Revision THR Hip pain 20 months post op

Hi @Dirtynes I reckon Andy’s hip will last a lifetime anyway. I have been so impressed with how my recovery has gone. Only 4 months in and I am back running, it’s just brilliant. I hope you can resolve your issues and also get your knee done by Andy, I understand he’s also a good choice for them.
 
Thanks All

Reading another post on the forum I am wondering if I have damaged the hip when bending. I felt something "go" in my hip in November and since then I have had discomfort. The X-ray's didn't find any significant changes however the area below the femoral head feels painful to touch and just doesn't feel right.

I am wondering if it could be something like a hairline fracture of the femur that could not be seen on the X-ray?

Nick
 
any mention of infection obviously interests all of us!

i understand the prosthesis has no interaction with any aspect of blood system. Eventually new growth is promoted but still, it is enclosed within the body and would sit distinct.

at the same time, given we are on earth where everything, no matter how hard you try, is covered by microbes….a prosthesis externally can be contaminated by microbes en route to placement. These then can be imported into the body and would multiply and wait for any opportunity of a small bruising somewhere to create opportunity for blood contamination to enter from the external areas of the prosthesis into the blood…and thereby contaminating the areas around where the prosthesis sits and the new cells have grown.

that to me makes sense.

so the area is contaminated from the prosthesis and slowly infects from outside to into the human system.

the other way….for blood to deliver microbes released from mouth or other wound of us elderly (which lets face it is hugely frequent given we all experience dental problems amd other problems, including other surgeries, as we age)… would mean we would all face a much higher incident of infection to prosthesis area than what we now do. Infections to hip prosthesis area would be up 90% incident level if it was from blood stream!

since infections to hip area are negligible….. I think we can all stop worrying about dental work or other cuts and scrapes, surgeries etc being the culprit of infection to hip. It just doesnt make sense and is not supported by facts.

to me the point of infection would be from the surgical area immediately surrounding the surgery or the prosthesis itself from manufacturing.

and then the weak point would be some overuse which creates bruising at some point from prosthesis to human flesh…and thats the way in to the area from which it might spread…all then depending on the immune system of the owner!

because if we fight to keep our immune system top notch, it will encounter any microbe and of course do its job.

that is my thought.
so….keep healthy…eat right…. Get vitamins because our fruit and veg is very low on them if we live in cities! Help your immune system to do its job!

and stop worrying. We stand a higher chance of injuring ourselves in falls or being killed by busses….given the way some people drive these days!
 
Most surgeon recommend antibiotics the first 2 years after surgery.
Back in 2003, the American Dental Association (ADA) and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) issued a joint statement, saying patients should take one dose of antibiotics an hour before dental procedures for the first two years after they received a knee or hip replacement.
 
Back in 2003, the American Dental Association (ADA) and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) issued a joint statement, saying patients should take one dose of antibiotics an hour before dental procedures for the first two years after they received a knee or hip replacement.
There have been some updates on these recommendations.
You can check out this article in our library.
 
I am wondering if I have damaged the hip when bending
Highly unlikely.
I am wondering if it could be something like a hairline fracture of the femur that could not be seen on the X-ray?
Can you get your GP to refer you for a CT scan?
@Jaycey
I was doing squats at the gym when I had an odd feeling in the top of my thigh and it hasn't been right since then. Probably a bit more that just bending as I alluded to...
 
Hi @Dirtynes I reckon Andy’s hip will last a lifetime anyway. I have been so impressed with how my recovery has gone. Only 4 months in and I am back running, it’s just brilliant. I hope you can resolve your issues and also get your knee done by Andy, I understand he’s also a good choice for them.

Great to see you back running.

I have started to do some jogging of late, about 10 months after hip 2 and over 1 year after hip 1.

How did you program in your running, distance etc regards building up distance and speed?
 
I was doing squats at the gym when I had an odd feeling in the top of my thigh and it hasn't been right since then. Probably a bit more that just bending as I alluded to...

Hello and Happy Tuesday!
Try abstaining from this activity and see if rest and icing bring you relief.
Fingers crossed. :fingersx:
 
Hi @Ric A I went back to good old Couch to 5k and am not worrying at all about pace. Once I am comfortable at 5k I will stay there for a bit, not yet sure whether I want to get back to 10ks. I certainly don’t intend doing anything greater than 10k (although I live in the city that hosts the 10 mile Great South Run and get tempted by that each year…)
 
Hi @Ric A I went back to good old Couch to 5k and am not worrying at all about pace. Once I am comfortable at 5k I will stay there for a bit, not yet sure whether I want to get back to 10ks. I certainly don’t intend doing anything greater than 10k (although I live in the city that hosts the 10 mile Great South Run and get tempted by that each year…)

Ok thanks.

Sounds that conservative approach is a good plan.

Good luck.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom