4: Congratulations on losing the almost 20 lbs! Not easy with a bad hip, I know! :wave:Sorry your pain is increasing. Mine, too.

My neuromuscular DO, suggested to me, to start using the tools now, such as the sock helper, and long shoe horn to take my socks off, so I would not keep feeling that severe pain when dressing, and further irritating the joint. I also bought some Merrell Jungle Mocs, for strurdy, slip in slip out shoes, to reduce bending my hip joint, too. Another Bonesmarty suggested them. Not my style, necessarily, but my feet love them, so they are my new style. They prevent the occasional pivot, which is a real ouchie to my bad hip.

If you live where there is some snow, my local sporting shoe merchant suggested I just loosely lace my big snow boots, rather than get the elastic laces he sells,and then just use the long shoe horn. I have a metal one, rather than the plastic. Snow boots are heavy.

If the hip pain gets real bad, I use crutches to help rest the joint even more, around the house, and it does help calm it down a bit.

You are not the only one trying to lose weight before surgery on this forum. :friends:Wishing you success!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@ANP63 Hello! I just wanted to check in with you and see how you are holding up?
So sorry that you've now been moved to March. But January is almost over with and I hope it's passing by as quickly for you as it is for me.

Wishing you comfortable sleep and tasty, healthy diet dishes while you wait. Oh and pain free days.. or at least moments!

OP
OP
A

ANP63

Country
Hi everyone. I haven't been on much because I was really getting depressed about my weight loss and surgery. Well my original OS was very adamant about me losing the weight and it didn't seem to matter to her how much I had already lost and how much pain I was in, (they even told me that TLHR is considered an elective surgery) so I switched to another doctor. He is under the same hospital system, so had access to all of my MRI's and xrays, so we didn't have to start from scratch. He took new xrays, and in 5 months I have gone from mild collapse to looking like a shark took a bite out of my hip.

TLHR is scheduled for 6 April, and it seems that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I know that it won't get postponed again if I don't lose the additional 10 pounds. He said that while it would be better for me if I could lose more, he says that it won't make that much of a difference. Thank you all for the support, it really does mean a lot.

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
I am so glad to hear this:

TLHR is scheduled for 6 April, and it seems that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I know that it won't get postponed again if I don't lose the additional 10 pounds.
I am 17 days post surgery at this point. We will support you along the way. Try and visit more often? You are not alone in this THR journey.

I am so glad you switched surgeons. That was a very smart idea.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@ANP63 that is wonderful news! I am so happy to hear that you persisted and found yourself a reasonable surgeon.
Now we need to get you to April! It will begin to move quickly, or at least it seemed to do so for me.
A moderator will update your surgery information in your signature and add you to the April surgery group. There you will be able to find others who share the same surgery month as you.

Congratulations again, so proud of you for persisting.. :egypdance:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Wonderful news @ANP63 :happydance:
Sorry to hear your hip is in such bad shape, but so great that you now have a surgeon who can rid you of the horrid hip pain and help you get your life back.
Roll on April!:yes!:

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
So happy you found another surgeon and will soon though not soon enough for you get rid of that awful pain. Now that you have a date you can slowly since your hip will not allow you to go quickly anyways, at least mine did not pre surgery, get yourself and your house ready. I found focusing on getting ready and counting down helped me get through the waiting.

OP
OP
A

ANP63

Country
Hi everyone. Had my preop blood tests & EKG done today. Everything was good except my blood pressure was all over the place. Not surprising since I was anxious about something going wrong today and that it would get cancelled. UGH.. The hospitalist said she did not see any reason for the surgery to get canceled. Nothing stuck out to her that would cause it to be cancelled. Have an appt with my primary doc just to get the clearance for the surgery. BP should hopefully be good tomorrow. =)

Has anyone been given Ensure Pre-Surgery drink? They gave it to me today to drink prior to surgery. Had never heard of it before.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @ANP63
Have heard of the Ensure protocol more and more on the site...though I was given the standard "nothing to eat or drink after midnight" .
I believe the belief is that this helps to reduce insulin resistance and improve patient outcomes.

Sounds like you are set to go....
We will be rooting for you and glad you will rid yourself of hip pain!:egypdance:

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
I was advised to drink a similar product for 5 days pre surgery and 5 days post surgery. It was full of vitamins and minerals. My belief is basically if it is going to help my body recover from the shock of surgery and any blood loss than I will follow through.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Harryrightknee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom